16t sprocket's performance?

FYI...Today I put a 47 tooth sprocket on my stock 2006 FZ1. The stock chain wasn't even close to being able to fit even with the wheel pushed full forward. I put the stock sprocket back on and put a 16 tooth on the front. I have no doubt that the stock chain still won't fit if I try the 47T again. I will buy another chain (and chain tool).

Do you think a 130 link chain will be big enough?

Also, while STOCK, I had a -5% error on the Speedo (checked with a GPS). After the 16T was put on, it was about a -10% error. This is pretty much exactly what should happen according to the on-line calculators on the websites that sell the Speedo Healer and SpeedoDrd. Interestingly, after the 16T was put on, I had about the same speed indicated on my bike at 3000 and 3500 RPM as I did stock (47mph @ 3000 rpm and 53mph @ 3500 rpm although as mentioned above, the GPS numbers changed from 5% error to 10% error.

Lastly, my initial subjective feel with the 16T was not really noticeable from stock. I hope after driving it a bit more, I will notice it out in town. I also hope to notice the difference when going to the 47T in back. Sorry for being lengthy here but again my real only question now is will 130 links be a long enough chain? THank you!

I poked around the web and found that the 16/47 combo works with the stock chain as I originally suggested.

I'm not sure how you tried to put the chain back on once you had the 47T sprocket on there, but you may have to put it on w/o the axle in place so that the wheel can move forward enough. Then once the chain is in place just raise the wheel and bring it back so you can slide the axle through. Might be a good idea to have a second person help you during this step.

Yeah, what's the verdict? I also want to do the 16/47 combo, but was hoping to just reuse my stock chain.

I'm planning on using an OEM 2005 16t front sprocket... anyone have any recommendations for a 47t steel rear sprocket?

See my response above about the stock chain length and the 16/47 combo. Also this is just a suggestion, but since you have stock gearing now why don't you just go for a 16/46 combo instead. Anyway if your heart is really set on a 47T rear sprocket then here's a good deal:

JT Rear Steel Sprocket 47T Yamaha FZ-1 06-09: eBay Motors (item 330451325412 end time Sep-11-10 15:24:36 PDT)

Just stay away from an aluminum one (seems like you already know this) as it wont last very long for street riding. Any of the well known brands will be fine in a steel sprocket and it just really comes down to price.

I poked around the web and found that the 16/47 combo works with the stock chain as I originally suggested.

I'm not sure how you tried to put the chain back on once you had the 47T sprocket on there, but you may have to put it on w/o the axle in place so that the wheel can move forward enough. Then once the chain is in place just raise the wheel and bring it back so you can slide the axle through. Might be a good idea to have a second person help you during this step.

Thanks NJ...I will try that and hopefully sliding the wheel forward without the axle will work. I have already bought the 47T. It is a Supersprox - black on the outside and gold on the inside which matches the gold forks perfectly and looks awesome on my Red FZ1. I'll try it and let you all know.

Thanks NJ...I will try that and hopefully sliding the wheel forward without the axle will work. I have already bought the 47T. It is a Supersprox - black on the outside and gold on the inside which matches the gold forks perfectly and looks awesome on my Red FZ1. I'll try it and let you all know.

Yea, keep us posted and yes that Supersprox does look great :D I have one on my bike as well, but it's the stock 45T.

Success! The idea to move the wheel forward without the axle in place did the trick. Looks awesome. Thanks so much!

Great! I knew the 16/47 combo would be pushing it with the stock chain, but once I saw that it worked for others I figured that was the way they had done it. Post up some pics of that set up and give us your impression of that 16/47 combo. How easy does it wheelie now :D

Heres a good question. My buddy has an 08 R6 and he just changed his 16t to a 15t. I was wondering since I have an 09 with a 17t, would his 16t fit on mine??

Just got my 16T installed today. Not a life changing event but definitely more pep. I will ride with it for a while before I decide if I wil get a speedo healer or not.

Just got my 16T installed today. Not a life changing event but definitely more pep. I will ride with it for a while before I decide if I wil get a speedo healer or not.

Well I was a little diappointed myself with this mod in the sense that I was expecting more. I guess on a stock bike it makes more of a difference. However, the one thing I don't like are the higher revs on the highway and given that I do plenty of highway riding I might throw the 17T in there again. As for the correcting the speed, remember that if you don't your odometer will also be off and you'll be racking up the miles faster.

I got what I expected from the mod, I'm pleased with it! The bike should have came geared this way original. As for mph, it changed the speedometer by not even 2 mph. I don't care about a mere 5-6% change in mileage either. Not worth it to me to speedo heal, and I like the gains a lot! I also spend alot of time at 70mph and above, and didn't notice that much higher a rev. Just my own personal opinion though.

I´m a little confused about the speedometer error on the FZ1. Yesterday i compared many times with an Hayabusa K8 the difference and my FZ1 counts less than the Busa. For exemple when the busa was at 180kph i was at 171kph, busa at 240kph i was at 225kph. I believed that the error was counting more and not less. So with 16t counts even less??? But wouldn´t make more milleage:confused:

I´m a little confused about the speedometer error on the FZ1. Yesterday i compared many times with an Hayabusa K8 the difference and my FZ1 counts less than the Busa. For exemple when the busa was at 180kph i was at 171kph, busa at 240kph i was at 225kph. I believed that the error was counting more and not less. So with 16t counts even less??? But wouldn´t make more milleage:confused:

Wow if your FZ1 has stock gearing then that Busa is way off from the factory unless his gearing is not stock. Putting on the 16T sprocket will reduce the margin of error between your bike and the Busa, but your mileage will add up faster. In other words when you have traveled 1 actual kilometer then your odometer will display more than 1 kilometer (e.g. 1.1 km).

Wow if your FZ1 has stock gearing then that Busa is way off from the factory unless his gearing is not stock. Putting on the 16T sprocket will reduce the margin of error between your bike and the Busa, but your mileage will add up faster. In other words when you have traveled 1 actual kilometer then your odometer will display more than 1 kilometer (e.g. 1.1 km).

They are both stock gearing. So tell me this to see if I understand, i read here that the stock error is -5%, so if the display shows 160kph i´m really going at 152kph? And with 16t sprocket the error is -10% so again if displays shows 160kph i´m really going at 144kph? So if this right with 16t it counts even less the milleage should be smaller rather than higher. :confused0024:

They are both stock gearing. So tell me this to see if I understand, i read here that the stock error is -5%, so if the display shows 160kph i´m really going at 152kph? And with 16t sprocket the error is -10% so again if displays shows 160kph i´m really going at 144kph? So if this right with 16t it counts even less the milleage should be smaller rather than higher. :confused0024:

It's because with the smaller front sprocket you'll be turning more RPM's to go the same speed as a 17T. Thats why you'll register more mileage.

question on going the other way to 18t

Have anyone of you tried going to an 18t front to lessen the rpms at highway speed. would this not also bring the ratio in 6th gear to a true overdrive at less than 1 to 1. would love to know if anyone has tried this. will an 18t even fit?

I have not heard of any one putting an 18t on the gen 2. From a performance standpoint it's not practical. The gen 2 doesn't exactly have great mid range power to begin with. Throw an 18 t on there and 6th gear becomes almost unusable. All passes would have to be done with a down shift. As far as fitting, I don't think the 18t will clear the front chain guide/case protector but I'm not sure. You can always go down three teeth in the rear and get the same results. Prob need to shorten the chain though.

Instead of an 18 front, just do less teeth in the rear sprocket. Typically 3 teeth difference in rear is equivalent to one tooth up front

If your wanting an 18 up front to lessen rpm in hopes of better mpg, I would test first. Typically lower rpm=better mpg but on my r6 at 70mph I got better mpg in 5th than 6th, craziest thing and yes I hand calculated and tested multiple times as it was wierd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back