Who upgraded from an FZ6?

AlanB

I've been riding for 2 years now. My Fz6 was my first bike and I have about 9,000 miles on it. I've made several mostly cosmetic mods, but I'm starting to get the itch. The problem is I'm 50 years old, 6'5" tall and the crotch rockets just don't work for me on all day rides. That's how I ended up with my FZ6in the first place. In upgrading, I'm looking at Hoda VFR800, but they are pricey and hard to find where I live (Orange County, CA), Triumph Sprint ST, which I rode and liked, but did not love, BMW F800ST, whcih I will test ride at a demo day tomorrow, and the FZ1. Frankly, in terms of appearance, the Tiumph and BMW are just a little to "grown up". (I may be 50, but my heart is 25 when it comes to motorcycles.) While the FZ1 is subltly better looking (especially the seat and back end of the bike), they look so close that if I got a red one, I don't think my wife would notice! I don't use all the abilities of my 6, but a little more low end power would be welcome.

So the question is this: What did you like most and least about upgrading from the FZ6 to the FZ1? Any regrets? Is it all you hoped it would be? Thanks!

i actually upgraded from my very first bike which was a 2009 FZ6R to my FZ1 in a matter of 2 months!! i loved my R but once i got used to it and opened up a FZ1 i knew instantly it was a million times better....far better built far faster far bigger and far more comfortable...i say get the fz1 for sure its AWESOME and very fast :sport12:

Welcome to the forum Alan. First let me say that you member number will never change. It's with you always...(666)...Cool !! :D At 47 years old, I am right behind you. I love the ergonomics of the FZ1. With my tired old back, its a joy to be able to cruise around all day without the slightest discomfort. I have sat on the FZ6 at a show last year and while it didn't feel much different from the FZ1, I think the power difference makes all the difference. Before you go searching for other makes and models, I would seriously look into a Gen1 with low miles as a natural upgrade from your FZ6. I sat on a Gen2 and it was a little too sporty for me in the seating position. I must be getting too old. My last sportbike was a GSXR750 which at that time was also ridden all day long but those days are all but over. I wanted the power of a sportbike and the comfort of an all day cruiser. I got that and much more with my FZ1.

Hi Alan. I came from the FZ6 family. I've owned both an '05 FZ6 as well as the '08 FZ6. After a trip to TN and the Tail of the Dragon, I found the 6 was lacking but not in engine, more in stock suspension and braking. BTW, I am 44 going on 25 as well.

When I got back, I went and made a deal for the FZ1, sort of spur of the moment because I only went to the dealer to get the 6 inspected.

After riding this beast, I can tell you the added hp is incredible! The handling is a giant leap forward on the GEN II over the FZ6. This bike just seems to drop into corners without any effort at all. The braking is phenomonal over the FZ6. The bike is just as nimble and to me, more flickable than the 6. The ergonomics are very close with the '09 FZ1 being slightly more aggressive but a set of SW Motech Bar-Backs would solve a lot of folks gripes. My longest trip without getting off the seat was a single tank of gas where I ran 159 miles and pulled in with nothing more than fumes in the tank. No problems with back, neck, arms, wrists, etc...

I have zero regrets about this swap and I was one who always said the FZ6 was my bike for life.

Either way, you have a great bike in the FZ6 or will in an FZ1. If you like the FI and low maintenance of the FZ6, then I'd suggest a GEN II FZ1 all the way.

See my post here: http://www.998cc.org/forum/6606-post9.html
also here: http://www.998cc.org/forum/6435-post7.html

Thanks FZ1inNH. I remember the change from FZ6in NH, so I was hoping you would chime in! I like the slightly more aggressive posture of the FZ6 (in fact, I have FZ1 bars on my FZ6), but it looks so similar, I was wondering if I'd notice that I got a new bike in every day riding. Sounds like I will! The new bike convention comes to SoCal in December and most manufacturers have demo rides. I'll start saving my pennies and try to snag a demo ride somewhere along the line.

Thanks to all who responded!

:D So... what is your name at the sister site?

Every day, I just really enjoy this FZ1 even more. But, I'm also keen to her little nuances and after doing a few mods, I think I need to save and buy the PC V and play with some maps. I think I've gone over the limit with mods that will run OK with the stock ECU. Nothing bad, mind you, just noticing that she's not purring like I want her to. Need to smooth her out some.

Still zero regrets outside of that damned Top Saddlery seat on the FZ6... how I miss that seat.

:D So... what is your name at the sister site?

Every day, I just really enjoy this FZ1 even more. But, I'm also keen to her little nuances and after doing a few mods, I think I need to save and buy the PC V and play with some maps. I think I've gone over the limit with mods that will run OK with the stock ECU. Nothing bad, mind you, just noticing that she's not purring like I want her to. Need to smooth her out some.

Still zero regrets outside of that damned Top Saddlery seat on the FZ6... how I miss that seat.

"AlanB", same as here. Red '07 for my avatar. The TS seat does look cool, but a little $$$ for me. I had a local upholstery shop rebuild my seat to stop sliding into the tank and put a leather cover on it. Not TS, but 10x better than stock.

Note to self.....stay the heck away from Tx. During the summer (humidity alone is liable to kill someone.

Welcome to the forum!

Adam

I upgraded to a "1" and it's all Eric's fault. My wife almost threw him out of here when he came over yesterday.

Just kidding of course. No one can dislike Eric. I have less than zero regrets. If you like the 6 then you'll love the 1. It's that simple really. And if you've ridden 9000 miles on the 6 you'll be a pro on the 1. Go get it my man. Incidentally, I tried the "same color" switcheroo. Didn't work.

I upgraded to a \"1\" and it's all Eric's fault. My wife almost threw him out of here when he came over yesterday.

Just kidding of course. No one can dislike Eric. I have less than zero regrets. If you like the 6 then you'll love the 1. It's that simple really. And if you've ridden 9000 miles on the 6 you'll be a pro on the 1. Go get it my man. Incidentally, I tried the \"same color\" switcheroo. Didn't work.

:p Yes, it is my fault! Her quote was "We don't need friends like you!" I *think* she was kidding. :flash: Please tell her I said Hi, ok?

It was great to meet you Norm! You have a terrific sense of humor and a great laugh! You also have impeccable taste in motorcycles and colors! :D I cannot wait to meet up, ride again and have some more chats. Michele and I enjoyed the ride with you three. Thanks for taking the time to come up and introduce yourself.

As for upgrading, Norm is right. The FZ1 is all you have in the FZ6 plus a whole lot more. Everything about the bike is just better... better clutch, shifting, handling, power, stock seat, braking, acceleration, adjustability, modability and plain fun.

Moving up is all about throttle control. Finesse and easy roll-on! If you're used to hitting the apex on the 6 and going for WOT, you need to learn before you do this on the FZ1 that WOT on the apex *can* put the cart before the horse, so to speak. You're rear will become the front in a hurry. This is where you roll the throttle on the 1. Finesse.... ahhhhhh!

I have zero regrets and no desire to go back. I changed the oil Thursday night with 588 miles on the bike. I parked it late this afternoon with 1267 niles on it. 679 miles in three days. Loved every single mile of it!

Isn't this great! Just one BIG happy forum family. I think I have a tear in my eye!!:hug: I met NJFZ1 today and also had a great time. It's part of what makes these forums so great. People with a common joy, getting together and doing what they love to do......RIDE!

The pleasure was mine Eric! My wife was kidding of course. She knows full well "Norm" is fully capable of stupidity all on his own. She's pretty reserved (shy) though. It took Rollie coming over here a dozen times before she talked to him. She still doesn't talk to Harold yet. Yea, can't wait to ride with you both again!

Isn't this great! Just one BIG happy forum family. I think I have a tear in my eye!!:hug: I met NJFZ1 today and also had a great time. It's part of what makes these forums so great. People with a common joy, getting together and doing what they love to do......RIDE!

You're next on my list if possible. As I said, my best friend lives in Yonkers and I'm there about once a month. If I can, I'll take the bike down to him in the next month or so and try to meet up with you if possible.

The pleasure was mine Eric! My wife was kidding of course. She knows full well \"Norm\" is fully capable of stupidity all on his own. She's pretty reserved (shy) though. It took Rollie coming over here a dozen times before she talked to him. She still doesn't talk to Harold yet. Yea, can't wait to ride with you both again!

:D I know she was. I'll bet I can have a conversation with her by the third visit. ;) One thing I am is a people-person.

Rollie, I can sort of understand based on Harold's description! :p

Now it was great to hear about the NY/NJ guys meeting up too! If we can just all find a place to get together now! :D

You're next on my list if possible. As I said, my best friend lives in Yonkers and I'm there about once a month. If I can, I'll take the bike down to him in the next month or so and try to meet up with you if possible.

That sounds good to me. I'm all for any excuse to pull the bike out. If your friend rides, we can set something up.

Back