16t vs 17t

See, now I'm gonna have a hard time waiting till I need new sprockets and chain. I have my original 17T, with very few miles on it. I'm easy on my chain and sprockets, I do a lot of highway commuting. Might just order a new washer and change it anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

-7.1% was DEAD NUTS ACCURATE!

I love this btw. Doing 75 at 5K is so nice. 6K is now like 86mph or so. Much better on the highway. And around town I am just down a gear. If I used to be in 5th on that road I am now in 4th and thats it.

Takeoff is not much different. Not enough of a difference to justify eating more gas and turning more RPM's using the 16T.

Good to see that you are happy with the bike's gearing stock PapaG, if highway cruising makes up the majority of your riding, then it makes sense.

For my type of riding (mainly twisties), I love my 16T front sprocket and +2 rear sprocket, highway cruising be damned :)

Yup, did about 200 miles today. LOVE THIS GEAR!!!! I am SO DUMB for going to the 16t. However, you live and learn right?

I would NOT want an 18t on there though. I really like how it is with the 17t. Drop it down a gear and hammer it and its the same as the 16t. You really do screw yourself over on the highway with the 16. I love being at 75mph at 5k. So nice!

Not sure what I want! Do an occasional (lots in summer) 55k each way commute 17t way better. On weekends its the twisties 16t great, loft the front in 1st and 2nd with just throttle. Damn what do I want? Another bike for the commute. No too expensive. A slave to change sprockets would solve it!

Did you reset the SpeedoDRD to NUL and test the surging? Is it still surging?

Here is the post from the surging thread I had. Didn't want to get them all confused and double post it.

So after about 200 miles today, and changing the SpeedoDRD I have come out with something that works.

First off, the bike was surging due to the Speedo DRD. At -7.1% it was a shit show. So I then backed it off to nothing, and it was fine. Then ran it at -6.8% and it was a shit show. So I then tried -4.9% and it was fine. Moved it to -5.5% and there was no surging but almost felt like it kinda wanted too, so now its at -5.2% and its solid. Also, it is either dead on or 1mph fast so that is fine with me. I can deal with it perfectly fine with where it is now. I am just happy it was something dumb and not some BS that other people go through with the surging on these beasts.

In about 20 miles I will hit 13K. Woot! 530 mile trip planned for this weekend so that works!

-7.1% was DEAD NUTS ACCURATE!

I love this btw. Doing 75 at 5K is so nice. 6K is now like 86mph or so. Much better on the highway. And around town I am just down a gear. If I used to be in 5th on that road I am now in 4th and thats it.

Takeoff is not much different. Not enough of a difference to justify eating more gas and turning more RPM's using the 16T.

told ya... lower gearing makes a difference in acceleration only off the line. Unless few bikes that are geared too high and can't hit top speed in 6th ... this bike doesn't hit it but is close enough to not need lower gearing. Last thing a sport touring bike wants is a short tank range...

Last edited:
OK, Looking at doing the 16 before Speedohealer add on. So my question's are. Do I have to get a new locking nut ? Use an impact gun to get it off ? and is there a best or OK or don't matter what brand of sprocket to get just as it's steel. I'd like to go with OEM flavor, thanks :sport12:

Back