2016 MotoGP Discussion Thread *SPOILERS*

It's up to the rider behind not to hit the rider in front is it not? If you run up someone's arse on the road, who's fault is it?

I agree with you but I think it's not fair to compare our street riding to what they're doing. Someone like Lorenzo will hit the same braking marker and run the same line lap after lap like nobody else. He was obviously having problems and losing almost a second a lap at that point and although I think that a more experienced rider wouldn't have hit him, I imagine Iannone didn't expect Lorenzo to be that slowly and was completely caught off guard.

The punishment was deserved but any more than that may have been excessive.

But that also applies to racing. The rider behind is at fault if he hits a slower rider
I'm happy with the punishment that was handed out.

Sent from my HTC_X9u using Tapatalk

Iannone definitely needs to cool it a bit. Maybe he should learn from Maverick Vinales who is 5 years younger than him and already so composed and disciplined.

It's up to the rider behind not to hit the rider in front is it not? If you run up someone's arse on the road, who's fault is it?

Just to play the devils advocate, none of us were on the bikes feeling the speed in that corner lap after lap. It is possible with the pace of lorenzo slowing each lap that he was going much slower in that turn than before. Of Course data from the bikes computers would be needed to back that up showing corner entry and exit speed each lap and then comparing it to the incident.

I guess I am just saying don't be an armchair QB and give a ruling without actually knowing the facts. From the Ianonne On-Board it looks almost like Lorenzo is going wide and then cuts over at the last second. But that could also be due to Ianonne picking a bad line that lap... or was that the line he used every lap? I can't honestly say, that is why I want more info.

I do not disagree with the ruling, obviously he needs to be more careful... But he did not do it on purpose, All these guys want to win, none of them want to crash.

I think people would of been less critical of the last time this happened if he had bumped into a bike from a different team trying to make a pass in the second to last turn...... But because it was a team mate they considered it wreckless. Look at the crazy close passing Marquez and Lorenzo did on the last laps in Mugello... That could easy of ended up the same way.

These bikes are traveling so fast, faster than we as spectators can really fathom, so when incidents like this happen, they happen in miliseconds. During the live race I literally turned my head for one second to look at my son when the crash happened. It was not like anyone really saw it coming.

Last edited:
Regardless of who you think was at fault, the facts of the matter are that Iannone hit a rider in front of him and took the possible World Champion out at the same time. There was always going to be a penalty imposed because he's done similar before.(to his own team mate) Iannone just needed to go outside and nothing would have happened.

Last edited:
Click here or read below: MotoGP: MotoGP boss Webb explains Iannone/Lorenzo incident | MCN

With both Jorge Lorenzo and Andrea Iannone arguing over their own versions of the incident that saw the Italian spear the world championship leader out of last weekend’s race at Catalunya, MCN sat down with the man in charge, race director Mike Webb, to get his factual account of exactly what happened when the two came together. “When I first spoke with Iannone the first thing he said was that his data showed that he braked at the normal place and that Jorge was very slow and he couldn’t avoid him – so I looked at data from both bikes. “Actually, what it showed was that they both braked at their normal braking points. We looked at all the laps, and they both braked in a normal manner.

Iannone is telling the truth, but Jorge also did nothing unusual. Quite obviously, he was having a problem with front feel – but he was doing it all race! * “Iannone made a mistake in that he arrived faster than he thought he would to Jorge – but it’s his responsibility to avoid the guy in front, hence the penalty.”

And, while Lorenzo might have been left criticising race direction for what he deemed to be an inadequate penalty for Iannone, Webb says that the punishment awarded was standard procedure. “Jorge put his point to me and I understand what he said, but the Stewards Panel believes we made the right decision. Iannone was given a smaller grid penalty for his crash in Argentina, because it was irresponsible riding.

“Our stated procedure this year is that repeat offences will always attract a higher penalty. He admitted he made a mistake – the same excuse, the same error, so I’m sorry but the penalty is higher – and we believe that back of the grid is sufficiently high to deter him in the future.

“Jorge believes it’s not serious enough, Andrea believes it’s vastly too severe, and we’ve landed somewhere in the middle. We’re trying to strike a balance, taking into account history, severity and intention.”

Assen race weekend!

FP1 and FP2 are in the books with Iannone fastest in both sessions. I guess he's extra motivated having to start from the back of the grid on Sunday.

On contract news, Alex Rins has signed for Suzuki as Iannone's teammate. This leaves Zarco without a ride so far but all signs point to him on a Tech 3. Aleix Espargaro was scheduled to make some sort of announcement at the press conference but his flight was delayed in France and he didn't make it in time. Sounds like he'll sign for Aprilia and both Bradl and Bautista will be without a ride.

Qualifying should be interesting with very mixed weather conditions in the forecast. Sunday is looking like a wet one for the race!

Some awesome photos from Friday practice:
Assen MotoGP Photos -- Friday by Tony Goldsmith

That was intense from the first minute to the last. Super happy for Jack Miller for the win and to Redding for the podium. He was understandably emotional and that resonated with me.

Hopefully it will be a turning point in his career. He's been a bit of a crasher up to this point but has slowly been improving.

Sounds like he'll sign for Aprilia and both Bradl and Bautista will be without a ride.

Yep, he's with Aprilia and Bautista is rumoured to have signed with a satellite Ducati.

Hopefully it will be a turning point in his career. He's been a bit of a crasher up to this point but has slowly been improving.

You can make a fast rider crash less, but you can't make a slow rider fast. I see similarities between Jack and Stoner in that regard.

What a fantastic race. I wonder if Jack has sobered up yet - 3 weeks to celebrate!

It would be a shame to see Bradl go but I think he'd do well in WSBK. Laverty said he was considering moving to WSBK if he didn't get a contract on a GP16. I would hate to see him go as he's one of my favourite riders at the moment.

I guess I'd be much more likely to watch if Hayden and Laverty were both racing there next year.

With Folger coming to Tech 3 next year, Sandra will have a fellow Bavarian to cheer for -- he's from the town her dentist is!

Last edited:
Back