Vibes

I have vibrations....sometimes or at least I notice it sometimes, not good vibrations (see Beach Boys). I have Michelin Pilot Road's. It seems I notice the vibrations after riding for an hour on the bike at highway speeds. I have been trying different tire pressures in the front but nothing has really helped that much. So far I have tried between 30-36 PSI on the front. I have put on different grips (helped a little but pretty marginal). I have not tried getting the tire balanced. I will say that riding with the vibrations is pretty bad and ruins the riding experience. If I go for a short say 30-45 minute ride no issue. I had vibrations on my first FZ1 (same year as I have now) and the symptoms seem to be the same. This was the thread I started about it as the time:

http://www.998cc.org/forum/fz1-mods/7406-recommendations-grips-help-vibrations.html

Last edited:
Worn tires?

How many miles on your current rubber? It could be as simple as the front or rear tire being worn. A slightly under inflated tire can wear in a cupped pattern that is hard to see, but can be felt at speed. When I changed my tires, I noticed a definate improvement right away. Also check all of your suspension settings if you have not already. My money is on the tires.

How many miles on your current rubber? It could be as simple as the front or rear tire being worn. A slightly under inflated tire can wear in a cupped pattern that is hard to see, but can be felt at speed. When I changed my tires, I noticed a definate improvement right away. Also check all of your suspension settings if you have not already. My money is on the tires.

Papa, I am not wanting to hijack your thread.... :)
I have 3300 miles on my 2008.

I'm certainly glad you got it fixed. You now have saved yourself a bunch of dough as the tire changer and balancer will pay for themselves on your next tire change or two. At least now you can feel relaxed heading into triple digits............on the track of course!:innocent0002:

My next change will finish paying off the tools. About 50 bucks of savings and everything will be paid off so next change will finish paying the tools and save me around 20, from that point on its all gravy!

I went to the dealer to pick up a couple of parts that I ordered and stopped by and spoke with the service manager about the vibration topic. He came out and looked that the tires, we turned on the bike, listened to the idle. I am going to make an appointment to have them balance the front tire. He thinks if that does not fix it, there may not be much more to do much, he thinks it is likely the vibration coming from the motor. He did ask if I had tried putting the stock windscreen back on, maybe the greater resistance on the larger cee bailey screen that I had might be contriubting, have not tried the switch yet, it has been too wet. I did buy a crampbuster and that may provide some relief.

Back