What did you do to your FZ today?

Re: Fz1 today . . .

Unpacked my new ZG Sport touring windscreen in the VERY very dark smoke. I don't remember my last one being THAT DARK . . Mmhhhh. Whew boy. . . ! Is it ever dark. Next, I masked off the lower inside area for a couple of coats of glossy black paint to block the view of the speedo cables and wires. After it dries overnight, she'll be ready to install.

Also today, I ordered a set of T-Rex Racing black-frame sliders. More for the looks of them and, for tip over protection when parked or stopped. I will be mounting them to the "frame" and not to the engine mounts (as is required for maximum protection). I just can't bring myself to "cut the hole" in the full lower fairing. Actually, I ordered 2-sets of sliders. The second set (longer pucks w/off set), will mount up in the now vacant passenger footrest bracket holes. I have already removed the rear pegs. My wife doesn't ride anymore and she no longer let's me take the young girls around the block. NO riders , , . . . dang.

It's getting late and I am watching it RAIN now. Looking out the shop door at the cool, gray sky and the now steady drizzle/rain, maybe I'll just start removing the lower fairing in preparation of changing the oil. :cheers:

Changed the oil then went for a short ride to look at houses.

Third video is on the road acceleration from stop up to about 8500 rpm. That's still in the editing room though, will post later if asked.

What kind of nonsense is this Tamer!!?? "Will post later if asked" There isn't any "asking" here my dear! You have an acceleration video, then you post it girl!!! I need a certain amount of daily videos to keep me sane while not having a bike!!:D

How you crazies doing? I'm still without bike and trying to fix the damage done by divorce and bankruptcy. I will get back on two wheels again. :cowboy:

How you crazies doing? I'm still without bike and trying to fix the damage done by divorce and bankruptcy. I will get back on two wheels again. :cowboy:

Hey Man, been there and done that. It will come around for you again trust me. My credit score sank to 530 after my divorce, bankrupcy, etc. It's over 700 now. Just keep doing the right thing financially and it will work out. It does take a long tome though so be patient.

Last edited:
RE: FZ1 Today

Removed the leftside lower fairing, and watched it pour down rain outside. Drained engine oil and removed the filter. Still raining out there. After draining all night, I have a fresh load of Mobil-1 10W-40 Racing-T ( my favorite full synthetic, motorcycle oil) waiting, and ready for the install tomorrow. Oh , , yeah , , I like those K&N 303 filter(s) with the 17mm nut on the end. Very easy to put on and take off. Sweet , , ,

Next, I plan to remove the sprocket cover and change out the 16T for a OEM 15T. As soon as I find one somewhere that is . . . . . . . . . . .

:icon_beer:

Removed the leftside lower fairing, and watched it pour down rain outside. Drained engine oil and removed the filter. Still raining out there. After draining all night, I have a fresh load of Mobil-1 10W-40 Racing-T ( my favorite full synthetic, motorcycle oil) waiting, and ready for the install tomorrow. Oh , , yeah , , I like those K&N 303 filter(s) with the 17mm nut on the end. Very easy to put on and take off. Sweet , , ,

Next, I plan to remove the sprocket cover and change out the 16T for a OEM 15T. As soon as I find one somewhere that is . . . . . . . . . . .

:icon_beer:

Gary, you must remember that once you have that 15T installed, you have to get some video of that front wheel lofting skyward!!! This is all I ask of you. I don't have any video of that bike other than onboard so I'd love to see it in action.

Not to the bike but I moved a little bit closer completing the front end conversion. I completed step two: I dropped the forks and lower triples off at OverTWO Customs for service and swapping. (Step one is getting all the parts. I nearly done with that, just need the steering bearings, upper triple, and extensions.)

I have an r1 upper in my watch list on eBay but I might not need to buy it because they said they may have one and if not the guy doing the triple stem swap may have one. Still no word on the custom extensions but I'm going ahead anyway. I can put them on whenever they arrive!

Step three is taking Baby to the shop for the bearing install, front end swap, and valve check (since it's time).

Well hopefully you'll bounce back soon and build another "killer" Gen II like the one you had before ;)

That is the plan!!! :icon_beer:

Hey Man, been there and done that. It will come around for you again trust me. My credit score sank to 530 after my divorce, bankrupcy, etc. It's over 700 now. Just keep doing the right thing financially and it will work out. It does take a long tome though so be patient.

Thanks. Looking forward to better days for sure. :cheers:

You bet Billy !! I am looking online for a 15T now. I know there is an OEM one available but I can't remember if it fits the R-6, or what. I think the FZ6 crankshaft is smaller and that one won't work for me.

I am curious too if I will have to remove a link from the chain. I might get lucky and just get by. At least for awhile . . . ..

I have some pics I took today but left my camera card on the work bench when I left for home (in the rain, heh,heh). I'll get some pics posted up tomorrow as it's still raining here. A cold, nasty rain. Tomorrow, more rain. . . .:icon_beer:yuk

You bet Billy !! I am looking online for a 15T now. I know there is an OEM one available but I can't remember if it fits the R-6, or what. I think the FZ6 crankshaft is smaller and that one won't work for me.

I am curious too if I will have to remove a link from the chain. I might get lucky and just get by. At least for awhile . . . ..

I have some pics I took today but left my camera card on the work bench when I left for home (in the rain, heh,heh). I'll get some pics posted up tomorrow as it's still raining here. A cold, nasty rain. Tomorrow, more rain. . . .:icon_beer:yuk

I believe that you will be okay with the stock chain. Remember that I was +1 in the rear anyway which brought the rear wheel forward all the way. So now you should be right at "stock" placement with your rear. Your good to go!

This week I took the chance and ordered an HID projector retrofit kit for my naked SV's headlight. This is a smaller, low end HID kit with a projector that actually fits inside the housing without modification (unlike some of the better quality ones which are way too big and need cutting and major modification). It was $125 shipped and basically plug and play, requiring only minor modification to the existing housing.

It's an improvement over the stock unit and definitely better than just throwing in an HID bulb to the existing reflector which is quite a shitty solution.

Time will tell how reliable this unit will be.

Last edited:

That's what I am hoping for. Just my looking at it, it appears to be just as you suggest. The axle is forward, and with the chain having a only a few miles on it, shouldn't stretch a whole lot more too soon.

BTW, is the Speedohealer the way to go ? :confused0024:I see there are a couple of different ones out there now. Are they good ? I need to get one sometime this winter -- Thanks !!

That's what I am hoping for. Just my looking at it, it appears to be just as you suggest. The axle is forward, and with the chain having a only a few miles on it, shouldn't stretch a whole lot more too soon.

BTW, is the Speedohealer the way to go ? :confused0024:I see there are a couple of different ones out there now. Are they good ? I need to get one sometime this winter -- Thanks !!

Speedo Healer would be great. I didn't use it after taking the bike out with the GPS mounted and taking notes as to what was what. I knew that when I was at 60mph, I was okay and not speeding so I never got a healer. You can ask either Tony or Eric as to which ones they run.

Dented tank fixed.

I had a knee dent in the right side of my tank. My good friend Big Ian at my favourite Yamaha Shop here in Auckland suggested I use my house plug plunger on it and yes it popped out with nothing left there. That made my day today.

I run 15/47 with stock chain.

Also, I run a speedohealer with a 13.3% adjustment for my particular setup. Did not know if other options for the gen 1 for I found a sweet deal for a used one and never looked back.

Last edited:
I had a knee dent in the right side of my tank. My good friend Big Ian at my favourite Yamaha Shop here in Auckland suggested I use my house plug plunger on it and yes it popped out with nothing left there. That made my day today.

Too bad you didn't make a video of that repair. The KLR riders around the world would have adored you. :justkidding: Nothing like a no cost home repair that actually works. :tup:

Back