what would you like to see for the gen 3?

what would you like to see for the gen 3

• 08 r1's flatplane derived engine with upspec chassis and equipment with all new bodywork

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I chose option 2 because that is what I'd want. But, what I think will happen is more like an FZ12 instead with an all new design since Yamaha is clearly using most of the FZ1 parts now for the FZ8.

Last edited:
^^^ You know that is a really good point Eric, perhaps the whole point of the FZ8 is to get rid of the running gear and body work? Mercedes did a similar thing prior to the most recent 550S. They did a one year run of 350S to get rid of the bodies at a lower price point.

I like to see the "new" FZ1 designed from the ground up. For me it would be a sportier version of what we have today, with a better suspension, unmushy rearsets, less weight, and riding position that leans forward a little. Hey wait a minute...that's what I built. :party0011:

Thanks Pete! But, I think you're pushing the sport bike more than the touring bike. ;) What you built is getting closer to the R1 in ride and ergos. The touring side of this beast requires some mush and a standard seating position. :D

I think you'd like an R1 with the ergos a bit more upright?

Thanks Pete! But, I think you're pushing the sport bike more than the touring bike. ;) What you built is getting closer to the R1 in ride and ergos. The touring side of this beast requires some mush and a standard seating position. :D

I think you'd like an R1 with the ergos a bit more upright?

That's pretty much correct, but an R1, even with Converti would be a tough bike for longer trips. As far as making the FZ1 more comfy, how about an FJR?

Orrrr....what about adjustable rearsets and bars? Ala the VFR1200. A very sporty, but comfortable bike.

I concur, "crossplane" is the way to go. From what i hear the 09 R1 powerplant would be ideal for the FZ1. Most of us dont care about top-end, but nice smooth low-mid range power for "real world" riding. Also, i hope Yamaha doesn't water down the power or restrict the hell out of it as the did on the gen2. A few things not on your list, upgraded suspension incl a steering dampner, adjustable pegs, better fuel consumption, 6 pot- brakes and lower gearing.

I'm not sure how many FZ1's were sold last year, but I'd bet that they sell a small number compared to all the cruiser/standard bikes. Add this to the fact that for the most part the population that can afford a $11,000 plus motorcycle is aging, I'd bet Yamaha will not spend a bunch of money on an already very good sport bike. They have the FZ8 coming out in Europe and I recently saw a Yamaha XT1200Z Adventure bike. Whatever they are doing, they are looing at new markets, not something that is already tapped out.

I would like to see a comfy touring bike that can still ride with the best super sport bikes. I'd want same handle bars, adjustable seat from the FZ6R, adjustable rearsets, larger fuel tank if fuel consumption isn't improved, crossplane engine kinda just for starters. Hope yamaha pays a little attention to these boards and comes out with something killer for the next gen. :Rockon:

I concur, "crossplane" is the way to go. From what i hear the 09 R1 powerplant would be ideal for the FZ1. Most of us dont care about top-end, but nice smooth low-mid range power for "real world" riding. Also, i hope Yamaha doesn't water down the power or restrict the hell out of it as the did on the gen2. A few things not on your list, upgraded suspension incl a steering dampner, adjustable pegs, better fuel consumption, 6 pot- brakes and lower gearing.

I didnt want to put too many poll options or it would become a giant wall of text lol..

I too would love to see those equipment fitted to the gen 3. :+1:

personally... what I'd want is the Gen 1, with a crossplane engine and carbs... maybe with USD forks, but better units than what's used on the Gen II.... rear suspension should be a better unit than the Gen II as well... like the Gen 1's rear...

I'd like to see the wheelbase shrink by about 1-2" ... and cable operated throttle... no fly-by-wire crap... and variable timing... a 5.5" rear wheel again... wave rotors front and rear.... and more attractive lower fairing options... and since companies like Hyosung can do it without jacking up the cost, I'd like to see adjustable rearsets from the factory.... then... since we're dreaming.. how about hydraulic lifters so valve adjustments are a thing of the past...

personally... what I'd want is the Gen 1, with a crossplane engine and carbs... maybe with USD forks, but better units than what's used on the Gen II.... rear suspension should be a better unit than the Gen II as well... like the Gen 1's rear...

I'd like to see the wheelbase shrink by about 1-2" ... and cable operated throttle... no fly-by-wire crap... and variable timing... a 5.5" rear wheel again... wave rotors front and rear.... and more attractive lower fairing options... and since companies like Hyosung can do it without jacking up the cost, I'd like to see adjustable rearsets from the factory.... then... since we're dreaming.. how about hydraulic lifters so valve adjustments are a thing of the past...

variable valve timing is something we would probably see on the fjr first **points to 2010 kawi concours 14**

Well since the other thread was started a while back...Kawasaki released the revamped Z1000 and the economy hasn't recovered.

I'd like to see the "cross-plane" R1 engine myself with the R1 front suspension (and brakes) with proper gearing, plus a decent rear shock. Ergos can remain pretty much like the Gen 2, but maybe a more comfortable seat wouldn't hurt. Trick is can Yamaha do this and keep the bike priced competitively (under $11k). Only time will tell...

I would like a bike between the FZ1 and the FJR (FZJR) but doubt that is going to happen. The VFR1200 is a nice looking bike, I sat on one a couple of weeks ago at a dealer....but sticker is $16K.

Well since the other thread was started a while back...Kawasaki released the revamped Z1000 and the economy hasn't recovered.

I'd like to see the "cross-plane" R1 engine myself with the R1 front suspension (and brakes) with proper gearing, plus a decent rear shock. Ergos can remain pretty much like the Gen 2, but maybe a more comfortable seat wouldn't hurt. Trick is can Yamaha do this and keep the bike priced competitively (under $11k). Only time will tell...

Ok what about electronic variable velocity stacks as seen on the 07-08 R1 (i forgot to mention this earlier). In fact, scrap the "crossplane engine" use the 07-08 R1 engine to keep the $ down and do quality suspension (doesn't Yamaha own Ohlins?), 6-pot brakes. The gen2 has the best styling of all the supernaked's, dump the crap drag-bars and replace with Renthal streetfight bars.

I would hate to see Yamaha do a throw-back to the gen1 genre, i know alot of you would love to see this but i personaly wouldn't. If you want a cruiser buy a Harley, if you want a sports/tourer buy a FJR or VFR. Yamaha needs to look at the MV Brutale and the Ducati streetfighter and go full-on, if they do a half- hearted bitza bike they will fail. Kawasaki has stepped up with the Z1000 and leaned towards the Italian bikes for inspiration.

Back