What did you do to your FZ today?

Got to ride into work again! It was a bit on the hot side, but I'd rather be hot on the bike than in a cage with A/C (most of the time, anyway). It looks like a perfect ride home in the morning.

I really need to clean my chain. I'll do that this weekend.

Starting small...working my way up....ordered the blue tire valves with yamaha emblems, blue and black tank protector with yamaha emblem on it...blue oil cap, blue screws for wind shield that will be pattern painted with plasti dip to look like carbon fiber to match my carbon fiber helmet. Waiting on the helmet so I can try and match the carbon pattern to some carbon patterned mirrors. Ordered HID blue headlight bulbs, and blue turn signal bulbs all around, blue clutch and brake lever. Need help on purchasing sliders however....I can see where to put the two on the front....but what about the swing arm or on the upper part of the motor? Are either of those possible?

Found a blue sprocket and a blue chain too! being that is messing with the "meat" of the bike, I would like feedback on it. Both are for sale on ebay but I am concerned about the quality since they deal with the part of the bike that is under constant stress....

Dry day so took the Fz out for a GPS test. Well I was shocked it was so far off. MPH and Miles ? That drop on the C/tooth made a change I forgot about. So home for re/install of it and back out for testing. Yep, she's on in MPH and off a tad in miles. I can live with it, Ripped it up coming home. I live in Fun Zone :yes:

Whoo hoo! :woot: I was able to ride into work all 3 days/nights this week (I work three 12 hour shifts, 7pm to 7am). I messed with the suspension yesterday and again this morning when I got home. All I had ever done with suspension was raise the rear preload to max to accomadate my gerth. I had noticed a little 'post bump bounce' from the rear (I'm sure there's a term I should use there :dontknow:), so I upped the rear rebound dampening 2 clicks, much better. I hadn't touched the fork for over 2 years, somewhat out of fear, I guess. Well, I'm over that. I upped the compression dampening 6 clicks due to excessive dive and the rebound 4 clicks. I didn't have a wrench to adjust the preload at work, so I did that when I got home. The compression was too rough, so I upped the fork preload to 1 ring showing (up from 2 rings) and backed off the compression 2 clicks and the rebound 1 click. It was much better on the ride into work today. I'm thinking I may go up a tad more on front preload and a click or 2 less on compression, for ride comfort. It's not so squishy in the corners now, and I didn't even realize it before. I know I need a rear shock from Traxxion and at least fork springs for my weight, but I'm making the best of the stock suspension for now.

I'll report more in the suspension thread. I'd love for more people to chime in over there. I'd like to compare notes on suspension. I need to learn more about it.

I bought new pants and a helmet on the way home from the rally and am just now getting a chance to try them out on the bike. Sedici pants on closeout and another Bilt (Viper this time) helmet. Then I Rode it a little :flash: to get used to the new stuff.
GEDC0148.JPG

Always nice to get a new helmet and I still need to find some riding pants. I'd have a whole wall of helmets if I could afford them. I use any excuse I. An to go for a ride! I hope the new gear works well and never gets tested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

It wasn't today, but last Monday, Been too busy with work to post up the pics.

I had the bike dynotuned at Nevill Lush Racing and PCV installed. It made a huge difference, so much smoother throttle transition and so much more up top... BIG SMILE on the ride home through the twisties.

Don't get hung up on the dyno numbers, just compare the top to the bottom and see how much the shape of the curve has improved. I'm not getting into a dyno number debate as all dynos are different.

On Friday I finally adjusted my stock suspension (only took me 3 years...) and I cannot believe I didn't do this sooner, made a huge difference. Then took the bike for a nice 300 mile ride!

My stock front tire was absolute toast at 8,315 miles and unfit for duty, plus it was over five years old and ready to be replaced. Dropped down to my local dealer and I quoted him prices I could get on Revzilla or Bike Bandit for Road Smart II tires, he worked with me on a complete package (F+R) and I got the tires for a total of $20 more than the online price which was very fair, and he only charged me for the rear installation and waived the front installation. So my out the door price was $456 for both tires, very satisfied with that price. And I had them install my 90 deg side mounted valves so I'm good to go for the summer.

My stock front tire was absolute toast at 8,315 miles and unfit for duty, plus it was over five years old and ready to be replaced. Dropped down to my local dealer and I quoted him prices I could get on Revzilla or Bike Bandit for Road Smart II tires, he worked with me on a complete package (F+R) and I got the tires for a total of $20 more than the online price which was very fair, and he only charged me for the rear installation and waived the front installation. So my out the door price was $456 for both tires, very satisfied with that price. And I had them install my 90 deg side mounted valves so I'm good to go for the summer.

Seems a bit too high ... Try ridersdiscount next time for tires. They hooked me up with Q2s in 55 rear for $200 shipped.

Seems a bit too high ... Try ridersdiscount next time for tires. They hooked me up with Q2s in 55 rear for $200 shipped.

I agree, damn I don't think I've ever paid that much for tires.

Today I decided to to some "free" mods to the FZ. Started out with Cutting the intake out of the airbox so it can breath. Then I wasn't happy with the stock sound, so I decided to cut the baffle out of the rear. Night and day difference in throttle response and possibly even some power increases, with a tone that sounds more like an aftermarket pipe. Was unsure if the bike would run right without a FI manager, but it didn't seem to even hiccup.

Ridersdiscount seems to be no bargain .... just checked the prices for Dunlop Roadsmart II .... F: $156, R: $214. I paid F: $142, R: $195, so with tax it was a wash. Revzilla and Bike Bandit were both lower than Ridersdiscount. Yes, the Q2 at Ridersdiscount was a tad less than $200, but that isn't the tire I wanted and has no relationship to the Roadsmart II.

I agree, damn I don't think I've ever paid that much for tires.

Well, if you can get a pair of Roadsmart II's for less than $337 let me know where. Not sure what tire you are comparing it to. Buying online is not automatically the cheapest price.

Last edited:
Back