What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

A few scratches add character. Just be cautious adding "guards" as sometimes they add new snag points when tipping over off-road. Design is everything when it comes to those.

Good call on the guards. I looked at the aftermarket ones and they don't offer much more protection than OEM.

I did find an OEM headlight guard from a guy in the Netherlands.

I'm also adding real bark busters, removing the OEM ones.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Folded and put the trailer away, cleaned the garage floor with degreaser, rearranged a few things, and then took the YZF out to fill the tank and finally test out the Corbin seat. Now I only rode about 4 miles round trip but initial impressions are WOW!, what a huge difference in comfort! Day and night between the Corbin and stock saddle. I can't wait to get her on the road and head for the mountain to really put some miles in this seat. So far, very good investment for sure!!! Thanks to Tony for finding me this one!

IMG_0524_zpse8de0f16.jpg

Went for my second ride in Sam Houston National Forest (SHNF) this morning. We did the Northwest Trailhead balloon loop. The full loop is about 18 miles of deep sand, roots, logs and whoops We took a few shortcuts and ended up with 15.5 miles. Not much in the way of elevation changes but the scenery was still magnificent.

Day use is $5 but you must also have a Off Highway Vehicle (OHV) tag which is only about $20 annually. Pretty cheap entertainment.

This was my first time ever riding in sand. I was worried but really had no difficulty with it. The whoops were exhausting. We had tons of fallen trees we had to hop over. Even when the guys would go around I would go over them anyway for the practice.

I went down twice but no injuries. Once in deep sand in a turn where I gave it to much gas and my rear tire decided to take the lead over the front. ;) The second time was jumping a fallen log. I "lightened up the front" and gave it a little too much gas and I vaulted in the air and dumped it when I landed. That one had me giggling. No injuries at all in either instance.

No problems at all with the bike. I did loose one of my bar end anchors for my brush guards at the very end of the ride but that is an easy replacement.

Now I am completely exhausted and relaxing at home with a glass of wine dreaming of the next off-road adventure.

A few photos below. No video as my camera position ended up being of my front tire. I will try to cut together my two wipe outs though.

Man do I look tired!

Last edited:
Looks like fun Brad. Whoops are an ass-kick huh? Next time ride the trails on the Triumph.

I plan to get out on the trails next weekend with the camera.

Looks like fun Brad. Whoops are an ass-kick huh? Next time ride the trails on the Triumph.

I plan to get out on the trails next weekend with the camera.

I will be in Llano next weekend for a VStrom rally riding the Hill Country. One of my close buddies has a Wee. Anyway they are supposed to have some nice dirt routes. I will be on the Tiger but letting my buddy ride the DRZ out there.

Loaded up for a quick overnight camping trip tomorrow night at Lake Somerville. Still don't have my racks so no saddle bags to try out yet. I need a more compact sleeping bag!

I use a dry bag for my sleeping bag. It's a heavy reinforced bag that I got from the camping section at Walmart. I just roll my sleeping bag real tight and stuff it into the bag. Then I sit on it to compress it down and force all of the air out, before I roll the top of the bag closed. It's been great for monsoon class rains - my sleeping bag has never gotten wet.

Size 11.5 boots for size reference ...

Looks like you can get them in 20, 35, and 40L sizes. I don't know which one I have, sorry.

Ok, now that's weird - So I started looking for your post that I quoted, Brad, and realized that it came from PAGE 51 of the thread, from Sept of last year! I dunno how I managed that but oh well ...

Here is video from our forest tour guide. He was following me at the point my rear washed out. Right around the 4:30 mark I think. Then my down on the log at 7:30 or so.

ODODB SHNF balloon loop w/Hail and Trooper MotoHouston 4/27/14 - YouTube

ODODB = Old Dudes on Dirt Bikes

I think you NEED a set of these. I have them and they are great when you go off road. Just fold one or both down. No fear of breaking anything like brake lever or clutch lever brackets.

Doubletake Folding Mirrors: Doubletake Mirror

Those are brilliant! Simple solution too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Yep, I have crash tested mine so many times, even ripped one off when it snagged my jacket as I flew off the bike. Nothing broke, just re-attached and carried on. You can even choose what size ram arm you want. No more worries about breaking off control mounts.

Bike for Sherry

I always said my wife would have to be the one to pull the trigger on a bike for herself if she ever got another one. Her first bike I just picked and surprised her with it. We ultimately sold it before she had time to practice on it when she lost her job a few years ago.

For the last three months she has been expressing an interest in it regularly. She has also been eyeballing bikes in every shop we go to and sitting on them to see how they feel. She spotted this one in the parking lot of a lacal shop (that I have never been too.) While on our way home from my regular local shop. She asked me to turn around so she could go check it out. She fell in love with it.

It is a 2011 CBR 250 with only 390 miles on it. The thing is in mint show room floor condition. It already has frame sliders too. For the condition it is in I think $3K is a steal. They sell for $4,499 here for new models right now and this is still practically new. I gave them a deposit over the phone today and will pick it up tomorrow.

I always said my wife would have to be the one to pull the trigger on a bike for herself if she ever got another one. Her first bike I just picked and surprised her with it. We ultimately sold it before she had time to practice on it when she lost her job a few years ago.

For the last three months she has been expressing an interest in it regularly. She has also been eyeballing bikes in every shop we go to and sitting on them to see how they feel. She spotted this one in the parking lot of a lacal shop (that I have never been too.) While on our way home from my regular local shop. She asked me to turn around so she could go check it out. She fell in love with it.

It is a 2011 CBR 250 with only 390 miles on it. The thing is in mint show room floor condition. It already has frame sliders too. For the condition it is in I think $3K is a steal. They sell for $4,499 here for new models right now and this is still practically new. I gave them a deposit over the phone today and will pick it up tomorrow.

That's a perfect bike for Sherry! Sweet deal too! Congrats to her Brad.

Awesome, pass on my congratulations to her!!

I have sat on them and the position reminded me of my 86' RZ 350 which was one of the most comfortable bikes I have had.

Seems like I have a lot to post lately. I got an unused second hand triumph top case for $275. It included the mounting bracket and backrest pads. All together new is usually around $600.

It did not include the lock barrel. The lock barrels come with every new tiger whether you get the luggage or not and pre keyed to your ignition keys. I never received those locks when I bought my tiger. I got lucky today at a local triumph shop. They had a set of locks with keys that a customer ordered two years ago and never picked up. I was expecting them to charge $120. They only charged $54.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398809263.439130.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1398809299.788589.jpg

Back