Whiskey Row

G-man

My buddy Jeff bought one of my FZ1's and came out last w/e to take her home but first a 2 day Tour of Arizona's finest roads were in order.

Even though we have rode/raced and crashed into each other in over 40+ years of motorcycling (MX), this was Jeff's first streetbike and a NEW experience for him.

We did about 480 miles in a couple of days with the majority of them being twisty.

Check out some pics:

https://picasaweb.google.com/103236...me4_6_13?authke#slideshow/5865068484696058834

4_7_13_JEROME33.jpg

Gary

youve got some great pics there, love the sunset by the dock... and some awesome little places like the t-bird cafe and stuff - must have been a great trip

Thanks guys.

Here is some History of Prescott and Whiskey Row:

Prescott was founded in 1863 and incorporated in 1883. During the late 1800s, Prescott twice served as the territorial capital, and the Governor's Mansion is now preserved at the Sharlot Hall Museum.
In 1864, the town site of Prescott was surveyed and laid out along Granite Creek where gold had been panned. The town was designated the capital of the new territory of Arizona after Arizona was separated from New Mexico. President Lincoln wanted the territorial capital in the northern part of the territory, far away from the Confederate sympathizing cities to the south.
whiskey_row_1800.jpg

Whiskey Row in the early 1900's
Lincoln also decided to populate this new capital with Northerners and Midwesterners and this decision resulted in Prescott being the most Midwestern-looking city in Arizona. Victorian homes and peaked roof homes were built, a far cry from the adobe structures that were more common in the Southwest.
The early economy of the area centered on cattle ranching and mining. In July of 1900, a fire destroyed much of Prescott's commercial district. Within hours, make-shift shelters were erected on the Courthouse Plaza and businesses began rebuilding. Following the fire, most buildings in the downtown area were reconstructed of brick, providing today's rich architectural heritage.
The City places great emphasis on historic preservation, with over 600 buildings on the National Register of Historic Places.

The 100 block of South Montezuma Street in Prescott, Arizona has long been known as Whiskey Row, for the numerous saloons that once lined the street.
On July 14, 1900, this block was totally destroyed by fire. Within a few days of the fire, new construction was underway in brick and masonry. Most of the buildings on this block were constructed between the fall of 1900 and 1905, and include Sam'l Hill Hardware Company, the Highland Hotel, the Palace, the Levy Building, and the Hotel St. Michael. All of these buildings are constructed with permanence and appearance in mind in styles typical of early 20th century buildings.
Most of the color and stories of Prescott originated in this one block landmark that still celebrates that fact that it once hosted over 40 saloons. If you have ever been to Downtown Prescott and witnessed "The Row", it would be hard to imagine that so many saloons could have fit on one block. Prior to 1877, "The Row" was rumored to have been located a couple blocks to the west of its present location. But it was moved due to the insistence of many of the local employers and wives, because the patrons of "The Row" had to cross a foot bridge over Granite Creek to return home and in the wet season, some of the more sot would fall into this very shallow creek and drown.

Some buildings were architecturally progressive, such as Sam'l Hill Hardware Company, or architecturally outstanding, such as the Palace and the Hotel St. Michael. All present a united front to the Courthouse Plaza, resulting in a unique turn-of-the-century facade which is essentially intact today.

sharlothallphotoweb.jpg

Great pictures, and I'm also jealous of your weather. We're supposed to be getting a winter storm tonight with 6-10 inches of snow. I also like your little history lesson, I'm looking forward to my retirement years and riding down south to look at these landmarks in person.:sport12:

Thanks Trucker, and yes the weather is real nice right about now.

Wish it would stay like that but HELL (114) is around the corner.....

I'm up in Prescott about twice a month. I ride the Spars and Yarnell hill each time. I need to get a Mingus run to Jerome in soon. Let me know if you want to ride sometime.

I'm up in Prescott about twice a month. I ride the Spars and Yarnell hill each time. I need to get a Mingus run to Jerome in soon. Let me know if you want to ride sometime.

same here!

last time i was up that way, i got a warning on Yarnell. i have to slow down a bit when the authorities are around.

Back