Vibration after sprocket change

I recently purchased a Renthal 16 tooth front sprocket for my 2009 FZ1. ..... After fitting I noticed the transmission was noisier and slight vibration in the pegs . After a day or two the Fairing was buzzing and vibrating at different rpms and worse when on the power.
I tried all the usual 'cures' such as greasing all the fairing joints etc, but the buzzing kept returning . Anyway, I noticed that the Renthal sprocket was a lot lighter and also didn't have the rubber cush either side to cushion the links landing on the sprocket....... I managed to source a 16 Tooth sprocket from Yamaha ,(Early R1), with the same weight and cush rubber as the original...... After fitting this the vibration and fairing buzzing disappeared.
I tried to claim my money back for the unusable Renthal but they, (Demon Tweeks ), refused , saying it had been used !......:cuss:

I think what you're experiencing with an aftermarket sprocket is normal. Most use the Gen 1 front sprocket because it has rubber in it.

Mine made a bit more vibration. I fixed the speedo/windshield buzz permanantly, but honestly don't remember what I did. Honestly though my wifes 8 is bone stock with 5k on the clock and it vibrates almost as bad.

I have the Renthal 16T countershaft sprocket. I noticed "something" after the change, but that something didn't bother me enough to worry about it. The biggest thing I noticed was having to rev the bike more on highway runs, but that has ceased to bother me too. Fazer likes to rev.

Just to let you know that having covered a couple of hundred miles I can confirm that the change back to an original Yamaha sprocket has made a huge diff to the bike ..... transmission noise gone and Fairing buzzing and vibration gone except for a small band around 5,000 rpm.
If you have a noisy bike /fairing , and don't know the bike history , then I'd recommend you check to see that a sprocket with the rubber cushion is fitted .All the best Mike .......:cloud9:

Back