Would you buy one again?

BourbonNcigars

Knowing then what you know now, after having owned one for months or years, would you do it all over again? I'm looking for some reasons not to buy one to help balance out the reasons that I do want to buy one. A little bit about me and what my uses are (Making this into a sort of intro thread):

I'm a 40 year old family man, commute year round by motorcycle, drive at reasonable speeds, but like knowing the power is there if I want to tap into it on the highway (something my current CBR500R does not have)...or the occasional back road stress reliever. I like windshields on bikes (love the naked look, but not practical for me), and the sound of an i4 engine. I would, at times, go on extended trips. Not really worried about gas mileage.

I spent a nice long test ride with an '07 (30K miles) and loved it, so started considering a new '13 model. Why won't I consider another bike?

1) Insurance costs are ridiculous on any of the FZ1's competition. Doesn't matter if I can afford it or not...I simply refuse to pay it based on principal.

2) Small town life and selection is limited (only the big four dealers are local, and I'm buying local for reasons of service, warranty, etc.)...

3) I love the way the FZ1 looks. For lack of a better term it's more "classy" than the other non-supersport liter bikes.

4) Honda, Kawasaki, and Suzuki have nothing I want.

That leaves this one.

So...any reason not to get one now? Especially since the '14 model appears to only have a color change (again) and an FZ1 replacement wouldn't be happening until 2015 at the earliest. Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Buy a new leftover FZ-1 and save $1000s. Yes, I would buy another because the bike is great. Only thing comparable would be a Kawasaki.

Last edited:
What you described as your intended use is the intended use of the Fz1.

The bike is a lot of fun, I've put 18,000 miles on my '09 in the last 9.5 months. I've put in two long distance trips, 1,200 miles and 1,800 miles in. I do mostly commuting and weekend twisty trips. I am still running relatively stock but I did convert to a naked bike after I crashed and didn't want to pay for the fairing replacement. I don't mind the naked, but I am 5 years your junior and like the feel of the open road.

With what you described I would consider a seat upgrade, sport touring tires, and a willingness to smile for extended periods of time.

I would buy a more recent Gen 2 Fz1. Save the money by not buying a new one. You can sometimes find leftovers, like there was a '11 available in 2013 that was going for $7500 when I was looking before.

I have a 2012 I bought new in 2013 and saved about 25% of the new cost.

I am using mine just as you described your useage and I like keeping mine stock. Only mods I put on were a touring windscreen (GIVI), SpeedoDRD to correct the speedo, Shogun frame sliders, PIAA horn and Throttlemeisters. I find the seat and riding position very comfortable (I'm 5'10" and weigh 190).

I have added the GIVI PLXR side racks and V35 cases with inner bags, a Cortech 2.0 Tailbag and Sloped 18L Tankbag. I also have the Cortech sidebags that I no longer use.

Relaxed road fuel mileage is in the 39 to 41 mpg range and in town commuting is 32 to 38 mpg. That works out fine for me which is two hours on the road and stop for gas, ride and repeat.

I would buy another FZ1, but not brand new one. They have barely changed since 2006 and buying used makes it easier to justify the mods that make it a much better motorcycle.

I would buy another FZ1, but not brand new one. They have barely changed since 2006 and buying used makes it easier to justify the mods that make it a much better motorcycle.

Didn't the '06='07 have frame issues? I would do the research to find a the best years. When the ECU's were fixed up as well would be good to know.

I appreciate the responses.

Several of you have brought up buying slightly used as opposed to new, and I'd love to. There's a couple of reasons that's difficult, though.

First, selection. Earlier I eluded to the fact that I'm in a small town...a small town surrounded by other small towns surrounded by fields. According to Cycletrader there's 11 sportbikes for sale within 150 miles from me (none of which are an FZ1). Country folk like Harley's, not sportbikes.

This also makes it difficult to sell one, which I've had zero luck doing. Put those two things together and you get a healthy dose of prison love from a dealer if you want a new bike. The FZ1 I'm considering is about 45 miles away from me in another town. Closest one I can find. That's also where the '07 used one is (with 30K miles on it, but well kept). In fact, I entertained thoughts of buying it since it was in such seemingly good shape. However, they only want $3K more for the new '13 model ($9K).

You can buy one online and have it shipped. I live in Florida and had mine shipped fully assembled from Minnesota. Took about 3 weeks to receive, but cost less than $600 to ship to my door and I saved about $1k over local retail.

You can buy one online and have it shipped. I live in Florida and had mine shipped fully assembled from Minnesota. Took about 3 weeks to receive, but cost less than $600 to ship to my door and I saved about $1k over local retail.

Thanks. But I have to get my bike to the dealer for trade in if I can't sell it. Plus $9k for a new '13 doesn't sound too bad as a starting negotiating point.

You definitely got your bearing right about the Gen1 vs Gen2 :tup:
hmm.. may I ask why?

I wouldn't change my gen 1 for a stock gen2 NO WAY

If I could afford a 2014 bike gen2 would be the last on my list..

I want last gen assisted ABS, traction control, good fueling from factory, decent wind protection also from factory, the brand new bosch stability control that's on the new KTM's ... gen2 has none of those things

just look at this beast KTM 1290 Super Duke R Unveiled

if it only had fairings and a yamaha badge :)

Back