What did you do to your FZ today?

Finished my break in - had changed the oil to rotella 15w-40 with a fram filter at 250ish miles to keep some thick oil I'm after the initial run in, at 650ish miles now and just put on a Mobil m-108 filter with Mobil racing 4t 10w-40 oil

Also checked the chain tension and its within normal limits so no adjustment.

Itching to put my fender elim and led signals on but I'm gonna wait for my customled relay and my big mod weekend coz Ill need to get under the rear fairing.

Prolly gonna go out for a ride now :)

just wanted to update you guys - i know oil has been debated over and over again, and i used rotella in my fz6r and for my first oil change in the fz1 but.....

the bike definitely runs smoother on the mobil - i guess the comparison is mute because they are different viscosities, but i gotta say that as soon as i got on the road with the mobil the bike undoubtedly felt smoother

my .02

I installed a R1 shift arm and some Proton flushmounts. Now I just need to get some LED rear turn signals and I still need to install my stainless hardware kit.

Installed my Motodynamics Integrated Tail light and my Graves Fender Eliminator.

Holy crap, its been awhile since I've worked on a bike, but it seems like they packed the crap out of that tail with bolts, wires, subframe, clips, tools. What a pain. To have to pretty much take the tail off, the under tray, and the seat bracket just to get to connectors.....what a pain in the ass. Then of course you have to put it back together in the right order......and of course I missed a couple bolts on the seat bracket that I now can't get to...oh well.

Everything works at least! I'll clean up wire placement and replacing the bolts later. Now I have to do the front Protons.

I bought and installed the stock screws for the throttle. Last year I switched out the PO aftermarket bars with the stock handlebars. I didn't get the throttle screws tightened enough and ended up loosing a stock screw. I thought I was smart and went to a hardware store and found the right screws and replaced them.

View attachment 14240
View attachment 14241

They didn't hold up well. I ordered the stock screws for $1 each and wont get the rust now.

View attachment 14242
View attachment 14243

I still need to clean up around the screws, but I was anxious to get those trashy, rusty POS out of there. Don't get hardware store screws!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If you are worried about rust you may want to try stainless bolts.
You can order stainless SHCS from fastenal in almost any size you need.
I believe a 5x.8x18 mm is 21 cents a piece plus shipping.
That is the route I went when I put on new bars and risers.

Last edited:
Yesterday I got in about 350 miles just riding around locally. There are NO curvy roads around me, so it was mostly highway miles between small towns. I did get to do the greasy spoon for lunch and stopped for a few pics by a damned lake.

It was a beautiful, sunny day starting at about 50 and climbing to 70 around noon or 1 pm.

View attachment 14323
View attachment 14324
View attachment 14325
View attachment 14326
View attachment 14327
Excuse my finger under the rear tire. : oops:
View attachment 14328

Here are a few more pics. Tapatalk 2 only supported 6 pic at a time.

View attachment 14329
View attachment 14330
View attachment 14332
View attachment 14331

It was a fun day. I stopped by a friends house to see his HD Electra 'something or other' Glide. I didn't get a picture of it, but it was in a denim blue. He had me sit on it, but it just didn't feel right at all. His wife pushed him to get the HD and she gets towed around on the back. It didn't have a top case, but it had a backrest.

My wife had to work, but I was able to ride to work with her and then meet back up for the ride home. She was on her 2009 Ninja 250r.

Today I gave my FZ1N a minor service.

I changed the oil and filter, lubed the pegs, foot controls and cables, lubed the levers, lubed and adjusted the chain, cleaned and re-oiled my DNA air filter and I also fit a set of Carbone Lorraine SBK5 pads (for my 08 R1 calipers).

The Carbone Lorraine SBK5 pads are excellent with nice initial bite and plenty of braking power as compared to the stock 08 R1 pads.

I'll give the bike a good run tomorrow, the weather this ANZAC weekend is superb here in Sydney.

I will post what I haven't done. I haven't done my 12,000 mile service. I have oil, filter, plugs, chain needs lubing and about 1500 miles of bug guts to get off.

Someone help me find the motivation. :rtfm:

I will post what I haven't done. I haven't done my 12,000 mile service. I have oil, filter, plugs, chain needs lubing and about 1500 miles of bug guts to get off.

Someone help me find the motivation. :rtfm:
My motivation was, Do I really want to pay someone else Not to do the service or do it myself and know it has been done.

Back