Wifey's Riding!

It's great to hear that she has taken up riding and really enjoys it! Some new riders get discouraged pretty quickly and just give up and never try again. As for her not seeing why we would want the power of the fz1, she'll change her mind, lol. I started with a Suzuki GS500 and I remember thinking "why the crap would I need anything faster than this, it feels scary fast for being on 2 wheels already?!" About 3 months later I traded it in on an SV650, and I rode the SV for about a year often wishing it had more power. When I decided to buy a new bike I knew I was done fooling myself and decided on the beastly 150hp FZ1 :D I try to tell myself I'm going to keep it mechanically stock, but I know the day will probably come where I'm yearning for even more and do a few power-adders.

Not to be the party pooper. But you bought a new bike because of a flat tire?

No. Upgraded her because she always wanted the new green one and after 2 weeks and putting over 500 miles on her 2005 she earned it.

Although the nail in the tire would have been reason enough for me given the differences between the two bikes.

Glad to hear everything is going so well! (except for the nail) I'd love to hear a comparison between the old and new Ninja 250's, since my wife is on a black '09. (I wanted her to get green, or at least red or blue since they would be easier to see, but she just loved the black)

Thanks for the update. Now we need a pic of the new green Ninja!

Okay, here's my take on it.

The larger forks make for less of a Pogo-Stick like ride on the new bike compared to the old.

Also, adjusting the preload in the rear is nice. The whole bike feels so much stiffer than the last gen. As far as the changes in the engine, I don't feel any, but I'm still breaking it in and cruising around at 4000 rpm on a Ninja 250!

The seat is a lot stiffer. The brakes are a little better but much better looking. Again, still bedding them in.

The riding position is more aggressive without a doubt. The tank actually squishes some of my parts at times, partly due to the slightly forward tilted single seat compared to the one piece bench of the old model.

I like the instrumentation on the new model a little better, but I'd like to have a digital odometer and clock as well. Just changing the temp gauge to a fuel meter is nice, but it should at least have a digital odo if not speedo.

Also, the 17" wheels over the 16" first gens offer a lot more confidence. It's a larger wheel with a much lower profile tire as opposed to the original's small wheels / higher profilers, which I hated. Also, the front tire is a little wider and the whole front end feels so much more planted than the old bike.

All the controls and adjustments are identical. For some reason, this new one makes me want to go back to track days and get a matching 2009 ZX10R so she and I can match like dorks!

Given the price increase from $3,499 in 2008 (1st year of remodel) to $4,299 in 2010, I don't understand the radical $$$ change except that it's currently the #1 selling bike in the world and they can. There still is simply no competition from the major Japanese competitors.

Also, I had the 2005 cruising at 80 mph for 100 miles! I don't see any reason either the first or 2nd gen bike isn't safe for the highway.

Hope this helps with the comparison between the two bikes.

Brian

Also, I had the 2005 cruising at 80 mph for 100 miles! I don't see any reason either the first or 2nd gen bike isn't safe for the highway.

Hope this helps with the comparison between the two bikes.

Brian

That was great. Thanks.

My concern of safty at highway speeds wasn't really about the top speed as much as the lack of acceleration after about 60mph. I feel much safer when I can pull away when needed, or pass quickly. My wife still rides on highways, but I don't feel this bike is the best for interstate travel. I hardly ever took my '86 XT350 on the interstate either and never for more than 10 miles, and it would do about the same top speed with simular acceleration.

I think the top improvement I'd like to see in the little Ninja is fuel injection, then digital speedo, clock, etc. and maybe more adjustments on the suspension, but all this costs money, and it's selling quite well as is. We decided to go with the '09 rather than a '10 due to price differences.

Keep riding and keep safe! (both of you)

My attempt at humor flew over the masses.....just :poke: ya because of your recent purchase for the Gen II after originally inquiring what it would take to have a Gen I with a blacked out frame.....other reasons I'm sure affected your decision, but that is the first thing that came to my mind after you commented on the above.....

LOL. Honestly bro, that was one of the major points that got me lookin at the Gen2's... But in the end, thats what I wanted from the getgo I just didnt think I would get approved so I borrowed money from my dad to get the cheaper gen1 instead of going straight to the dealer for the Gen2.

Oh and to get back on topic, some chick pulled into Tim Hortons the other day on a done up Ninja 250, it sounded good and looked really nice as well. She was pretty :D herself also lol.

What do they get for mileage?

Oh and to get back on topic, some chick pulled into Tim Hortons the other day on a done up Ninja 250, it sounded good and looked really nice as well. She was pretty :D herself also lol.

What do they get for mileage?

The bike or the girl?

The bikes get around 60mpg, give or take a bit for variations in bikes and riding style.

As far as the girl... :confused0024:

Back