Why did internet forums die?

MikeE

I started riding sportbikes in the 90's. In 2014 I loved from Texas to NC and when I moved I sold my bikes and got out of the scene. I got the itch again this year and a few days ago bought a '03 FZ1. So I started looking at the old forums I used to post on like sportbikes.net. That one, this one and all the others are completely dead. There's another FZ1 forum and it looks like they aren't even allowing new members. Nobody has even posted in this section since last year. What happened to internet forums, it there some kind of other outlet? Please don't say facebook, I refuse to support that.

Well you asked but the answer is facebook and google and ignorance and ego. Yamahafz1oa is another forum. However it's a dead model bike, that typically kills forums, nothing new is happening so it degrades to oil and tire threads and people get bored and move on.

I used to be a forum owner and admin for 8-10 others. People stopped using PC's and Laptops to access the internet and started using phones. Most forums were NOT phone friendly and were slow to adapt/change. People now/today don't want to search/scroll through a forum thread 4000 posts deep (that is now 5+ years old and has 75% dead links/photos removed). They just want the answer. So they try google, and if it doesn't spoon feed it to them, they ask people/groups on Facebook. That and so few people wanted to contribute/pay for the forum maintenance/upkeep/forum software and running ads in the forum doesn't return the revenue it once did to pay for the forum webhosting/image hosting and forum software.

I used to be a forum owner and admin for 8-10 others. People stopped using PC's and Laptops to access the internet and started using phones. Most forums were NOT phone friendly and were slow to adapt/change. People now/today don't want to search/scroll through a forum thread 4000 posts deep (that is now 5+ years old and has 75% dead links/photos removed). They just want the answer. So they try google, and if it doesn't spoon feed it to them, they ask people/groups on Facebook. That and so few people wanted to contribute/pay for the forum maintenance/upkeep/forum software and running ads in the forum doesn't return the revenue it once did to pay for the forum webhosting/image hosting and forum software.

This is the correct answer. I Moderate over at MTBR.com and that place is still alive, but not as busy as it used to be for sure.

Back