What did you do to your Non-FZ1 motorcycle today.

johnnyontherocks

The Cosmic Avenger
Installed a set of speedy moto clip ons on the ZX6R. They are a little higher and forward. They are very adjustable but the fairing is so low there is only a small amout of room to adjust before rubbing or hitting the fairing. I need to pick up a left grip pics after that.

Mounted the PC3 to the inside of the anti-draft plate on the R6. This allows for access to the PC3 without having to remove the entire seat. Also updated safety wire for on fluid containment points. Finally installed LED tail lights on the trailer.

Can we see some pictures of that project??

Sure! Why didn't I do that before!?

It's a 2006 Ninja 650R I picked up for $1000. It has about 11,000 miles and a blown bottom end (or so the owner thinks). Like 90% of the bikes out there, it wasn't well-maintained and has damage on one of the fairings so I spent a few weeks haggling him down to $1000. He was asking $1500. It's a complete bike but has come in pieces.

I was originally going to build the bike up and flip it for profit but a friend of mine wanted to do something more noble with it; we're going to fix it up and give it to his wife as a surprise gift!. She has an old beat up Ninja 500R and she's really wanting to upgrade to a GSX-R600. What better stepping stone than the 650R? The 650R is a great bike anyway!

I ordered a used motor, tires, chain, sprockets, brake pads and a few other small bits and will have it all fitted when it comes.

If I was to hazard a guess, the project will cost around $2500 including the bike and the labour to have the parts fitted by my local guy. Up here, those bikes are worth around $4000~ on the used market.

I'll take some photos once she's complete

Last edited:
Put new grips on the zx6R. As long as Saturday goes well I will be ordering fiberglass and a full exhaust for it. I was hoping to run the stock exhaust but the body work doesnt work with the catalytic. Some new Q2's will be istalled in the very near future. I think I'll be headed to NC on 3/17&3/18 for the first trackdays of the season.

Double Take mirrors, etc.

Took pictures of my Double Take Mirrors that I installed a few days ago. Installed my Garmin Rugged Mount for my new Garmin Montana 600.

The Doubletake Mirror mirror are great for dual sport bikes so that when you go down you don't break off your mirrors, especially if they mount on clutch or switch control blocks. They claim to have a lifetime warranty.

They mount using tried and true RAM Mount arms. Not pretty but definately functional.

IMG_1089.jpg

Folded out same view as stock.

IMG_1096.jpg

Folded down out of the way.
IMG_1097.jpg

I'm in the process of changing the handlebars on my Raider. All internal wiring with the connections requiring removing the fuel tank. Waiting on longer hydraulic lines and throttle cables. I got a set of bars from a 650 Custom that my buddy machined and then I had powder coated. I'll be happy when I'm done.

Looks great Dustin, how does she ride?

Very well actually. I have ridden a bunch of different 650Rs (my friend had one and my ex had one as well) and this one is as nice or nicer than the lot. I have only ridden it up and down my street so far as we just finished it up late last night but it's promising

I need to give it a few days of shakedown riding before we put a bow on it and surprise her.

I've been posting updates on Facebook and now have it listed 'for sale' there as well so she's none the wiser. :)

Garage Sunday

I spent the majority of my day in the Garage while the snow came down outside. Fairly cold at -13 for a high. I managed to blow the breaker once with one too many heaters warming up the workshop. After an hour or so it started to get comfortable.

I re-routed the wiring harness for the GPS after tearing the bike down to the frame. Cleaned and insulated the engine side of the dual tanks on the 990 Adventure. That reflective insulation stick on stuff is expensive, and a pain in the ass. That part took hours with all the complex shapes and hollows on the tanks inner surface. It should help stop the heat transfer from the oil sump and radiator, as well as the engine.

Assembled and wired in the new auxiliary rad fan, to help keep the big beast cool in the heat of Moab while picking my way through narrow rocky trails. Cleaned up a few wiring nightmares left from the mechanic who did the last major service. Then started to reassemble the machine.

Installed the Ram mount for the Go-Pro on the forward part of the crash bar. I used a length of fuel line over the U-bolt and a small square of rubber under the ram bracket to keep from scratching the crash bar and to add some better grip. Worked like a charm!

This morning I bead blasted my new skid plate, since It was shipped as raw aluminum when I ordered a black powdercoated one (at least I was charged for the raw one). I'll be walking around the corner to the powdercoater in about an hour when he opens. With any luck I'll be able to install it tonight.

UPdate: Skid plate back 60 minutes after I dropped it off. I caught them just about to do a run of black, and it looks great! Something to do tonight with a nice warm car to warm the shop up.

My fingers are sore today from all the wrenching, but it feels good to get it all done. The best part was I didn't see one second of the Oscars!! :cheers:

Pictures to follow, just too late last night to process them.

IMG_1103.jpg

IMG_1108.jpg

IMG_1115.jpg

IMG_1110.jpg

IMG_1122.jpg

IMG_1106.jpg

Last edited:
Back