what are the front 4 pipes made of?

I was changing lanes in a construction area and a piece of plywood or something was in the road and i ran over it, the front tire flipped the wood into one of the front exhaust pipes, im not sure what there called but its broken, and i was wondering what the material is? what happens if you leave it broken? it just sounds weird, thanks for the help

That would be the header and I would guess that it is steel. Any exhaust leak is going to cause noise (which you already know) and a power loss. That is definitely something to get fixed

Yes, they are ss and you'd be better off replacing them than repairing them. There are plenty of used ones out there in good condition and at relatively cheap prices. Also if you have some sort of dent on it from the impact it could affect flow/performance.

Yes, they are ss and you'd be better off replacing them than repairing them. There are plenty of used ones out there in good condition and at relatively cheap prices. Also if you have some sort of dent on it from the impact it could affect flow/performance.

Agreed many of us have swapped out for after market full exhaust and have brand new stock headers lying around our garages. Check ebay or post up a WTB ad here or on FZ1OA

Good luck!

well im wanting a new exhaust anyway, what would you all recommend? how much torque or hp would a full system add as opposed to stock headers and a slip on? what after market headers would you recommend? im not sure if this topic should get moved or not i hope its okay

well im wanting a new exhaust anyway, what would you all recommend? how much torque or hp would a full system add as opposed to stock headers and a slip on? what after market headers would you recommend? im not sure if this topic should get moved or not i hope its okay

There aren't too many choices out there for full exhausts for our bikes (well not readily affordable ones anyway). The biggest difference that you'll note with the full exhaust over the stock header/slip-on is better mid-range and possibly a little on the top end as well. Will also save a considerable amount of weight over the stock exhaust.

IMHO the best bang for the buck is the full Yoshimura TRC or R-77 exhaust. Take a look on eBay and you'll find some great prices. I guess your other decision is whether you want a ss, ss/carbon or full carbon muffler.

Last edited:
Don't forget to check state and local laws regarding emissions and after market exhaust systems before you buy. If you have no emissions inspections and there's no noise ordinance, well, the sky's the limit! :D

It is rideable, but it'll be ungodly loud. Just youtube open header exhausts. Think top fuel dragster or Mad Max Zoomies.

Then there's the argument saying "Oh no! Without backpressure you'll burn up the exhaust valves!!!" but I'm a student of the science of fluid dynamics saying lost power from an open exhaust is a result of poor pulse scavenging and reversion waves not being optimize, not just a lack of back pressure. Though, I'm not sure how comfortable I'd be with just one cylinder running radically different flow characteristics than the other three. Ride it if you have to but I'd recommend not doing it simply because I don't know if it will ruin anything.

Back