2011 Suzuki GSX1250FA Review

I completely understand that, but with such a large motor they should be able to get a lot more power while having a good linear transition and that stump pulling torque. I would have expected at least 130 horse.

I was surprised too but I realized that if the motor feels anything like the ST1300 lump does, you won't even care about peak horsepower numbers after a few hours on the road--that motor is sublime and effortless.

Saw one at a dealer couple weeks ago, its a good looking machine. It was sitting next to a Ninja 1000 the Kawa was for sure a hotter looking bike. Sales dude said he's ridin both and liked the Ninja best.

I completely understand that, but with such a large motor they should be able to get a lot more power while having a good linear transition and that stump pulling torque. I would have expected at least 130 horse.

Oh this is such a sweet motor. I know the peak seems low, but the torque and the way is makes power is amazing. The cool thing is that with a few OEM GSXR parts it will make much more power.

The Bandit is a great all around bike.

Heck, I even like the B-King (Thing). With a set of Akrapovic Carbon pipes it looks semi-good.

My favorite line:

"Competitive models such as the new Kawasaki Ninja 1000 and Yamaha FZ1 are lighter and better handling, but without these bikes playing devil’s advocate, a GSX1250FA operator will be riding in ignorant bliss of the bike’s weight problem."

I have seen this bike at two dealerships. At each one there was a sales guy that said he rode it and "wasn't impressed." I asked them both which they'd rather have: FZ1 or the basically rebadged Bandit. No contest, the FZ1. One of my riding buddies test rode the bike as well and right after that I let him try my FZ1. He had the biggest #$% eating grin after the FZ1 and forgot all about the Bandit. Not bashing the bike but just like the article said, had you never known the FZ1 or Ninja 1000, the Bandit (GSXR1250) would be fine. But since we obviously do know the FZ1 it sounds like the bike would be a let down. Like Papa I'm disappointed by the specs given its displacement and it sounds like the suspension and frame or no big deal either.

they can call GSX...whatever. it is still a Bandit. don't get me wrong i rode a Bandit 1200N for 10 years and the low end torque is amazing. i love the simplicity of the old air cooled gsx1100 motor, although this is several years beyond that technology.

in the UK they (Suzk) has a nice looking 1250 nekked and that is an eye catcher! and for the life of me i do not understand why you can not get it in the states.
Suzuki GB Motorcycles/ATVs : Product intro

this... thing they're pushing in the US is wrapped in too much plastic for my liking :(

they can call GSX...whatever. it is still a Bandit. don't get me wrong i rode a Bandit 1200N for 10 years and the low end torque is amazing. i love the simplicity of the old air cooled gsx1100 motor, although this is several years beyond that technology.

in the UK they (Suzk) has a nice looking 1250 nekked and that is an eye catcher! and for the life of me i do not understand why you can not get it in the states.
Suzuki GB Motorcycles/ATVs : Product intro

this... thing they're pushing in the US is wrapped in too much plastic for my liking :(

You're right. That's a better looking bike.

So how would you compare your Bandit to your FZ1?

1200+ cc's and only 98 HP.. What is wrong with them?

FYI...The Bandits low HP # is from the factory clogging up the intake and exhaust systems. They are one of the easiest engine to get HP from with minimal work or money. (thats why the old 1100/1200 motors were always used for drag bikes/kit cars/quad conversions. I did my research when I was in the market for a naked.

From Dale Walkers Holeshot site:

"Is re-jetting necessary when I add the slip-on?
It is not mandatory and the Vortex will add 12 to 14 hp and 10 ft- lbs. on the 1998-2000 B-12 and 5-7 hp on the 2001+ B-12. Just bolting it on. To make it less cold blooded, really smooth it out and to get even more power and torque I highly recommend one of my jetting kits. The B-6 will pick up 5 to 7 hp in the mid range and about 3 on top for a much more enjoyable ride

Even one of the cycle mag test I read said just putting a slip-on got them 15 more horses to the wheel.

Before I bought my FZ1 I also was looking at the Bandit, Z1000, ZRX, speed triple and 919...rode them all except the 2 Kawi's.
The bandit had a bunch of torque...yes but felt too soft.
Didn't like the up right riding position of the triple, and after 100mph felt like I was in a MMA fight getting beat up by the wind.
Had the pleasure of riding the 919 on the dragon and it was sweet... handles way better than my FZ with tons of midrange, but nothing up top and just looked like plain jane.
Rode the FZ and that was it.....the kick at 7k was similar to my Max's v-boost at 6k....and I was sold.

Sometimes still kicking myself for not giving the ZRX a chance though.

I road the Suzuki in LA Easter Weekend. Yawn! It was buzzy on the 405 Fwy, and although it had nice low end torque, it felt heavy, and flicking it around some curves near Malibu...well it was fine but noticably less responsieve then my 2009 FZ1. I was surprised at how buzzy it was over our FZ1's. Looking at it parked, I found it to be ugly....just like it's Bandit pedigry.

I road the Suzuki in LA Easter Weekend. Yawn! It was buzzy on the 405 Fwy, and although it had nice low end torque, it felt heavy, and flicking it around some curves near Malibu...well it was fine but noticably less responsieve then my 2009 FZ1. I was surprised at how buzzy it was over our FZ1's. Looking at it parked, I found it to be ugly....just like it's Bandit pedigry.

Thanks, and don't forget it's a Suzuki- not near the fit and finish of a Yamaha!

Back