advice needed... too fast?

Thanks Norm. I often wonder if I'm too verbose with some of my answers, but I have a lot to share from other experiences and just wanted to make sure it was all out there.

Brian

Yep, your last line really summed it all up. For whatever reason I'm not a big twin fan, be it V-twin, Parallel twin, or even the BMW boxer. The V-Twin on my friend's Victory Hammer is monstrous but I was still glad to get back on my FZ1 after we switched rides. But like you say, the twin of the SV650 is about as different a power plant as you could get compared to the FZ1 having about half the HP and half to 2/3 the torque of our beloved beasts. The OP is in for a very pleasant surprise if he picks one up.

Ok, I bought one... :D Please see my thread here about initial impressions: http://www.998cc.org/forum/main-lobby-new-member-section/8759-new-owner-initial-impressions.html

I have some issues and would like the opinions of you guys who have been riding them a long time and have more motorbiking experience than me in general.

Btw, to everyone in this thread that said "you don't need to worry about flipping the bike over"... yall were right... :) To everyone who said "it's weak in the mid/low end"... yall are crazy... :D The damn thing pulls plenty hard for me at just 3k... :p

Put a 16T front sprocket on and then launch with the bike. :Rockon: It is still not going to dump you BUT it will certainly leave the competition behind faster. Yes it robs a bit off the top end but who really gets to use the top end of an FZ1 anyway. ;)

Glad you like it! Hope those issues get sorted to the point you never want to give it up.

The power is very easy to control on the FZ1, powerband kicks in above 7'000 rpm, below that it is a pussy cat. Take your time getting use to the power and you'll be fine. Get the FZ1, you only live once!!!

Yes it robs a bit off the top end but who really gets to use the top end of an FZ1 anyway. ;)

Eh, hemmm, I do, thank you very much. After my ride yesterday I don't see how people ride with a 16T. When your between 85 to 100 the 17T is perfect. For the track, yes a 16T would be great.

OP, if you go out west of Austin, Kerrville, etc, you'll want the 17T. There's also a stealth road NW of Bastop that the 17T will find redline.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's really easy to control the power.

It only took me a month before I got used to it... now I want it faster. Looking at 16/47 sprockets and then power commander and all that stuff... :cheers:

Hellgate, damn... I can't really imagine wanting to go over 150 mph. I got up to 130 once on a CBR F3 and it was somewhat freaky.

Eh, hemmm, I do, thank you very much. After my ride yesterday I don't see how people ride with a 16T. When your between 85 to 100 the 17T is perfect. For the track, yes a 16T would be great.

OP, if you go out west of Austin, Kerrville, etc, you'll want the 17T. There's also a stealth road NW of Bastop that the 17T will find redline.

That's strange, because I haven't noticed ANY top end missing. I installed the 16T, haven't noticed a
Much higher rev, and especially after my dash down the local track today, no lost speed. I really enjoy the extra quickness off the line as well. :)

That's strange, because I haven't noticed ANY top end missing. I installed the 16T, haven't noticed a
Much higher rev, and especially after my dash down the local track today, no lost speed. I really enjoy the extra quickness off the line as well. :)

And you drag too!? Cool! What kind of times are you running Missy? Enquiring minds want to know.

Lol, no dragging, just a couple of us have friends that get together on occasion with access to a local track near where I live. :) just a place to
open em up legally!

I made the EXACT same jump because I had the EXACT same feelings that you are having.
A 2001 SV650 to a 2004 FZ1. I did feel the huge power increase. You will notice the increase but it only takes a few days to get used to it.
All I can say is that I adjusted quick and I am so happy that I made the jump. Go for it! You won't regret it!

Back