30 amp 6-30R installation @ the Busted Knuckle Garage

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
The garage was in need of MORE POWER! Well, sort of anyway. I needed a 240v 30amp outlet to run a heater, welder, etc... So, off to HD to grab some stuff. $25.87 later, I'm headed home with a small bag of goodies and ready to install.

Here is my target spot. I wasn't going to wander far from the 100 amp entry to the garage. Keep it simple!

attachment.php

Because of the openers installed here and the complex cut of the sheetrock, I decided to split the sheet at the panel and lights and take out the lower section.

attachment.php

Here you can see the insulation pulled back.

attachment.php

And here, the hole drilled for the conduit to run through.

attachment.php

Here is the outlet box installed with the conduit in place. Conduit is needed for the THHN rated 10 gauge wire as it doesn't come in a jacketed version.

attachment.php

More install....

Wiring a 30 amp dual pole breaker for a NEMA 6-30R outlet is simple. You have two HOT wires and one GROUND. There isn't a neutral wire.

Here is the outlet wired with the two HOT, black and red along with the green GROUND wire.

attachment.php

Here is a shot in the panel. You can see the black and red attached to the 30 amp breaker on the left and the 10 gauge green GROUND attached to the grounding block on the right. It is IMPORTANT that all these connections are very tight and secure! Overheating from a loose connection can ignite surrounding flammable materials!

attachment.php

Here is the whole thing all buttoned up. (No, I've not mudded and taped any of the garage as of this date. ;) )

attachment.php

Here's a shot of the rear of the heater that I bought. 19k BTU running at 240v.

attachment.php

And, the front of the heater while it is running and throwing some fairly HOT air at me!

attachment.php

1/2" if they have it in the fireproof, yes.

Bronx to here is just over 4 hrs if you take CT 15 to and get to I84 in Hartford. :D

I actually come down that way once in a great while for work. We have offices in Stamford, White Plains, Mt Vernon, Hartford, CT, and SoHo, NY.

1/2" if they have it in the fireproof, yes.

Bronx to here is just over 4 hrs if you take CT 15 to and get to I84 in Hartford. :D

I actually come down that way once in a great while for work. We have offices in Stamford, White Plains, Mt Vernon, Hartford, CT, and SoHo, NY.

Well, in all seriousness, I would be happy to come up on the last weekend of the month and help you if you'd like. It would be a nice trip for me and Richie being that we've never been to New Hampshire. Being that I work on Saturday, I would come up early Sunday (31st), and leave that afternoon/evening. If I left here at 6:00am I would be up by 11:00am. Get it done by 3:00pm, grab a bite to eat and then head back down. If thats good for you, let me know. I'll bring my camera and screwgun!

Well, in all seriousness, I would be happy to come up on the last weekend of the month and help you if you'd like. It would be a nice trip for me and Richie being that we've never been to New Hampshire. Being that I work on Saturday, I would come up early Sunday (31st), and leave that afternoon/evening. If I left here at 6:00am I would be up by 11:00am. Get it done by 3:00pm, grab a bite to eat and then head back down. If thats good for you, let me know. I'll bring my camera and screwgun!

I'll have to talk to the wife/accountant and see if I can get all the stuff here in short order! You sure you cannot come for an overnight? We can put you two up in the living room, one on the couch and the other on a mattress that we put on the futon for company. :D

I'll have to talk to the wife/accountant and see if I can get all the stuff here in short order! You sure you cannot come for an overnight? We can put you two up in the living room, one on the couch and the other on a mattress that we put on the futon for company. :D

If you need more time in order to get the materials, thats fine too. I'm no socialite by any means so most weekends are free for me. Unfortunately with the dog here and nobody to care for him, I wouldn't be able to stay overnight. I still have to make arrangements for Sept. with my brother to care for him. I don't see a problem with a one day trip. Even if I had to catch a couple of Z's before I left to go home would be just fine. If you aren't ready just this minute, just let me know what weekend is good for you. I have no problem lending a helping hand. I like that kind of stuff.

Back