Ways to raise rear ride height???

NightTrain

I am installing the shock I purchased from loosenut (modified by after-shocks) and while I'm at it I want to raise the rear slightly... I feel the handling is a bit sluggish and this has always worked on previous bikes. Can washers be added, or do I need to buy different bones? I saw a post on building adjustable linkage's (r1 shock install) but I'm looking at other options too. Will R1 bones do the trick? Let me know what has worked, will try this on a budget first.

The adjustable dog bone is easiest way to go, but an ever easier (and cheaper) fix is to lower the forks in the triple trees. Start out with a 5mm drop and see how you like it. That should quicken the steering enough for you to notice.

The adjustable dog bone is easiest way to go, but an ever easier (and cheaper) fix is to lower the forks in the triple trees. Start out with a 5mm drop and see how you like it. That should quicken the steering enough for you to notice.

That too, though I worry that clearance suffers. Anyone here know how to machine custom bones? Will washers work?

If you have not previously dropped the triples on the forks, 5mm will not be an issue. I dropped 10mm and THAT took a lot of getting used to. I will be bring it back to 6mm from 10mm since I think 10 is too much.

Ok fair enough, I will do a slight lowering of the front. That, plus the new rear shock, a quick setup at MRP motorsports and getting rid of these junk stock tires should have me in the ballpark. Feels like a sketchy-bus at the moment. Gotta' run those corners not just plod through them :smokin2:

Hmmm I might have to give this a go myself. It would be nice to have the bike turn in a bit quicker.

If you do, try no more than 6mm on the first go and see how it feels. I went from 0 to 10mm and it was VERY noticeable. In the first 5 miles, I debated turning around and undoing at least half of it, but decided to stick it out and see how it would shake out.

Mind you, I'm only comfortable doing this because of the GPR steering stabilizer. Raising the forks, while making corning quicker, subtracts from a stable straight line. This increases the probability of a tank slapper should you land the front tire out of line after a lift. Without the GPR, I'd not feel comfortable over 6mm.

Take it in small doses and don't do what I did. ;)

If you do, try no more than 6mm on the first go and see how it feels. I went from 0 to 10mm and it was VERY noticeable. In the first 5 miles, I debated turning around and undoing at least half of it, but decided to stick it out and see how it would shake out.

Mind you, I'm only comfortable doing this because of the GPR steering stabilizer. Raising the forks, while making corning quicker, subtracts from a stable straight line. This increases the probability of a tank slapper should you land the front tire out of line after a lift. Without the GPR, I'd not feel comfortable over 6mm.

Take it in small doses and don't do what I did. ;)

I had the Scotts on my last bike, after raising the rear it was defianantly needed. I wish they would make an adapter for the gen2 bike it's a shame to get rid of it. I'll probably get a sprint damper for the price, or hopefully find a hyper pro used (not in the budget at the moment).

You could also change the rear tire to a 190 55. This will quicken the steering a bit without lowering your triple clamp and you get some new rubber in the deal.

I dropped my forks 8mm and it works a treat. It stopped tank slappers at 60mph in a straight line where i use to get them when just cruising. Cornering is fantastic and overall handling is just what the bike needed. The front was way to light to start with. I went for a ride and passed me mate on a Triumph spreed tripple and other mate on his Z1000 (2010) it was the best. No steering dampener needed after the drop.

Does anybody know how far does those holes to be apart in dogbone so i can raise rear 30mm?? i can make new one but i need little help so dont have to guess measurements

so if somebody has one and can measure i would appreciative :+1:

Ok fair enough, I will do a slight lowering of the front. That, plus the new rear shock, a quick setup at MRP motorsports and getting rid of these junk stock tires should have me in the ballpark. Feels like a sketchy-bus at the moment. Gotta' run those corners not just plod through them :smokin2:

Getting new tires should have been #1 on the list. Those tires were a Joke.

Back