Wrong place, but why not....

BroHay

Stihl Loves Trees
Ok, so I've recently gotten back into the world of trucks, mainly and F-350. Getting to know the vehicle, but there are some things I'm wanting to see if anyone here has any initial knowledge on....

1: any vehicle -- has anyone installed an aftermarket stereo with bluetooth handsfree capability? Still use the handset to dial -- or voice activated? Touch Screen? any info to reference??

2: more truck oriented -- anyone install, or had installed, the wiring harness for the engine block heater??

I will start to check the net and maybe even a superduty forum or two -- but figure I'd start with where everybody knows my name....

Adam

I installed this head unit Bluetooth(R)/DVD/CD/USB Receiver - KW-AVX820 - Introduction in my Nissan 350z. It is touchscreen and I do not use my handset to dial typically, I can dial by voice command on my iphone or by using the phonebook stored on the head unit itself. Honestly, I very rarely make outbound calls while driving anyway. The bluetooth is also great for streaming music from my iphone to the head unit when I don't choose to connect it directly to the USB cable connected to the head unit. This head unit (and the model 830 that replaced it) has a lot of bang for the buck.
As for question #2... I can't help you there, I like sports cars and bikes, I've never been a truck guy and it doesn't get cold enough to need engine block heaters around here.

Last edited:
soooo....after some quick info gathering, I come to find out that the part I need can be had for 17.00. It is just a connection to the already installed block heater and a matter of routing and using the clips/zip ties to secure....

Can someone tell me why Ford wants 400.00 to install......I'm diggin more on the "how to" but I'm always up for saving $383.00.

Last edited:
I'm really beginning to appreciate the manner in which we conduct ourselves here -- pages upon pages of nothing related to the person's original query except for how bad@$$ their truck is or the type of oil they use and that a block heater is not needed....

I'm really beginning to appreciate the manner in which we conduct ourselves here -- pages upon pages of nothing related to the person's original query except for how bad@$$ their truck is or the type of oil they use and that a block heater is not needed....

I know exactly what you mean. I spend more time on this forum than any other because people actually act like adults and help each other out. The 350z forum is overrun by immature unhelpful kids so I don't bother going there any more.

Ok -- all you electronic junkies.....

I'm finding bits and pieces but I'll cut to the chase -- Ford installs a factory backup camera, and in my case, has its display within the rear view mirror.

I'm looking at getting rid of the factory radio so that I can have something for hands free calls. The particular unit that I'm looking at also has DVD and video inputs for display on the screen.

Can one buy/make/pillage/plunder a tap that will pickup the signal and allow one to use an RCA? As I have been able to read on other forums, it is 14/16 ga. wire that feeds the video signal. The input on the back of the head unit uses RCA jacks.

As my understanding grows, I'll get more detailed -- but no sense in wasting what few brain cells I have if others say it is a PITA....

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited:
I have a reverse cam hooked up to the previously mentioned head unit. Installation was simple, I just connected the RCA cable from the cam to the video input on the HU, then connect the reverse wire lead from the HU to the wire in your vehicle that sends a signal to your reverse lights, and tap the power wire from the camera into the reverse light feed as well. This may or may not help you if you are trying to use the factory display, but most all aftermarket cameras hook up this way.

my problems is that I do not know if the factory camera uses RCA or Ford came up with another angle to prevent people from using OEM with aftermarket products. I'm not concerned with keeping the factory display in the rear view mirror -- It is too small to view well and if there is any ambient light, usually gets washed out.

Guess the easiest would be to pull apart the tailgate and see how the initial connection is made.

If the camera has RCA connections -- I should be golden -- it is just a matter of making the connection and routing it to the HU.

Thanks,
Adam

Last edited:
RCAsplice.jpg

could it be as easy as finding the correct wire and making a splice to get an RCA adapter in line to plug into the after market headunit?

I'd grab a few alligator clips and make some "quick connections" that you can hook the HU up to the battery and test everything before doing a hard install....

but... yeah... it looks like a standard RCA plug to me.

I'm just going to keep the existing configuration and mount two backup cameras that are more of a plug and play type application.

I'm going to install one by the license plate and the other by the brake light on top of the cab for hooking up to horse trailer/gooseneck.

I'm then going to tie into the existing upfitter switches so I can flip for a picture in either location. At least it sounds easy in my head, and after talking with a Crutchfield representative, looks like I'll be handling the install myself.

To further knowledge

I'm going to install my first radio -- I have made a short list of possible units and have been looking on Crutchfield because of their pricing. They also have the means to supply harnesses and other goodies that are vehicle specific, like integration of steering wheel controls. That, and significant savings over the local shops and no one is willing to deal, even though they say their pricing is the best deal.....

Does anyone have any do/don'ts to make the install any easier??

I'm going to install my first radio -- I have made a short list of possible units and have been looking on Crutchfield because of their pricing. They also have the means to supply harnesses and other goodies that are vehicle specific, like integration of steering wheel controls. That, and significant savings over the local shops and no one is willing to deal, even though they say their pricing is the best deal.....

Does anyone have any do/don'ts to make the install any easier??

Pioneer all the way baby! Get the right wire harnesses. They make this so easy. Easy to pull out later also. Solder and shrink wrap to the wire harness that comes with the stereo.

Back