Which 530 chain?

+1 for the DID ZVMX

My original has done 53k and starting to show a bit of wear. I could have got a bit more out of it but what the heck. Just had this installed with Super Sprox rear Sprocket. I went with the OEM front sprocket as it has the rubber damping. Now to see how it goes!

image.jpg

Last edited:
My original has done 53k and starting to show a bit of wear. I could have got a bit more out of it but what the heck. Just had this installed with Super Sprox rear Sprocket. I went with the OEM front sprocket as it has the rubber damping. Now to see how it goes!

View attachment 21700

Yes I also prefer to use the OEM front sprocket, as previously stated I like to turn it over at approx. 25,000-30,000 klms

I'm starting to see the tell tale red marks in my chain, so I need some recommendations for a new chain.

I want to stick with the stock 530 pitch and was thinking about going an EK ZZZ? Overkill?

Any other recommendations? I'm going to need at least 124 links as I will be running -1 +2 gearing.

Any places that have specials would be nice too.

Yo Ballmead where is your chain showing red marks ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm starting to see the tell tale red marks in my chain, so I need some recommendations for a new chain.

I want to stick with the stock 530 pitch and was thinking about going an EK ZZZ? Overkill?

Any other recommendations? I'm going to need at least 124 links as I will be running -1 +2 gearing.

Any places that have specials would be nice too.

Gear ratio

1- and +2 gear ratios... Yes?
Would that be 16f and 47r?

That would make a 2.9375 ratio if you go 16-47 that is.
I'm led to believe you don't really want to go over 2.9 max
just an observation fella. Too far and your 2nd gear could become what your first used to be.
I'm on a 16f and moving to a 46 rear to give 2.875 ratio.

I've been running that set up for the last few years and there is still a big difference between 1st and 2nd.

Its perfect for my naked FZ1.

I don't need to he able to do 290 kph, as anything over 200 kph is hard work.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

I notice the DID ZVMX 520 chain is rated at 1200cc and is good for high powered Sport bikes up to 1200cc like a BMW S1000RR and Ducati Panagale.

The only issue is that if I did a 520 conversion I would have to use an after market 17T front sprocket but on the plus side, I can get a 50T steel rear sprocket :)

Any issues using a 520 chain that is rated for bikes higher than the FZ1?? Do they wear quicker than a 530?

Last edited:
Here is the workshop manual way to check the drive chain by measuring 15 links of chain for stretch.

I performed it in 3 spots like instructed and found I'm right on 239mm.

Ok, so after much reading and searching for a good price I finally decided that I would stick with a 530 chain and I took Billy's advise and bought a 130 Link Gold RK GB530XSOZ 1 chain on Ebay.

I got it for an awesome price and the shipping to Oz is excellent too.

Next up is a Driven or Superlite 530 steel 49T rear sprocket, I'm just waiting on shipping quotes.

Last edited:
Ok, so I fit the chain and sprockets up today. Pics to follow.

I have a question about the factory lube that is on the chain, do I leave it on or do I clean the chain and apply some spray lube?

It looks like some really good stuff so I'm thinking I should probably leave it alone for a few hundred klms?

Here are a couple of pics of my new setup.

RK GB530XSOZ1 chain with stock 17T front sprocket, Driven Racing steel 530 49T rear sprocket and Driven racing black sprocket nuts

Last edited:
They are 7000 series hard aluminium so I just used a socket and ratchet spanner.

They only require 29 ft/lbs of torque and I used blue loctite to ensure they stay on.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Back