What speedometer correction device do you use and why?

What speedometer correction device do you use and why?

• Healtech - Speedohealer

Votes: 11 39.3%
  • SpeedoDRD

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • other - I'm a electronic engineer and I made my own

Votes: 1 3.6%
  • Stock - this is heresy, the Yamaha factory would never have such a margin of error

Votes: 9 32.1%

• Total voters
So, on my improve fuel mpg thread I think Cobalt brought up the fact that there is often a discrepancy in actual speed and what the speedometer reads. I used my Contour +2 with GPS function and rode to work with it on. Sure enough it seemed close to a 5-10% discrepancy.

video proof for your enjoyment: http://contour.com/stories/file0009--974

So, what speedometer correction device do you use and why?

Last edited:
Well the speed is about 5-6% off depends on the speed you drive. This sligh discrepancy does not affect you since the speed displayed is always higher compared to the real speed.

As Dustin said you mess up your ODO when you correct the speed. I personally do not have a problem, the exact speed is anyway unimportant, and if you need it you can correct in your head very easily.

Better to have an accurate odometer, imo. I can mentally adjust my speedometer speed. I am of the view the less the stock electrics are fiddled with, the better. Call me old fashioned.

You're aware that adjusting your speedometer to read correctly will cause your odometer to read incorrectly, right?

No, I was not aware. So what's the point of those things if they don't fix the issue without creating more problems?

Honestly after checking this out with the GPS I just started subtracting 5 from whatever it says. The paranoid part of myself that thinks cops are always trying to get me (JK, guys) goes a little crazy with the higher speeds.

If you change sprockets, both your speedo and odo will be off. You can test and calculate the error rate for either and correct for either. In the end, adjusting for one will make the other one close.

No, I was not aware. So what's the point of those things if they don't fix the issue without creating more problems?

Well, changing things like sprockets and tire sizes will alter the speedo/odo reading. A Speedohealer allows you to correct that, hopefully back to the factory ratio. Keep in mind that the factory creates a deviation between speed and mileage on purpose and I think it's better to have your speed read a bit higher anyway. At least the tickets will be smaller that way ;)

I figure as long as a mile on your bike is a mile in real life, that's all that matters. A deviation in what your speedometer says can be corrected in your head. I hope :)

On my 2008 FZ1, the speedometer reads about 5.7% higher than what my GPS reads. I trust the GPS to be quite accurate. At the same time my odometer is about 1.5% higher than actual. I have calculated this by using the Interstate Highway mile markers, and run for up to 50 miles.

The ratios and calibration between the odometer and speedometer are built into the unit and are quite constant. So just for round numbers, assume your speedometer was 6% too fast, and your odometer was 1% fast. If you add some device to bring the speedometer to be exactly correct, (6% slower), then the odometer will be adjusted downward by 6% also, and since it was 1% fast before, it will now register 5% slow.

One more concept, is rear tire size. A 190/55/17 is right at 3% larger in circumference than a 190/50/17. I am not proposing to do this, but if the 55 series tires were used in place of the 50 series, then the speedometer and odometer would be slowed down by 3%.

Also in gearing, if a 16 tooth front sprocket is used in place if a 17 tooth, then the speedometer and odometer will read 6.25% (17/16) faster than what they were before the change. Gearing changes will change things exactly as the ratio of the new and the old number of teeth. Just have to be sure your ratios are not backwards.

Last edited:
You're aware that adjusting your speedometer to read correctly will cause your odometer to read incorrectly, right?

I emailed Brooks at 12O'Clock Labs and here is what he had to offer for his SpeedoDRD product:

Brooks said:
Odometer vs Speedometer Correction...
SpeedoDRD does allow for Speedometer and/or Odometer correction, although sometimes getting them both 100% correct continuously is not possible, this is because some vehicles have an odometer error rate which is not equal to the speedometer error rate, since your Gauge cluster uses the same signal to determine both the odometer reading and the speed reading, this type of problem lies within the gauge cluster itself. If you find yourself in this situation, you will be able to get your speed 100% and the odometer very close. Or you can choose to get the odometer 100% and the speed very close, or you could even choose a middle road value between the two, and get them both equally close, its up to you, and it depends on your preference. In these situations we never seen an odometer run faster than the speedometer, it's always been the speedometer reading slightly higher than the odometer. Manufacturers typically quote around a 10% speedometer tolerance, which results in them not having to deal with customer complaints on the issue.

Also of note, The SpeedoDRD customer service is exceptional. I've not had any experience with service from the other companies, but when I experienced a problem with my SpeedoDRD, Brooks sent me a newer updated model without even questioning me when/where I bought it. He worked with me via email to insure I was satisfied and always responded VERY quickly. My initial email was to him on a Sunday morning. I did not expect a response until Monday but was shocked to see him respond within one hour! I wish more companies operated like this guy!

So, the reason I went with SpeedoDRD initially is because it was less expensive to do the same job plus they had such positive forum feedback from all over. :icon_beer: :Rockon:

Nice customer service! Nice to see professional confirmation of what everyone has been saying. It's a ratio and you can't alter the ratio with a device like that, only slide it like a scale. Once you know the ratio, you can set it up accordingly. I have been thinking about a sprocket change for the 919 so I would use one of those to calibrate my odometer with my GPS so it's as close to 100 percent accurate as possible.

I use the speedohealer. I don't think the SpeedoDRD was available when I got mine in '04.

If you make a 5% adjustment to correct the speedo then the odo will read a bit low.
Then, when your odo says 100,000 miles, it will really have 105,000 miles.

:)

So, on my improve fuel mpg thread I think Cobalt brought up the fact that there is often a discrepancy in actual speed and what the speedometer reads. I used my Contour +2 with GPS function and rode to work with it on. Sure enough it seemed close to a 5-10% discrepancy.

video proof for your enjoyment: Contour | Stories | FILE0009

So, what speedometer correction device do you use and why?
Mine is stock,but did not vote as I don`t believe it is hearsay,and believe Yamaha do this on purpose like most car & bike manufacture`s

I'm running a Speedo DRD and its good. Speedometer error was 8.5%. My Odo is now 4.1% out. So it was 4.4% out standard (with Std sprockets). Confirmed using GPS on straight road (100kph) makes this easy. A bit harder at 100mph.

Let me get this right? I have installed a 16T sprocket on my bike and run a speedhealer ....

So are you guys saying that my odo will be out by the same amount (%) that i have adjusted my speedo by?

No. Just that your odo still may be off even though your speedo is correct. They both were inaccurate when you put the 16t sprocket on. My bet is that if. The speedo is correct, your odo is close.

I voted Healtech but I don't have it yet...I have a gipro-x gear indicator from them and had trouble with the first one, contacted them and got great support even on a sunday at 10pm, they sent another one right away , the product is small well made and it has bike specific harness

With current gears my bike is exactly 20% off .
I went 240km/h on the dash and the gps showed 200

I can live with 5-10% but 20% is too much

I plan on riding my Fz1 till the wheels fall off, so either 100k miles or till I go down again, whichever comes first (dems jokes, :wazzup:). If I were to use a SpeedoDRD and adjust the speed to within 3-5% instead of 8-10%, does this mean the odometer would read fewer miles by about to 2-4% assuming it's accurate now.

My silly Contour +2 decided to stop working and I haven't been able to get a response from customer service in 2 days. I was going to go out and get a better shot of the odometer to see how much it's actually off.

I possibly committed another heresy - going backwards from the normal/orthodox sproket tooth change... actually gearing UP my final drive ratio with a 42-tooth rear sprocket vs the stock 45. This corrected my speedo within 1-mph at highway speeds (using my GPS.) Not sure if that made the ODO better or worse, but I like have the speedo right. (Main reason I made the change was to drop the rpm a bit for 80mph highway cruising.)

I gree that having a speedo and odo that don't read correctly can be a bit of a PIA but I know generally how fast I'm going from riding with a GPS quite a bit. My only real concern is riding without knowing ecactly how fast I'm going in an area where it is known that a couple mph may get a person pulled over, or, when some jerk is on my ass an I'm not sure if I'm really lagging behind or they are just in a big hurry. I generally ride the speed limit because I learned the hard way how expensive it can get to have a heavy foot. Now I'm points clear and expect to keep it that way. I always use a GPS when touring anyway and because it automatically gives my true speed I don't need another electronic gadget.

Back