What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

Me and Tony met up on the mountain this morning for the first ride of 2014. We had a blast with both YZF's riding side by side, a sight that not many people see everyday. Very rare indeed.

CAM00484_zps527eb6f7.jpg

Not sure which one I like better, both colors look great.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sure! Why didn't I do that before!?

It's a 2006 Ninja 650R I picked up for $1000. It has about 11,000 miles and a blown bottom end (or so the owner thinks). Like 90% of the bikes out there, it wasn't well-maintained and has damage on one of the fairings so I spent a few weeks haggling him down to $1000. He was asking $1500. It's a complete bike but has come in pieces.

I was originally going to build the bike up and flip it for profit but a friend of mine wanted to do something more noble with it; we're going to fix it up and give it to his wife as a surprise gift!. She has an old beat up Ninja 500R and she's really wanting to upgrade to a GSX-R600. What better stepping stone than the 650R? The 650R is a great bike anyway!

I ordered a used motor, tires, chain, sprockets, brake pads and a few other small bits and will have it all fitted when it comes.

If I was to hazard a guess, the project will cost around $2500 including the bike and the labour to have the parts fitted by my local guy. Up here, those bikes are worth around $4000~ on the used market.

I'll take some photos once she's complete

Looks like a nice project to have. It always inspires me and motivates me to try and do a project like that whenever i see like bare bones bikes... I never get around to doing it all though.

Full service on the ZZR done. All 4 carbs cleaned/synced, oil/filter changed, new K & N air filter, spark plugs, Throttlemeister, PR4's, Zero Gravity screen, TomTom rider gps, and Superbrace fork brace installed. Sw-Motech side carrier brackets are supposed to be delivered Tuesday so I will get those and the toprack plate on this week.

Brackets/Side Cases/Topcase PLate/Topcase assembled. Easily installed and removed in about 2 minutes.

All that remains after removing the cases:

Last edited:
Sense I have had this 700s I wanted to do a top end job on it. Compression is at 130 across, should be 170 + and smokes a bit. Been looking at this kit for months on Ebay, was @ my local bike shop. Well today I was brave and stopped in, rings on order and they gave me a brake to boot. Parts bike engine will be get tore down now to see if the 2nd gear and forks are OK...

700sc001_zps67a6f731.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Can't ride so I'll Wrench

Although still awkward to get around with crutches I couldn't stand it anymore and went out to the Garage to install some new parts. I suspect that these larger off-road pegs will help give me better control in the dirt.

I zip tied the spring to make getting the peg off easier and safer. To compress the spring and tighten the zip tie I just folded up the foot peg as I tightened the tie.

New part vs old (stock).

Comparison on the bike.

The new one installed.

Test ride! I don't need no stinking functional leg!

Back