Yoshimura is now using stick welder's on their headers

JMEMGC

So have been waiting for my new Yoshi system to arrive from the USA for awhile now and today it came. As you can imagine I got very excited to open the box. Which is when I saw this

Yoshimura_weld.jpg

Now I am by no means a gifted welder BUT for F'Sakes Yoshimura is this really considered Quality control ? I am pretty sure I could have done a neater job with my crappy old stick welder, and do they not have pickle juice handy to clean a weld because 50% of all welds on my headers are still all blacked out. :disapproval:

This particular weld appears after checking internally to be solid and sealed, so is mostly a cosmetic thing but still for a production system costing the better part of a grand this is just not good enough. Yes I have mates that could neatly weld it up should it turn out not be a good weld but I do not think that is the point. To add insult to injury cylinder pipes 2 & 3 are lightly scratched because Yoshi did not secure the gasket pieces. Again the scratches will be able to be fixed with some heavy polish but WTF this system is brand new.

I have sent an email with pics to Yoshi asking for their response and to be fair they have not had sufficent time to respond but I am not really a happy camper right about now. I will update when I hear back from the seller and from Yoshi.

:rant: over for now time for beer :)

That is really too much. I was never a fan of Yoshi because of the build quality, always looked cheap but the performance was excellent. Now, what you got is really off the limit. Maybe a full Leo Vince system would be better, for sure the finish is top notch.

Well problem is I am in Australia which post takes about 20 days each way. Freight costs about $240 aus dollars each way. Yoshi responded telling me I had to pay for it to go back to the vendor. The vendor then has to return it to Yoshi. Yshi will look at it to determine if there is anything wrong then the Vendor has to pay for it to come back to me... My other option is just blast them on any and every forum and show you good people how bad their workmanship really is :innocent:

Going to remove all the packaging and take pictures of every fault I can see and try again with Yoshi....

That's bad. It is always a problem when buying abroad. Anyway the performance will be very good so in case that they are not willing to make it right, you can just enjoy the power.

Yeah buying from OS is not always the best option however NOT ONE dealer here in Australia would help with exactly the combo I wanted. Unless I was willing to go the Carbon can - 4 different agents and even the Australian distributor told me repeatedly that that Titanium/Carbon combo was not available. Even showing them correspendance from Yoshi stating it WAS available would not change their minds.

That being said the dealer I got it from in the US ATV Galaxy has already responded multiple times saying that THEY will reimburse any costs associated which is pretty respectable customer service on their behalf. I may be sending just the headers back for a swap will keep you all updated

That's probably a mig welded... Usually stick isn't used on that thin of metal.

Either way that is a freaking terrible weld and should've never left the facility like that.
Apparently they've never heard of six sigma...

Thanks Sebastian - I was being sarcastic with the stick reference ;) But your right it's shocking, I saw better welding being done on the side of the road in Thailand on a bike tour through the highlands haha. The quality sure isn't to any kind of ISO cert that's for sure.

Sorry for your luck .thats terrible i cant imagine opening the box up and seeing that. Hopefully your merchant will take care of you. Good luck!!

I see crap like that on bike frames all the time, cold mig welds was a kawasaki specialty a few decades ago, not very satisfied with the welds on my gen 1 either.

you say that's titanium? it looks more like stainless in the picture + titanium is mostly tig welded... maybe that's another thing to look into

I see crap like that on bike frames all the time, cold mig welds was a kawasaki specialty a few decades ago, not very satisfied with the welds on my gen 1 either.

you say that's titanium? it looks more like stainless in the picture + titanium is mostly tig welded... maybe that's another thing to look into

Donoham - headers are Stainless. The can is titanium/carbom. Have heard some bad stories bout aftermarket titanium headers blowing so I am happy with Stainless as the weight difference does nothing for me on my bike. But the Titanium/Carbon can looks the goods :)

Ok quick update. Yoshi has contacted me again and is suggesting that they ship another header to ATV Galaxy for them to ship to me on the condition that I send this header to Serco the Aus distributor to scrap. I have to say that this is a solid customer service move by Yoshimura and a move that restores my faith in them and their product support. I think that Yoshi has stepped up and sttod behind their products and once resolved i WILL BE SATISFIED.

Back