what is an "adventure bike"

snofrog

I see new bikes called this all the time . these bikes look like ours or any other out there . so what makes an adventure bike different than any other ?

The Ducati MultiStrada, The BMW R1200GS, The Triumph Tiger, and the new Yamaha Super Tenere are examples. Maybe the Suzuki VStrom. Supposedly they can do some off road biking as well. The problem I have with all of these is that they're relatively heavy and I believe they're easier to drop off road and of course tough to pick up once they drop. If I was going to do significant off pavement riding, along with on pavement I personally would get something like the Kawasai KLR 650. For a brief period I had a Kawi KLX250SF and it was super on dirt roads, easy to maneuver, get a foot down to correct things after a bump or divet, etc. I think Lee (OldSchool) has the KLR so he can speak to that. The so called "adventure bikes" you speak of don't hit any of my personal requisites for a bike. I'm 99% on road and bikes like ours were made for on road and likely much smoother than the adventure bikes. I also rode a Yamaha XT 250 with knobby tires for about a week (1000 miles): Very competent off road but buzzy and less sure footed on road. Typically anything that has multiple purposes is not great at any one of them, but hopefully good at most of them. Hope I didn't offend anyone's ride. It's just my own opinion you know.

1469252862_7c4343f5f7_z.jpg

Norm has it right. They are dual-purpose bikes but unlike enduro bikes, they are 75% for road use. The gold standard for an adventure bike is BMW's R1200GS Adventure.

250px-1200gsfr.jpg

Although I see the appeal for the adventure bike-long treks in mixed terrain-they are in fact a compromise road and compromise off-road machine.

I'd rather own a dedicated road bike, and like Lee, own something like Kawasaki's KLR for off road duties.

Adventure / Dualsport

I see new bikes called this all the time . these bikes look like ours or any other out there . so what makes an adventure bike different than any other ?

The Ducati MultiStrada, The BMW R1200GS, The Triumph Tiger, and the new Yamaha Super Tenere are examples. Maybe the Suzuki VStrom. Supposedly they can do some off road biking as well. The problem I have with all of these is that they're relatively heavy and I believe they're easier to drop off road and of course tough to pick up once they drop. If I was going to do significant off pavement riding, along with on pavement I personally would get something like the Kawasai KLR 650. For a brief period I had a Kawi KLX250SF and it was super on dirt roads, easy to maneuver, get a foot down to correct things after a bump or divet, etc. I think Lee (OldSchool) has the KLR so he can speak to that. The so called "adventure bikes" you speak of don't hit any of my personal requisites for a bike. I'm 99% on road and bikes like ours were made for on road and likely much smoother than the adventure bikes. I also rode a Yamaha XT 250 with knobby tires for about a week (1000 miles): Very competent off road but buzzy and less sure footed on road. Typically anything that has multiple purposes is not great at any one of them, but hopefully good at most of them. Hope I didn't offend anyone's ride. It's just my own opinion you know.

Basically an Adventure Bike is a Big Dualsport that has the frame / subframe to handle the weight of a lot of gear required for prolonged on and off road trips. The suspension and rest of the bike are designed to be able to handle rough terrain and the bikes designed for abuse rather than being pretty or aerodynamic. The "Adventure" lable covers a wide spectrum of bikes from more road adventure , think BMW GS 1200,to more dirt adventure think KTM 990. They all give up some off road ability because of their weight, again some less than others. It still depends on the rider as to how far you can push a +500 lb. bike on single track trails. Fully loaded a big wide bike can become a serious liability on some trails. Most Adventure bikes have spoke wheels that can be repaired in the field and tube tires so that they can still run with a damaged rim.

My KLR 650 was very easy to get along with being carburated , but it's suspension was a weak point, and it was a bit underpowered on the highway. The KTM 990 on the other hand has top of the line everything including suspension and brakes. It give up nothing on the road, just ask the BMW sport bikes that I smoked in the twisties, and the fact that even with full knobby tires I could still drag one of my saddlebags in a corner. It truly is the best of both worlds. I will admit the fueling needs a little work so it isn't so wild on the lower half of the throttle but that will come.

100mileatdaysend.jpg

They come in all shapes and sizes.

July2ndbagless.jpg

My favorite.

bigsplash.jpg

They are an Adventure.

A slow bike with a mushy suspension???

I've never understood the appeal of them, they do most things so-so. If I want to ride off road give me a big 'ole XR650. Fro the street, well you all know what I like there.

A slow bike with a mushy suspension???

I've never understood the appeal of them, they do most things so-so. If I want to ride off road give me a big 'ole XR650. Fro the street, well you all know what I like there.

Slow bike? My KTM will top out over 210 kph. and packs 108 bhp. The inverted forks and remote preload WP suspention is all fully adjustable and as good as Ohlins. Maybe some of the Adventure bikes are slow but not the KTM, I can assure you. I am still very much a need for speed guy and the 990 does not disappoint. I can wheelie it at will, but the FZ will still beat it any day in a strait line or on a track, just not by as much as you might think. The big difference is that I will, without qualm take the KTM to places that I would never consider taking the FZ or any other street machine.

I went out for lunch with another Forum member in Calgary the other day to compare notes on our FZ's. I rode both the FZ (my own) and the KTM the same day. It highlighted the FZ's silky smooth engine and rediculously good power delivery. The bars felt so narrow after the wide, high dirt bike bars on the 990. They are both fantastic machines, just very different beasts. If I had smooth tires on the KTM, well it could get wild on the pavement, so just as well I don't. I did wheelie (unintentionally) through an intersection while I was on vacation, trying to get around and past a tourist stopped at a green light, (lost I guess).

I do see the attraction. Like many it would be an additional bike. I have ZERO dirt experience so I would need to start with something like the Kawasaki Lee did. A little less expensive and won't make me cry if I drop it. :) I think it would be a blast to get off the beaten path.

I do see the attraction. Like many it would be an additional bike. I have ZERO dirt experience so I would need to start with something like the Kawasaki Lee did. A little less expensive and won't make me cry if I drop it. :) I think it would be a blast to get off the beaten path.

A popular bike as a second, is the Suzuki DR 400 and DR 650. They are much lighter than the KLR and therefore more fun in the dirt and trails. The only draw back is limited fuel capacity, but a Jerry can can solve that. The best part is they are a simple, cheap machine (especially used). I may even get one down the road a few years..... I'll need a bigger garage.

Just a word of warning: once you see the fun that dirt riding can be you may be hooked for life (or as long as your body can handle it).

most of these bikes came about from the famed Paris to Dakar Rally most are of the street and trail version that have been converted with larger and secondary fuel tanks to go the long distances, larger and additional lighting, larger windscreens and additional suspenision to haul back up supplies and go over the terrian. I believe as time went on they began to market these bikes more for street use one of the first ones that I can remember other than the older BMW's were the mid 80's Honda Translips

tumblr_lf4maueq3Z1qd0khbo1_500.jpg

Lee I didn't realize you traded the KLR for the KTM. I've heard nothing but great things about the KTM's. You probably have seen that movie "Long Way Round" where the 2 actors rode their GS1200's through every God forsaken place in the world. They originally wanted to do the trip with KTM's but KTM refused to sponsor them and BMW paid for their bikes so they went with BMW. Watching that DVD I personally feel they would have been much better off with the KTM's.

Last edited:
You probably have seen that movie "Long Way Round" where the 2 actors rode their GS1200's through every God forsaken place in the world. They originally wanted to do the trip with KTM's but KTM refused to sponsor them and BMW paid for their bikes so they went with BMW. Watching that DVD I personally feel they would have been much better off with the KTM's.

I own the Box Set with Long Way Round, Long Way Down and the Race to Katar! Watched them all 10 times.

Friend of mine has a SV1000 and a VFR, he takes more trips on the SV. Says its better on the long haul, more comfortable seat and wind protection. He rides the gravel and dirt roads in the Wayne National Forest about a hundred miles from here, tells me its a blast. We deer hunt there and their are hundreds of miles of roads that hardly see traffic. I've been thinking about adding an adventure bike to the stable for some time. Now just have to get the wife on board with that plan.

Back