AIS block off...newbie how to

If you remove the top of the air box, you will see on the left side, the intake hole for the AIS tube(looking straight down from the top). The tube is connected under the airbox on the left (clutch) side of the bike. This is the tube you want to plug but also plug the airbox hole securely so that nothing will come loose and get sucked into the bike's intake.

Last edited:
other than "popping" on decel, can any harm to my motor happen if I do not plug the AIS?

None at all. :D The popping is the excess fuel burning off on the hot exhaust. It actually happens with the stock exhaust but that is designed to hide the sounds of it. Those of us who have blocked the AIS are not harming the bike, but we are harming the atmosphere by putting more raw fuel into the air. :( But, I cannot stand the stock exhaust, nor can I stand the popping. :D

Last edited:
Just wanted to add something for those wondering if/why they should do this.
Yes, it gets rid of the popping. No, it will not hurt anything.
The other reason is that if you ever get a PC and go a to good tuner, they will want it blocked or removed. Allowing fresh air into the exhaust messes with the air/fuel readings. If they're not taking those readings, you are just getting a dyno run.

ais block off..

Hello,

Just got my fz1 yesterday with two brothers end pipe, also experiencing the popping. Just wondering if you have step by step picture of doing this? Im a little bit nervous of doing this. Thank you very much...

Ais blockoff works magic

You can leave the AIS system in place. What I did was to put an extra clamp on the tube that connects to the bottom of the airbox. Then, I pushed into the tube an electrical wire nut a couple inches. I tightened the clamp below the nut so it couldn't slip by. Then, I topped off the tube with silicone, put it back on the airbox and clamped it in place.

To do this, you have to lift the tank, remove the airbox cover, remove the stacks which releases the bottom of the airbox and allows access to the tube which is attached to the underside of the airbox on the left/clutch side. Expect about an hour but do it after your riding day is over. You'll want the silicone to cure over night.

Essentially, what ever you can snugly fit into the hose and clamp in place. I don't think I needed the silicone but I wanted to be sure it was sealed.

To remove the whole thing, you need to replace the plates on the valve cover with either Ivan's, Copperdog's or block the holes where the tubes would normally connect. Some have even used JB Weld and welded a penny under the plate to cover the hole.

Thanks FZ1inNH, I followed your method of blocking off the AIS BELOW the airbox with a plug and silicone and clamp below plug. As you said , about an hours work. Before I had done this my FZ1 was popping like crazy on deceleration with aftermarket exhaust installed ( its a carbon SP Engineering one from UK ). Now, after the fix, absolutely no popping at all, just a beautiful throaty decel note...MAGIC!!! Thanks again.

Well, not really. Blocking the system may decrease or eliminate the popping, but that doesn't mean it is in a proper state of tune. It may be bring it back close enough to stock settings to eliminate the popping, but stock settings are still a bit lean, and you can make your engine run better, less hot, and add longevity to it by getting a good tune a bit more on the rich side.

I'm a little confused by this statement. Maybe someone can help clarify it for me. I always thought the reason for the popping was the introduction of fresh air into the system via the AIS. Fresh air + raw fuel + heat = boom. So how would removing it bring it closer to stock settings? As far as I know the AIS doesn't affect the tune at all. Even a properly tuned bike will pop with an aftermarket can and the AIS connected. Am I right or wrong?

just a quick question for those who already have done the ais blocking....
what type of bolt u have use on the inside airbox?
what type of bolt u have use on the tube down the airbox?
also,what is the size of both bolts?
any photos of the bolts?
i have fitted the steering damper on the bike so i'm a little boring of take out all the pannels,tank to see myself....

When Ivan flashed my ECU, he was nice enough to include a vacuum cap which I then lubed with Silicone spray, pushed into the Airbox hose (about 4 inches) and then reconnected the airbox hose back onto the airbox.

It was basically a great way of plugging the AIS system and with Ivans ECU flash and map, the bike no longer pops at all on decel, not even once.

I liked this idea because if I ever had to take the bike over the pits for an inspection of all the pollution devices, everything is still connected.

Back