2011 Honda CB1000R Coming to America

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
Americans no longer have to pine over one less European-only model as Honda announces it will introduce the CB1000R naked as a 2011 model.

More...

They are very nice bikes in the flesh, especially the Red one.
Much nicer than a bloody Kawasaki but not as nice as my FZ1N ;)

I like it more then the FZ1 but it doesnt look as passenger friendly. Same thing with the Z1000, which is why im still diggin the FZ.

That banana-shaped exhaust looks absolutely horrendous.
Take that!
0d3259fdfa50e1e977be5bf2dab369a6.jpg

This bike is nice. Wish Yamaha would have put radial brakes on the gen2.

... Wish Yamaha would have put radial brakes on the gen2.

Why? I know they look "cool", but for the vast majority of the riding that you'll do with the FZ1 the standard brakes are more than adequate. If you're not happy with them then maybe try a different pad compound such as the EBC HH.

Why? I know they look "cool", but for the vast majority of the riding that you'll do with the FZ1 the standard brakes are more than adequate. If you're not happy with them then maybe try a different pad compound such as the EBC HH.
I’m just saying I think Yamaha dropped the ball. What’s wrong with wanting better braking power/feel? I have steel lines front and back on my Gen1 and I use DP Sport HH+ pads. My brakes are fine and I’m an old roadracer from the 80s and I know my brakes are now better then what I raced with. Yamaha could have made our beloved FZ1 (standard sportbike) with the brakes and suspension like the late model R1. I guess I’m just picky that way. :)

I’m just saying I think Yamaha dropped the ball. What’s wrong with wanting better braking power/feel? I have steel lines front and back on my Gen1 and I use DP Sport HH+ pads. My brakes are fine and I’m an old roadracer from the 80s and I know my brakes are now better then what I raced with. Yamaha could have made our beloved FZ1 (standard sportbike) with the brakes and suspension like the late model R1. I guess I’m just picky that way. :)

Well yea, I suppose having the R1 brakes and suspension would have been nice, but I'm sure it was all Dione in the name of cost cutting. As you know there is a considerable price difference between the R1 and the FZ1 so the savings had to come from somewhere. Maybe the Gen III FZ1 will finally have the radial brakes ;)

Exactly, it's all about cost. Bikes like the FZ1 usually are made from parts bins from previous generation bikes which really brings the price of the bike down.

Considering the bike I got & the price I paid, I'd say it was worth it to have 'yesterday's technology'.

IMHO --- The bike will bomb. No different than the 919, Z1000 or any other bike that tries to follow the street fighter concept --- the owners get tired of the "no wind protection". It has a lot of cool stuff on it but the USA market has never accepted this type of bike.

The FZ1 is WAY better for more types of fun.

Edit: BTW --- the brakes on the FZ1 were the rage when it first came out --- one of the big selling points. I would be the first to admit --- under hard braking they will get hot but this has really helped me to tide smoother and stay off the damn things.

Last edited:
Well yea, I suppose having the R1 brakes and suspension would have been nice, but I'm sure it was all Dione in the name of cost cutting. As you know there is a considerable price difference between the R1 and the FZ1 so the savings had to come from somewhere. Maybe the Gen III FZ1 will finally have the radial brakes ;)
I hear it will be in 2012. Also it will have the current motor with crossplane crankshaft.

It's true, I've never understood that! Mind you, cruisers are often naked and we all know how popular Harleys and the like are.

Interesting

A lot of cruiser guys, including Harleys) ride there bike to be cool. Like to a bar or a poker run. Somewhere where the speeds are normally less than 60MPH.

A guy that buys any kind of sport bike wants to kick it up some and feel the thrill. Above 100mph bikes are miserable without wind protection.

What I love most about the FZ1 is --- I have a friend with a track GSXR750. On the front straight at Roebling Rd., we are running about 165mph and at the point where he would take off and leave me --- we are at the end of the straight. I'm behind my little shield as comfortable as at home on my couch.
The FZ1 really has it all. IMHO.

Here's the best description I've found regarding radial brakes:

Radial calipers / radial brakes.
Around the year 2003, motorbikes started to hit the showrooms with a new feature - radial brakes. The magazines and testers will all tell you that radial brakes make the bike stop quicker. Not true - they have nothing to do with stopping power and everything to do with the design of the front forks of the bike. More and more bikes are coming out with upside-down forks. ie. instead of the fat canister part of the fork being at the bottom of the assembly, it's at the top. This means that the fork pistons are now the part of the suspension with the wheel attached to them. It also means that it's impossible to put a stiffening fork brace down there now because the brace would need to move with the wheel, and the length of the fork pistons precludes that.
The stiffness of the front end is now entirely dependent on the size of the front axle. Bigger axle = stiffer front end. A side-effect of this design was that traditionally-mounted brake calipers could cause a lot of vibration in the steering because of flex between the wheel (with the brake disc bolted to it), and the fork leg (with the caliper). The slight tolerance allowed by floating brake rotors couldn't compensate for the amount of flexing in the forks. To reduce the brake-induced fork vibration, the brake calipers were moved around the rotors slightly so that they fell into the front-rear alignment of the wheel axle. This is because there is less lateral flex at that point, which means less or no vibration. The caliper mounts were changed too. Traditional calipers bolt on to the forks with bolts going through them at 90 degrees to the face of the brake rotor. With radial calipers, the bolts are aligned parallel to the brake rotor - effectively also in the front-rear alignment of the wheel. This design is a trickle-down technology from superbike racing where a radial caliper mount allows the racing teams to use different diameters of brake rotor by simply adding spacers to the caliper mounts

That makes a lot of sense. The 01 R1 was considered to have awesome brakes and these were transferred to the FZ1. Personally, I have SS lines and the brakes have never been an issue for me -- BUT -- I've been told that in the advanced level of riding it is a must to master the art of braking, pulling a bike down at the absolute last minute before corner entry to gain a lead on the next rider. This is what they talk about when they mention late braking at the track.

I am not pushing my bike that hard at the track and I'm not sure that I want to on a FZ1. So, I can be confident in telling you that you can get a great track time with our breaks with stock pads. The sintered don't work for me because I'm not use to dragging my front brake -- at all -- and this is necessary to keep them hot enough to work. I mainly use gear selection and engine braking to get around with little actual braking.

Back