Which FZ1 is best bang for my buck?

Hi, new here, wondering if the 2006 FZ1 isnt the best bang for my buck in the FZ1 market? I have read they are the best handling of the older bikes, except for the secondary butterfly issue the fastest also. Other than that is there any downside to buying one of those versus another year? Im kinda sold on the FZ1 versus anything else, and the Kenny Roberts paint job is, well I love it, enough said. Im just trying to do the due diligance thing and find the best of what I want, hopefully for the best seal I can find, barring any catastrophe's, any/all help and or opinions welcomed.

My understanding is only the ECU changed and some minor things changed from 2006 until the current model, so yes a 2006 is the most bang for your buck if going second gen.

However first gens are a lot of bike for pretty cheap.

That's not an easy answer as everyone's experience with a bike is personal. Here's what I can tell you about how I feel about mine....

I have never owned a bike as long as I've owned my 2009 FZ1. Most last two - three years max. But, each year, I look at the selections available, looking for that new model of something that makes me say "Wow! Now THAT is the bike I really want!" I compare specs, looks and design to my beloved FZ1.... and each year, there just isn't that WOW factor on any of those new bikes. And every spring when I roll out the FZ1 and throw a leg over it for the first year's ride, I know that THIS bike is my WOW factor.

Now, I really liked this bike a lot, and then, after a lot of reading, finally caved in and got the ECU flashed by Ivan. That was a wake-up call, a whole new bike, a bike I'd wanted the FZ1 to really be all this time. It will be hard to beat the FZ1 for this guy. Sure, there's new bikes that go faster, there's new tech, new design, but not enough (yet) to make me want to part ways with this ride. This year will be my 6th season on the FZ1 and I'm still grinning ear to ear.

Hope that helps!

-Eric

Buy whatever you can afford as they are pretty much all the same except for ECU improvements, rear spring weight and colours.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Gen1?

You might want to look into the gen1. Tons of power, comfortable and good range with larger tank. There are a few in my area close to $3k with under 20k miles. If your good with carbs instead of FI it is a good bang for your buck. Maybe another consideration?

You might want to look into the gen1. Tons of power, comfortable and good range with larger tank. There are a few in my area close to $3k with under 20k miles. If your good with carbs instead of FI it is a good bang for your buck. Maybe another consideration?

Agreed. It's a hell of a bike for under $3000 if you can barter your way down.

Best bang for my buck.

I am greatfull for all the information, the things I probably should have focused on where the secondary butterfly issue on the 2006, the fact that the frame is allegedly stiffer/better for handling, and the fact that 2nd gen bike is fuel injected, if I have my info right, those where the things I was wondering about, and if the hickups where easy fix items would I have maybe an all around great FZ1 for medium money? Between selling my Gold Wing, and an older diesel truck I should be able to afford a pretty decent bike, and some mods to get it up to snuff! I cant beleive how many mods there are that can be done to these bikes it blows my mind! I know these baby's accelerate like well great, and they stop real good too, I want as much of the handling I can get for the money also, well that I can get in a sit up bike. So I guess what Im saying is-is the 2006 the best bet for the best handling/and fuel injected FZ1 for my money hopefully? I have been looking around and know the earlier bikes are usually cheaper, and dont handle quite as well, not like my expertise caneven use it all coming off the bikes I have ridden, but ifI can get it all why not right? Plus Im no carb guy, maybe someday but not yet, I can clean the carg on a thumper, or my quad, but big fours no I dont think so. So maybe fuel injection " should be the choice" for me also. Anyway I appreciate all your input, and hope for more after elaborating on what I should have in the beggining, Im hoping to have a new bike within a month ; ) and I cannot wait!

Best FZ1

I can say that i did about a years worth of detailed research and, I too, came to the fact that the FZ1 is the best liter bike for all around everything. Sure, I want the tech in a BMW R series..but the sheer performance of a modded FZ1 is amazing. I have owned my 2007 for about 3 weeks now, it has under 12K on it and is almost showroom, lower faring and all Ivan upgrades. Its brutally fast, yet calm and predictable when you ride it as such. I called Ivan and talked about upgrades, current flashes, etc. He said that any of the engines, per se, were exactly the same. Yamaha makes little changes to them here and there over the years, but if you get his upgrades, they maximize the FZ performance and make it run as it was meant to run. I found my bike on Craigs and right before i pulled the trigger Ivan said to get a FZ with the least miles, good condition and enjoy after upgrades. I sure am. :))

I had a 1st gen for 13 years and worked like a charm.. except cleaning the carbs every few years...I just picked up a 07 a few months ago with low miles...definitely the 2nd gen. looks way better and alot of aftermarket parts support...BUT to get it to run right...Must get a ecu flash!

I just got mine done last week and running 16-46 sprockets...Wow...she runs great now and made me happy:icon_beer:

I've owned both the first and second gen bikes and they're both fantastic choices. I'm extremely happy with my 2006 as it will run through the SF Bay Area mountains with sport bikes with no problems.

I hated the dreaded snatchy throttle but after installing Ivan's FCE that was solved. I just went with a new chain and 16/47 sprockets and I'm extremely happy. Now my 2007 Tuono is almost forgotten. The FZ1 is a much better bike all around IMO.

I'm now waiting for my Mivv slip on from PJ's parts. More fun!

I've decided to sell my 06 fz1. Reluctant to do it because it been a great bike. I had Ivan do the reflash and it's a must for the 06 bikes. It only has 6,000 miles and I'm selling it with all the modes for $6000. If a guy what's it stock then $4,500.

In 2006 in purchased a leftover 2005. I don't remember the price, but I remember being happy at the time. The 2005 was a great bike. I sold the 2005 in 2010 to buy a Harley. About ten days ago I sold the Harley and bought a leftover 2013 FZ1 for $8,900 out the door (tax, license, everything). I'm only 300 miles into the 2013, but I'm happy with the bike and the price. I'll need to do the 600 mile service by the end of the weekend.

Buy the newest model you can afford. Don't be afraid to lowball an offer. There's nothing personal here, this is business. Of course condition and mileage are a consideration.

Back