What did you do to your FZ today?

Yes, that would be good. My riding season usually ends with the first snowfall.:sinister:

I did meet up with Vagabond a couple times.

I was able to meet Vagabond very briefly 1 time. Maybe there is a time and place we could all meet for a jaunt. We will have to work out details on the local thread. I've never been around more than 2 (mine included) FZ1's at a time.

I was able to meet Vagabond very briefly 1 time. Maybe there is a time and place we could all meet for a jaunt. We will have to work out details on the local thread. I've never been around more than 2 (mine included) FZ1's at a time.

There also someone in Springfield on the other board, Rx_Redline, who would like to meet us too.

Also barryc in North Aurora but he said he can only ride for 20 minutes at a time.

:cheers:

Recieved the GIVI V35 side cases and put them on the racks. Did a test ride with a dummy load to work at a new location. These bags are definately nice but pricey. I am just able to fit my helmets in them (Nolan N-104 and HJC IS-MAX) one per side. My gear for work computer backpack and peripherals all fit in (without the helmet of course).

Only negative is that the bags mounted are as wide as the mirrors but they do make my butt look smaller!:jaw drop:

Congrats on the V35's.

I've used them on my last two FZ's (FZ1, and FZ6) and just got the PLXR racks for my current FZ1. I also have a V46 trunk and can't imagine having a bike without lockable hard cases anymore. You'll get used to the width and become spoiled buy being able to lock things up on your bike.

Enjoy,

Jon...

Congrats on the V35's.

I've used them on my last two FZ's (FZ1, and FZ6) and just got the PLXR racks for my current FZ1. I also have a V46 trunk and can't imagine having a bike without lockable hard cases anymore. You'll get used to the width and become spoiled buy being able to lock things up on your bike.

Enjoy,

Jon...

Thanks. This isn't my first lockable hard case setup and I got used to it in about 5 or 10 minutes. (Except my right foot still doesn't know they're there and clips it from time to time.)

Any tips on stowing a helmet in there? I get mine to fit but it seems like it's very tight.

I also ordered the inner bags to facilitate packing and unpacking them without removing the cases.

BTW: The new PLXR rack works with a fender eliminator since it doesn't attach to the back of the fender.

Last edited:
I purchased a 'gently used' (crashed) 2003 FZ1 on July 8th. I took it (via trailer) to a friends house where I've been working on it whenever I had the time. Initially it had broken motor mounts, leaking fork seals, torn seat, broken rear tail piece, under fender, etc... The list is long. I upgraded it from the Stage I (holeshot) that it already had to stage II w/pods, also from Holeshot performance. I added a few rizoma goodies that I picked up for a good price and spent the rest of the time just repairing everything else. It's basically done now with exception of some fine tuning of the carbs. A bit finicky w/the pods on there. I have an R6 shock kit but I haven't installed it yet. I wanted to get a feel for how it is first, before the 'upgrade'. Here are a few pictures. If you'd like to see the whole project there is an album link below.

DSC_0602.JPG

DSC_0604.JPG

DSC_0605.JPG

Album

Thanks. This isn't my first lockable hard case setup and I got used to it in about 5 or 10 minutes. (Except my right foot still doesn't know they're there and clips it from time to time.)

Any tips on stowing a helmet in there? I get mine to fit but it seems like it's very tight.

I also ordered the inner bags to facilitate packing and unpacking them without removing the cases.

BTW: The new PLXR rack works with a fender eliminator since it doesn't attach to the back of the fender.

Regarding the helmet fit, it seems to be hit and miss. Some folks don't have any issues and others, like myself with a size med. Shoei Multitec, can't get it to fit. So I put it in the top case.

The inner bags are helpful. Especially with side opening cases.

Jon...

Regarding the helmet fit, it seems to be hit and miss. Some folks don't have any issues and others, like myself with a size med. Shoei Multitec, can't get it to fit. So I put it in the top case.

The inner bags are helpful. Especially with side opening cases.

Jon...

Yeah, I did manage to get my modular helmets in with a bit of jiggling. Both the Nolan and HJC fit.

I was considering a top case but I have an aversion to high mounted mass.

Got the bike over 1000 miles, so break-in is finally done. Also adjusted the idle up to around 1200 rpm warm. It had been idling around 900 rpm.

Not sure I'll go "crazy" now that break-in is finished, but I won't have to be concerned with how I run it either.

In the next week or two, I'm installing a Powerlet for my heated vest and Battery Tender. Will also pull the Exup motor and install the Exup eliminator and aluminum shelf for a future PC-V.

Back