What would you want to see in a Gen III FZ1??

Just saw a thread here that there's no change for 2013 and that got me thinking.. what sort of changes would I want to see on a next gen of our bikes?

The one thing I would really love: optional electronic cruise control! .. but that's a tough one, since I believe that would require throttle-by-wire (which I'm actually not crazy about).

Another thought came to mind.. why not have optional upgrades / features like so many cars offer? Rear shock is OK, but certainly could be much better.. why not offer an upgrade option for a reasonable price?

Current YZF-R1 motor (crossplane crankshaft)
Traction Control System (like R1)
Forced-air intake system (like R1)
Radial-mount 6-piston front calipers (like R1)
Basically my dream FZ1 would have the current YZF-R1 performance with the old FZ6 Fazer S2 ergonomics.

Kawasaki ZX-14R power would be a plus.

Last edited:
I think there is enough power there for what it is to honest , it would benefit from a more comfy seat ,better suspension and a decent helmet lock , other than that you cant really fault it .

Comfort... better seat and bars. Bigger tank. more color options. and more toys on the dash. and a little bit or storage wouldnt hurt

More range is really all I want out of my FZ1. I wish I could go about 400-450km on a tank. I have friends and family 380km away and it burns my ass that I have to stop for fuel. With the stop, I only save about 10 minutes from taking my cage!!

hmm

Flux capacitor, Smoothie maker, power outlets, hidden blow up doll, vibrating seat, money printer.

That would be my choice for the next Gen3. I emailed Yamaha Co. and told them it needs to time travel. They lol'ed.

Anyways, The crossplane motor I think would be a plus. Even if it is numbed down, it provides better traction in almost all areas. Better EFI, with finally bringing an affordable ABS system offered on an american production FZ. Bigger tank, better MPG,s with more power options for those who want them.

All in all I think they should make a base model FZ1 Gen3 and offer 3 different styles to choose from. Touring, Middle based and Slightly sport.

Current YZF-R1 motor (crossplane crankshaft)
Traction Control System (like R1)
Forced-air intake system (like R1)
Radial-mount 6-piston front calipers (like R1)
Basically my dream FZ1 would have the current YZF-R1 performance with the old FZ6 Fazer S2 ergonomics.

Kawasaki ZX-14R power would be a plus.

Im with you with the exception of the ZX14 power. I would love to have the crossplane engine even if it is detuned a little. I have good low-midrange torque but I know that that crosplane engine could get 80 ft-lbs! That would be AWESOME!! They could do an "R" version that has the radial brakes, Ohlins suspension (or at least a fully adjustable rear shock) and maybe a little carbon fiber to set it off. I would pay a little more for that.

I personally dont want the next FZ1 to be more toured-out. Most of the other standards (CB1000 and Z1000) are getting sportier. Hoever, my second bike is a Triumph Sprint :D

Just saw a thread here that there's no change for 2013 and that got me thinking.. what sort of changes would I want to see on a next gen of our bikes?

The one thing I would really love: optional electronic cruise control! .. but that's a tough one, since I believe that would require throttle-by-wire (which I'm actually not crazy about).

Another thought came to mind.. why not have optional upgrades / features like so many cars offer? Rear shock is OK, but certainly could be much better.. why not offer an upgrade option for a reasonable price?
Been toying with adding an aftermarket Cruise. Done it on a couple of cars and its not real hard, just need enough vacuum, 12v,brake and clutch wired and enough room.

Back