When to switch to synthetic after break-in

fz1atp

Just got off the phone with my yamaha dealership. i had a question about clutch engagement. the dealer had to call yamaha, and while we had their tech dept. on the phone, i asked the q. about when to swap to synthetic oil. Yamaha said WAIT till 5000 miles.

That makes sense. And really for street riding if you're changing your oil every 3k miles I don't think it makes much of a difference if you use conventional or synthetic.

:bs2: :banghead: :D

That's what I say to Yamaha because the guys racing them put synthetic in after every rebuild for the race engines. They break in just fine. I change to synthetic at 75 miles on new vehicles.

At Ask Mobil, here is their answer. Keep in mind that all new Corvettes come off the line with Mobil 1 and never see dino oil!

Ask Mobil said:
Answer:
Modern vehicles can use Mobil 1 fully synthetic oil right from the factory. As evidence of this fact, more than 35 new car makes and models use Mobil 1 as factory fill. So there is no reason to wait to start enjoying the benefits of Mobil 1.

I switch at about 1000. No since in wasting the good shit right off the bat since I am flushing a few times with Dino. First change at 100, then 500, then Syn at 1000.

he did not say why..........?
The only reason i've seen for waiting at all is proper break-in....?
Since my dealer called about the clutch...... i wonder if the clutch needs more break-in than the piston rings/engine components????
:banghead:

Of course, this all depends on "how" you break it in.... I don't follow the book. Break it in like I'm going to ride it, just no sustained single RPM level for any period of time. Hard acel/decel for the first 20 miles to load the rings and wear them in quicker. I've never had an engine fail or use (burn) oil.

I was told from a guy that races sports bikes that you can break it in hot like they do at the track or take it nice and easy like an everyday rider. Only makes a diffrence of a couple of horses and yamaha has that break in coating on the cylinder walls so really wouldn't see the issue with switching when you want to

Back