Will a Cigarette Lighter Jump Start Work on a Motorcycle?

This is a question I thought I would throw out there and kind of kick this around. I do not know the answer and I can't really think of a way to test it unless I have a dead battery.
Christmas always lets everyone buy gizmos at a cheaper price and to be honest - hauling around a big compressor/battery jumper on a long trip is a pain. So I thought I would ask: Will this work on a motorcycle that has a cigarette lighter?

JumpStart.jpg

Viatek Mighty Jump Car Starter - Tools - Electricians Tools - Test & Measuring Tools

This sure would make traveling a lot easier. Like I said I have no idea if it will work but I am hoping some people smarter than I am will chime in.

Nice!
Thanks guys. I have been carrying around a large (and very heavy) Energizer Battery Charger/Air Compressor on long trips. Hauling something so heavy sucks! This would be a nice addition to the tool kit.

Yes it will. I carry the SAE to ciggy adapter and a 25' extension SAE to SAE. :D I can jump another bike with an SAE or ciggy socket or get a jump from any car's ciggy socket.

Not sure... I have always just push started my bikes with a dead battery.

LOL
But that doesn't always work. :nono:
I remember one especially bad attempt where I ended up pushing the bike a good distance (3 or 4 attempts) and couldn't get it back to a safe place to park it. That was not fun at all. :shame:
On the other hand ~ when it works it's golden.

Yes it will. I carry the SAE to ciggy adapter and a 25' extension SAE to SAE. :D I can jump another bike with an SAE or ciggy socket or get a jump from any car's ciggy socket.

LOL
That is funny - I posted the question on both forums and was just posting the same thing over there.
That is a pretty cool idea because this would be really handy on a group ride (providing both riders had the cig liter).

Easy Quick Jumper: Start the car in 5-10 minutes

easy-quick-jumper.jpg

I dont see any reason why in wouldn't work if wired direct to the battery with sufficient gauge wire and as mentioned an inline fuse would be a good idea.

This is why the Battery Tender lead is a great choice. Heavy gauge wire and the fuse inline. For those who don't need the whole tender, you can buy only the lead very cheap! The two parts I listed can be found in Google or Amazon for a few bucks. Cheap insurance and this doesn't take up much luggage space. Mine fits under the CD Strike seat cowl with the tools, flashlight, tire repair kit, electrical tape, etc. However, a 12' extension would fit better! ;) Also, with the droid light on the phone, I can take out the flash light too.

Here's a link that just popped up in Google with good prices. http://www.autogeek.net/batterytender.html

For just the battery lead? My favorite local NH dealer has a great price of $7.50. http://www.whitehorsegear.com/deltran-battery-tender-quick-disconnect-harness

Last edited:
Keep in mind most times the current required is just enough additional current from the helper battery to get the starter to crank the motor. The more dead the bike battery, the more current will have to pass from the helper battery to the bike battery. I believe most of these helper kits are designed to let the helper battery charge the bike battery for a few minutes. What this does is allow greater current draw from the bike battery as apposed to just jumping from the helper and putting load on the lighter gauge wires and fuse of the ancillary system you may be using.

The most important issue is safety. If you have light gauge wires that have no in line fuse or you have light gauge wires that have a fuse greater than than needed for safe current through the wires, they can get hot very quickly during high current draw of a starter.
In essence, if you were using a lighter socket that's just set up for light duty cell phone GPS powering, I would either beef that up to a higher current duty capability or at least use the SAE connectors types that Cobalt has displayed. :)

When wiring up my 12V socket, I used an old computer power cord for wiring. the socket is mounted to my top 3x clamp and I wanted to be sure that the wire would have plenty of abrasive protection. I also find black 4-wire phone cord great for wiring things like LED binkers and such.

Back