Vibes

I have searched this forum, and only a few threads come up but none answer what I am about to ask.

I did my own tire change last weekend, installed Dunlop Q2's. I lined up the red paint mark with the valve stem, and then seated the bead. I removed the wheel weight, and installed the recommended 1oz of DynaBeads.

Now on a closed course, when I hit 95mph to 100 ish, I get a vibe. Feels like the tire is going up and down. It only feels like the front, rear seems fine but I can feel it in the bars. I did not go any faster than that, so I am not sure if it stops after a certain speed. Under 95, its smooth as butter.

What should I do? I have more DynaBeads, do you think I should add some more to the front and seeing what happens? Maybe .5 oz? IF it gets worse, then just completely removing them and seeing how it is with no weight at all. What do you guys think of that?? What gets me is that the wheel weight that was on the front from the factory, was the same as the rear. Both were marked "20"... I am not sure what that means, however I put 2oz of the beads in the back and 1oz in the front.

Thanks in advance for any input! Much appreciated!

- Geno

Last edited:
No, It is just a simple air compressor... I don't see how any water could have gotten in there though, as I did it in my room which was room temp. No humidity or anything....

What if I let all the air out and just refilled it, could that make any difference?

They are right about the dyna beads. We used to use a product called equate in large truck tires, well that was more like a powder substance and when customers would put their own air in without filters on their compressors the equate would clump up. Now Im not sure if dyna beads are powder but there is a product out there called Counteract. They are little glass beads that do the same thing and aren't changed by moisture. The other thought is that the bead to wheel clearance is really tight, so your tires may have not seated all the way. Easy to see with a flashlight and going around the lip of the rim there should be a small line on the tire that is the same distance all the way around from the lip of the wheel. Hope this helps. good luck

Well today I added another half ounce of beads..

Yeah, same problem. Pretty hardcore vibes going on from 95 and up. I havent gone past 108, but they just get worse the faster it goes.

Under 90, its fine... No clue.

I guess my next move is to get them out of there, and try it with nothing, then from there if I need it balanced I will just take it to get balanced.

So just called the bike shop, they told me theres a shot of it just being a defective tire if it feels like its jumping up and down like the way it is, at the speeds it is.

What makes no sence to me is.. If the dyna beads were not working, wouldnt it show up a lot sooner than 95mph?

Pulled the beads out, went down to the tire shop, they static balanced it. They put an ounce on there. I am going to drive it sometime soon, waiting for traffic to clear up before I can take it out to those speeds it was having an issue. Will report back when I know whats going on.

They said if that doesn't work, then the tire is defiantly the problem.

Pulled the beads out, went down to the tire shop, they static balanced it. They put an ounce on there. I am going to drive it sometime soon, waiting for traffic to clear up before I can take it out to those speeds it was having an issue. Will report back when I know whats going on.

They said if that doesn't work, then the tire is defiantly the problem.

Isn't it funny that it took one ounce, exactly the same amount of Dynabeads. I am really thinking that you had some moisture in there and clumped up the beads. Did you try a high speed run again before removing them from the wheel?

I did not try anything after removing them. I just took them out, and by the way they were not gunked up or anything. Tire was perfectly dry inside, they were rollin around like no ones business.

I do not think the beads are at fault here. Now I have driven it after a normal static balance, and its not perfect. It is better than it was by a bit, but it is not butter smooth like the stock tires were.

I think dunlops have terrible quality control and I am going to Michelin next time. I don't believe this tire is perfect, and that is throwing it off just a bit at those speeds. Too bad too because they stick like glue, but then again I don't need this kind of sport tire and I think the PR2 rear with a PP2CT front will be a perfect combo for me. Should have done that from the get-go, but that's OK. The rear is going to flat spot soon enough, and then I will switch over.

Last edited:
Why not contact them to complain. I believe that you have a safety issue that needs to be addressed. They should replace the tire if need be. Seriously, if you call them and have a legitimate argument I bet they would take care of you. Remember! The squeaky gear gets all the oil!

I need to run it again. But honestly I do know they are not as smooth as the D221's were. Which is sad. I am going to contact Riders Discount again, thats where I got them. He told me to get it balanced normally and then we will see where we are from there.

He then said if it was bad, I would have to send it to him then he may send me a new one. That is not how this is going down, I will not have no bike for 3 weeks while I deal with tire bs.

I don't know if right now they are fine and I am just looking for something, but I do know its a ton better than it was maybe it is fine right now. I am just super tired and cannot get my thoughts together currently.

If you haven't contacted Dunlop yet, do it as well and let them know what's going on--this may be a known issue or valuable information for them.

Out of curiosity, have you tried a) removing the tire and re-mounting in a different orientation? b) balancing with weights

It is lined up with the red dot and the valve stem, and its currently balanced like a normal setup with weights. They did a normal static balance on it.

I have no contacted dunlop yet. I am going to drive it again, with an open mind next day that is not raining before I start talking to people about it. Today was kind of windy, it may be fine right now and i was just exaggerating wind pushing on my arms causing the bars to shake a little.

I DO know that with the dynabeads, the front was jumping around like a freaking trampoline though.

Went to harbor freight today and got the static balancer which was on sale for 45. Also grabbed wheel weights. I'm going to pull the front and double check their work. I should have just done this in the first place but hey, live and learn right.

I got a ton of vibration with my stock Dunlops. I did all sorts of stuff to try and get rid of the vibration including inserting lead weights in to my bars. When I got my BT016 installed it was SOOOOOO much better. Not sure if it was the Dunlop or the fact that it wasn't balanced worth a crap from the factory.

Alright, I should have updated this a few days ago but been busy riding LOL.

Anyways, I static balanced the front myself. They were almost spot on but I got it perfect. I left the dynabeads in the rear, as it is fine back there and now the front is fine as well.

However, my next set of tires I am just going to static balance from the start on my own, make things a lot easier.

So the tire was not a defect, for some reason the beads just did NOT want to work up there. I am already thinking about what I am going to try next, as I have already logged like 800 miles on these bad larrys and I don't see them lasting more than 3500-4K... I might go back to Pilot Powers but try out the 2CT. Not sure yet, so far other than these problems I really like these things. The grip is just unreal.

:)

Last edited:
I'm certainly glad you got it fixed. You now have saved yourself a bunch of dough as the tire changer and balancer will pay for themselves on your next tire change or two. At least now you can feel relaxed heading into triple digits............on the track of course!:innocent0002:

Back