advice needed... too fast?

cjbottaro

Hello,

I currently own a 2007 SV650 and have owned (a long time ago) a CBR600F3.

The SV650 is just too slow. It has great low end torque, but just falls flat at over 60 mph... very disappointing.

I have never ridden a liter bike and am kind of apprehensive of the power. I remember the CBR being almost scary fast and am wondering if the FZ1 would be too much. By too much, I mean I don't want to accidentally flip the bike if my hand slips or something.

I guess I'm asking how easy it is to ride the FZ1. The SV650 is so easy, you can practically being sleeping. I can even floor it in 1st gear and not have to worry.

Also, I know they updated the fuel mapping for the 2010 model... can this upgrade be applied to the 2008 model?

Thanks!

You won't flip it unless you dump the clutch. The FZ1 is scary fast for sure, but off the mark it behaves beautifully. I doubt you'll have any trouble other than keeping it below 100 MPH. Slow is not in its vocabulary, although it handles well at slow speed. The 2008 mapping should be fine. I doubt the 2010 new map is anything outstanding and I don't think, although others here will know for sure, you can just swap out the 2008 for the 2010 map. If you want, get a power commander or juice box and make your own map, which will probably be better than the 2010 stock one. Everyone should own a an FZ1 at least once in their life. They're the standard by which you'll judge all other bikes. Good luck with your decision and welcome to our site.

Ditto! +1

Although I have owned sportbikes in the past, I had gotten off a Honda Spirit 750 to the FZ1 after being out of the "sportbike loop" for many years. It is much more well mannered down low than my GSXR750 ever was. Very managable to say the least. Now above 8K on the tach and all bets are off! You had better be holding on and sleeping will mean certain death!!:nono:

If you have self control, you will not have a problem getting to know the FZ1. If you take it easy and get to know the bike slowly you won't have any problems. Welcome to the forum :)

So long as there is no disconnect between what is under the helmet and what is gripping the throttle, you'll do fine. As with any new bike, you should take it easy, no sudden movements, get to know the bike and slowly ramp up to see what the capabilities of the bike are as well as where your skills are in relation to the bike.

Learn to respect her first, then let her take you for the rides you dreamed of.

I think the obvious question here is exactly how long have you been riding? Have you owned the SV650 for 3 years or 3 weeks?

Always ride with your head and you'll be fine.

For what it's worth, many articles you'll read about the FZ1 will speak about the lack of low end and midrange for a 1000cc liter bike. They are true, and that's the beauty of the FZ1.

If you ride it normally you'll find you don't have to worry about anything odd happening below 7K RPMs. Take it past 8000 and you'll find a whole different animal, which enables you to tailor your ride to your mood or riding style.

Again, if you've been riding regularly for more than 2 years I'd say you'll be fine. If you truly wish to move on from the SV650, there are a lot of options, but I don't think you'll find a problem with the FZ1 as an experienced rider of a 650cc V-Twin.

Remember, it's only goes as hard as you twist the throttle.

Best wishes!

+1 to the above comments. With a nice pipe and other mods to help it breath it's a well behaved damn Hoolighan bike and you'd like it!

Find a good used one, save $$. If you don't like it - sell it. (you won't)

I went from a 250 to the fz1 after about 15 months of riding. I was surprised how well behaved it is.

The only trouble I'm having is staying under the speed limits :p

For what it's worth, many articles you'll read about the FZ1 will speak about the lack of low end and midrange for a 1000cc liter bike. They are true, and that's the beauty of the FZ1.

Best wishes!

Is this low response in the low and midrange true of models 2009 & 2010?

The one thing I found with my new 2009 is that it has in fact great low and mid range, at least in comparison to my old Honda CBR929 & CBR954 sport bikes.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Thanks!

Is this low response in the low and midrange true of models 2009 & 2010?

The one thing I found with my new 2009 is that it has in fact great low and mid range, at least in comparison to my old Honda CBR929 & CBR954 sport bikes.

Anyone care to comment on this?

Thanks!

Well I never rode a CBR929 or 954, but the FZ1 is definitely not what I would call torquey down low. Don't forget that this engine is based on the R1 engine and even with different cams it still favors top end power.

Well I never rode a CBR929 or 954, but the FZ1 is definitely not what I would call torquey down low. Don't forget that this engine is based on the R1 engine and even with different cams it still favors top end power.

I watched Eric, Billy, and Tony get into the guts of their bikes and put them back together, better than before. I don't know diddly about mechanical stuff, like these guys do. I am pretty good at observations though and I've been lucky to try dozens of bikes these past few years, switching rides with friends, and taking test rides. I recently rode a friend's BMW K1200S which he said had better than 180 HP and was lighter I believe, than my FZ1. I almost could not keep the front wheel on the ground. In contrast, you'd have a difficult time raising the FZ1's front wheel without pulling on the handlebars, playing with the clutch, etc. IMO, this is a good thing. So maybe I can't beat a Gixxer or a Hyabusa from a stop light but very few bikes and no car I ever encountered gave me much trouble. The FZ1 seems to respond perfectly in nearly every situation, and in my opinion, is a very forgiving machine for our occassional indescretions, like the time I peeled out sideways in a parking lot, or downshifted 2 gears at 65 MPH dragging my rear wheel, or skidded to a stop to make a turn I realized I missed, or...

Wow, thanks all for the responses. This has definitely been helpful and reassuring.

I think the obvious question here is exactly how long have you been riding? Have you owned the SV650 for 3 years or 3 weeks?

10 years ago I had a CBR600F3. I didn't have it very long... less than 6 months. One night I was riding in the rain and exiting the highway on a large fly over. Being an inexperienced rider and kind of freaked out about the rain, I think I slowed down too much on the fly over. I ended up getting rear ended. Luckily, I didn't get hurt at all... :)

Over the past 10 years, my friend would periodically lend me his old first gen SV650 for weeks at a time. That's why I ended up getting an SV... I was just comfortable on one.

Since I got my own, I've been riding it every day that it doesn't rain for about a year. It is definitely my main and preferred mode of transportation.

I had the same concerns before I purchased the FZ1.

Left stock and kept under 7000 RPM they are no problem at all. If you find yourself later wanting more power in the lower half of the RPM range, we can give you plenty of power for about $1000.

AW

Sounds like you're good to go my man. Just go easy on the throttle for a while. The brakes are very powerful as well. A finger or two is all you'll need most of the time.

In comparison to other 4 cyl bikes, does anyone still thin the 2009-2010 FZ1 is lacking in the low and mid ranges? Lets not think of V-twisn here...

Any comments on this?

In comparison to other 4 cyl bikes, does anyone still thin the 2009-2010 FZ1 is lacking in the low and mid ranges? Lets not think of V-twisn here...

Any comments on this?

As you know everything is relative. In comparison to my 4 cylinder FZ6 the FZ1 is like a rocket ship down low. In comparison to an FJR it's a little anemic down low, mostly because the FJR has a lot more torque. Unless you're coming from the liter supersports (R1, GSXR 1000) or large sport tourers I don't think anyone is going to think the FZ1 lacks for anything, low, medium, or high. It's been a rare post when someone comes to our forum and says "Sheez, this bike's got no grunt." Speaking of the large sport tourers I have 2 friends with the R1200RT and the FZ1 kicks their behinds.

I find it lacking in low/mid-range but knowing the I4 Yamaha engines, I expect it as well. It is easy to compensate for though with throttle control. When I say it is lacking, it is for a mere 2 seconds. After that, I'm already up to a healthy ticket and still in first gear. When it hits 8k the front begins lifting all on its own. By the time I top out 2nd gear, I'm already (if on the street) up to a felony charge. ;)

Now, for those that want a hole-shot bike or stunta, there's many other options. But neither of these are a primary reason to buy any of the Yamaha FZ family of bikes. They were not designed to perform that way. This bike can perform in almost any manner you want it to. To me, I have the best of both worlds. I have a bike that behaves VERY well when I'm just "Riding" but if I want to be the hooligan, I can easily do that by lifting the RPMs up over 7k and have all the fun you can muster.

These are the opinions of FZ1inNH and in no way are they written to present factual information.

Any comments on this?

My response would be, yes, comparitively it is tame in the low to mid range.

As far as if it's lacking, I would say absolutely no.

Having ridden all the CBRs you asked about as well as my Repsol on the track, the FZ1 is short of all outright supersport bikes as well as many larger bore supersport tourers like the FJR1300.

Compared to the MV Agusta F4 1000 S, it is the easiest bike on Earth to ride. The MV's throttle was a complete on/off switch and very hard to modulate.

As stated above, the FZ1 is tamer in the midrange, but that's why I specifically picked it! Some will call it a "weakness", but I find it to be one of the FZ1's strengths. As far as seeing a difference between a stock 2007 or a stock 2009 in performance, I would say I've seen none at all.

Also as someone stated above, the Yamaha SuperSport bikes are ALL oriented significantly toward top-end performance, and the FZ1 is sourced from the R1. It is expected.

Personally, it's a do-it-all machine. I cruise around with my wife at 35 all day long and she never gets nervous. If I wanted to tear it up I'd run it out to redline and go like a naked banshee!

You can do whatever you want with it, and it will comply.

In comparison to the other bikes, I will say ANY supersport 1000cc bike will lift its front wheel with no clutch or yank on the bars, the FZ1 will not unless you work the throttle perfectly.

Sounds like the new owner would be happy with an FZ1, and has the experience to manage it. Someone looking for a liter bike that they don't have to worry about unsolicited wheelspin or pointing the front wheel at the sky would be fine. Keep it in the lower rpms until you're used to it, which will be 2 weeks. When you're ready to see what it will do, pound it to 10K on the highway. Then I always recommend a riding school or track days to learn what you would never know on the street.

You'll never confuse it for an SV650.

Best wishes, and keep us posted on what you decide to purchase.

Brian

Girls ride it. :) lol!! Just teasin..I think you will find the FZ1 to be a good fit for you. Anything you ride needs to be ridden responsibly. Yes, it's fast. Do you have to go fast? No. Go test ride one!

Back