whats everyones thought on kevlar jeans

Seeming as I'm in the uk an never been to your part of the world... I have a set of draggin jeans and love them! If only they were waterproof aswell!

I have a couple of pairs of the shift Ridding jeans. Yes they are better than regular jeans in my opinion, just like regular jeans are better than shorts. I do wear shin and knee protection when i ride aggresively but still feel somewhat volnurable. I do like the jeans, but if I ever go down in them I guarantee I'll be wishing I would have gotten something with knee, shin, and thigh protection. I am actively searching for what I want because I don't want leather pants, I know I'd hate life in 100+ weather in them. So, having said all that if you still want to give them a try chech this link out. They're having a sale.

Shift Street Apparel-Men's-Riding Pants from SportbikeTrackGear.com

I'am also interested in the Kevlar jeans.I often ride with a two piece leather suit but would like something that looks a little more normal.

Same here. I was thinking about getting a custom 2 piece later this year for more aggressive street riding. Right now I have a pair of textile/mesh pants that zip to my jacket. They are definitely comfortable but they definitely do not look "normal".

I really want something much more casual so I don't look like a freak when I go to the mall, meet & greet or a movie theater.

I have both a two piece textile set up and two piece leather both were very affordable. Both are made by Frank Thomas and my only complaint is the velcro straps on the wrist cuffs of the leather jacket id not last long. Leather was $350.00 full set up, Textile 150.00(amazing deal)

I have both a two piece textile set up and two piece leather both were very affordable. Both are made by Frank Thomas and my only complaint is the velcro straps on the wrist cuffs of the leather jacket id not last long. Leather was $350.00 full set up, Textile 150.00(amazing deal)

i didn't know the big hurt made riding gear! :laugh2:

I had a slow crash (30mph) in high quality textiles before with thick layers and armour sections and those textiles didn't last very long. The material on the hips wore through to the armour in probably 3 seconds and I had some small rash on my arm. They did the job, but only once.

Based on that experience, I'd probably not have much faith in riding jeans. The idea is good but I'm just not convinced they will do a whole hell of a lot. We were checking out a pair of Shift jeans for my girlfriend who just bought a two-piece leather suit to replace her current textile gear but we decided to skip the jeans for now.

Kevlar jeans are better than pure textile jeans, but not much. If you go down you really want cowhide between you and the pavement, or at least some good armoring on hips and knees and elbows which will take the brunt of the fall. Of course you'll have good leather gloves and full face helment as standard.

In summer I ride in a BMW Airflow 4 jacket (expensive, but best jacket I've owned) and Dragon Jeans. The Dragon jeans have kevlar in the hips, bum and knee areas. They also have one model that has armour. In winter I ride in either my old trusty leather jacket and dragon jeans or, if wet, a Tiger Angel goretex jacket and pants. I must admit, now age is catching up, I do wonder how good the kevlar will be...........

Johnny:

I have a phantom 1piece that I love and a two piece mesh combo for summer riding, but I wanted something I could wear when I ride to my kids various sporting events and not stand out like a sore thumb. Just picked up a pair of Comp Acc sliders jeans with armor for around $90. Put about 600 miles on them so far and am very happy with them (although they are hot). For longer rides I'll wear the dedicated gear, but for short rides or running errands these are perfect. Quality is good, lots of kevlar, seems like they'll hold up well in a slide. Local EMT is a harley guy, told me he went to a crash and it took twenty minutes to figure out how to get to the rider's leg because they couldn't get thru the the kevlar. Fish tale maybe, but seems plausible.

I had a very low-speed get off with my Fieldsheer kevlar jeans (don't think they make them anymore) and they held up just fine. Don't think they will fare as well at higher speeds, but they are still better than regular jeans. Like others have said I wear these when I want a more "casual" look, otherwise I wear my armored mesh Firstgear pants.

this happend through jeans a couple years ago . I say just get good leather padded riding pants or a suit . fwiw this pic was taken about an hour after my accident . it grew from my middle back to my toes .my leg was also punctured in a couple of spots at the same time, but I will spare you that . wear the gear

I have 8 riding suits and here is my opinion.

1) If you are going riding in the heat, perforated 1 piece leather suits.

2) If you have money to waste, Kevlar! Kevlar burns are horrible and they offer little or no impact protection.

3-5) Moto Dry, Waterproof with CE armor and added back brace, before riding in the rain spray liberally with "ScotchGuard"

6) Hot Days, RST vented jacket and trousers with CE armor and Back Brace.

7)Track days Tiger Angel full leathers ($$$$$), heavy and hot but will get you to the hospital in one piece.

9) Lewis Racing leathers purchased in 1967 and used at the Isle of Man 1967 1968 and would still fit me if I lost 60 kilos.

8) Tiger Angel two piece, waterproof, breathable,suits, the best there is, cool in summer, warm in winter $1670 and worth every cent.

I am looking around for a pair. The new advancments with materials like kevlar etc make them better than they used to be. Its hot here in GA and nice to be cooler but protected..

I have four leather jackets and one Tourmaster Intake. I change depending on the weather and my mindset at the time. I don't own a set of leather pants but I have in the past, they were OK but I never felt they gave me much protection over the lined jeans I prefer to wear almost all the time. The fleece lined jeans are about three times thicker than non-lined jeans and have quite a bit of padding 100% of the way around. I think each rider should wear what they feel secure in. However, afer riding on the street for 48 years, it has been my experience that when I did go down (three times now), I could have prevented it by being aware of my surroundings. Once was from sand in the road, once was from antifreeze in the road, and once was not being ready for a car that pulled in front of me in a parking lot. I won't try to blame it on the road or the other person, I'm the one responsible for my own safety.........period. When you're on the street, every rider should obey whatever laws are in effect for the area they are riding in, that means speed and right-of-way. Five leather outfits won't protect you if you hit a stationary object at speed. I've seen it and the results aren't pretty. Sliding isn't a whole lot better, but burn marks will heal, even if they still look bad after the healing is done. I preach to new, and some older riders, keep your eyes on the road and don't do anything you'll later have to admit was stupid and your own fault, and don't think for a minute your suit will save your sorry butt when you go down.

9) Lewis Racing leathers purchased in 1967 and used at the Isle of Man 1967 1968 and would still fit me if I lost 60 kilos.

8) Tiger Angel two piece, waterproof, breathable,suits, the best there is, cool in summer, warm in winter $1670 and worth every cent.

Isle of Man? Do tell the story.....how did you go?

I too like the Tiger Angel kit.....good quality stuff.

A friend tested some Aero Stich textile pants and a Cortech mesh-leather jacket yesterday afternoon. The get off was at about 50 mph and a low side. Pants had a couple of holes and the jacket separated around the elbow area where the leather and mesh stitch together. He ended up with some slight road rash on his forearm near his elbow. The jacket is definitely done but it did it's job. Gravel 2 friends 0

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back