Adjustable Windscreen(s)

3B43

After this weekends 1000 mile ride, I've got some mods I'd like to make to the windscreen and am wondering if any of you have already done/tried it. First, I've got the TALL Cee Baileys windscreen. While large, it does a decent job of protection when its cool/cold/foggy. Problem is, when it gets hot, I'd like to have some air hitting me in the chest for semi-cooling. I'm thinking of making a sliding windscreen, that would allow me to raise it for cold/drizzle/foogy/etc weather and then lower it when its 90+.

Day 1's ride was up the coast, w/the temp starting at 51 and fog. Day 2/3 inland got to 90+ and wearing leather, it got slightly warm.

Any thoughts?

It would be nice to be able to adapt the Kawa C14 setup to the FZ1... that, with the tall screen, is awesome and does exactly what you are looking for. I'd have reservations about cutting a new Cee Bailey and modding it though. Is there anything you can try with the stock screen instead? a ton cheaper to replace if it does not work out!

After this weekends 1000 mile ride, I've got some mods I'd like to make to the windscreen and am wondering if any of you have already done/tried it. Any thoughts?

I am using a home brew laminar flow adjustable screen that works very well for me during these hot summer days. It is actually two screens with the outer one being adjustable. I found that the angle is more important then the height.

My plan was this: have Cee Bailey trim my screen down to the dimensions I want, then take a smaller screen and attach it to the CB, w/small holes that would allow me to move the secondary screen up/down. I've played w/it using tape and the 'idea' is sound and quite frankly, doesn't look that bad (really!). From a distance, you'd be hard pressed to notice the 2 screens. Still in the 'idea' stage, but I really want to get something together before my 4000 mile trip later this year.

MRA makes the Vario Touring Windscreen. The adjustable spoiler's maximum adjustment moves the wind stream up 3-4 inches. That wasn't enough for me as the windscreen itself is about as tall as OEM. However MRA sells the spoiler only which may be attached to any brand wind screen. Drilling required model, but clamp-on models also available. Available at TwistedThrottle.com : ...by Brand - MRA Motorcycle Windshields -
MRAVarioTouring.jpg
MRA VarioTouring Windscreen.

My plan is to remove the spoiler from my MRA windscreen and attach it to my Puig Touring Windscreen. The Puig is about 3 inches taller than MRA base windscreen. The spoiler has about 7 settings from no effect to raising the air-flow up 3-4 inches.

Last edited:
From what your saying, the Vario could be put on my ZG touring screen and be as effective as my large C Bailey screen, yet when the temp gets HOT, I could adjust it to get some airflow on me. Guess I'll have to order one. Appreciate the input.

Now, if we could hear from Hellgate regarding his ECU reflash . . . .

After this weekends 1000 mile ride, I've got some mods I'd like to make to the windscreen and am wondering if any of you have already done/tried it. First, I've got the TALL Cee Baileys windscreen. While large, it does a decent job of protection when its cool/cold/foggy. Problem is, when it gets hot, I'd like to have some air hitting me in the chest for semi-cooling. I'm thinking of making a sliding windscreen, that would allow me to raise it for cold/drizzle/foogy/etc weather and then lower it when its 90+.

Day 1's ride was up the coast, w/the temp starting at 51 and fog. Day 2/3 inland got to 90+ and wearing leather, it got slightly warm.

Any thoughts?
I,ve increased the size of my screen, but I will be making the top piece which is permanent at the moment into a slideable in the near future. Ive used the rifle 32 inch screen (and added extra supports that i will post in the near future), and which comes with a separate air flow mounting at the bottom which lets a nice breeze to pass under the shield. There is no buffeting with this shield and I can cruise at 95 mph all day. Also my pillion cant feel no wind either just a breeze and you dont get flys in your teeth.

I,ve increased the size of my screen, but I will be making the top piece which is permanent at the moment into a slideable in the near future. Ive used the rifle 32 inch screen (and added extra supports that i will post in the near future), and which comes with a separate air flow mounting at the bottom which lets a nice breeze to pass under the shield. There is no buffeting with this shield and I can cruise at 95 mph all day. Also my pillion cant feel no wind either just a breeze and you dont get flys in your teeth.

Not to offend you in any way.. and it's very cool that you completely got rid of the wind, but DAMN!!! That crosses my threshold of "function over form" by about 17 miles :p

I have one of the Rifle screens. It came with my bike from the previous owner. While I can attest it works pretty well for keeping the wind off the rider (mid chin, chest and even somewhat on the hands), it is ugly IMO, and I don't use it much for that reason. :noworries:

I bought the rifle screen which reduced the wind hitting me in the chest - nice for long rides. What I didn't expect was the improvement I got putting the laminar lip on in addition. the laminar lip had a dramatic effect of smoothing out the air. It eliminated a lot of buffeting that came from just the windscreen.

That being said, in that configuration, I feel like there was more air coming around the SIDES into my neck area, which in the hot days would probably be really nice! On the cold days of my recent long ride, I was glad to have my balaclava!

Part way through the trip, I took the laminar lip off and wind noise increased as well as buffetinf side-to-side of my helmet. With it on, there was just no reason to crouch behind the screen.

for now though - everyday riding, I'm putting the DB back on - it definitely looks cooler.

WOW, I tough I've seen it all!

I tested homemade screen anywhere from 20'' to 24". I settle for 22" with a laminar lip alike. That was more then enough to get the air over my helmet. There's more to it than height. The shape has a lot to do with it. I end up changing mine for a Puig Touring screen. The negative pressure behind the screen made it hard a bit to breath for me. It was a bit better after I install a Gwing air vent in the middle of the screen... but it was looking bad.

But hey! If it work for you and you're happy with it, great!

Not to offend you in any way.. and it's very cool that you completely got rid of the wind, but DAMN!!! That crosses my threshold of "function over form" by about 17 miles :p
haha. Im not offended one bit. I did want a touring bike but found that they are too slow and too heavy and wont go round corners very well, so i decided to convert this bike. At the end of the day a bke is for riding not just for looking at. I can easly do a 300 mile run at high speed and not know ive done it.

WOW, I tough I've seen it all!

I tested homemade screen anywhere from 20'' to 24". I settle for 22" with a laminar lip alike. That was more then enough to get the air over my helmet. There's more to it than height. The shape has a lot to do with it. I end up changing mine for a Puig Touring screen. The negative pressure behind the screen made it hard a bit to breath for me. It was a bit better after I install a Gwing air vent in the middle of the screen... but it was looking bad.

But hey! If it work for you and you're happy with it, great!
Yes ive tried a smaller screen with a lip, but found that it only worked up to about 60 mph, after that it started to get very wind, turbulant and noisy past the helmet. This screen is the only one that stops all that up to 150mph.

Well I guess for cold weather riding that screen that you got on there now can't be beat if it blocks all the air as you say. I prefer to feel some air hitting me and don't ride in cold temps so I don't find it appealing.

The stock windscreen didn't work all that good for me, but the Magical Racing one that I have on there now is very nice. Directs the air at my chest so the helmet gets "clean" air.

You could have as well strapped a barn door or a french window :D !!!

Yes ive tried a smaller screen with a lip, but found that it only worked up to about 60 mph, after that it started to get very wind, turbulant and noisy past the helmet. This screen is the only one that stops all that up to 150mph.

Got mine in the 3 digits also... without any issues. All day long! Let me try to find a good pic of the screen...

Here we go. 22" screen with lip +2" in the middle only. The sweet spot was 15 deg between the screen and the lip. On top of my mind I have 1/2" or 3/4" gap between the screen and lip.

Last edited:
You got to be kidding,for a start I`d never get over the ribbing my mates would give me,O well I guess beauty is in the eyes of the beholder

Back