Antifreeze

Hey all, do you all use regular (50/50) antifreeze in your bike, or is there a special one for bikes? I know it sounds dumb but I've never had to add this to my cruiser but the FZ1 is low. Thanks in adv.

I flushed my system recently and also started running Engine Ice. Having a GenI, I don't have the luxury of a temp gauge but the bike is running flawlessly and I had heard nothing but good news about the product so I guess you can say that I'm happy with the switch.

:poke:Engine Ice

Johnny and Billy should know better than to mention a product and not link to it. ;)

Engine ice runs cooler and is premixed so there is no guess work on ratios.

Last edited:
Hey all, do you all use regular (50/50) antifreeze in your bike, or is there a special one for bikes? I know it sounds dumb but I've never had to add this to my cruiser but the FZ1 is low. Thanks in adv.

To answer your original question I would just follow the instructions for the coolant you bought. If you are unsure of what is in the cooling system now or when it was last changed I would just flush the whole thing now and replace all the cooling fluids.

Thanks for the replies and link. Just wasn't sure if bikes had some special (bike specific) one they use. Sounds like I can just add regular one. When I'm ready for a flush I may try engine ice since it seems like it's prefered here. Gotta consult with the pros here first before I go tinckling with stuff.

Thanks for the replies and link. Just wasn't sure if bikes had some special (bike specific) one they use. Sounds like I can just add regular one. When I'm ready for a flush I may try engine ice since it seems like it's prefered here. Gotta consult with the pros here first before I go tinckling with stuff.

Pro's???? Damn! and all this time I thought I was a Pro!? Oh well.:(

Sorry for not posting a link, I was told when the semester ends I can have my brain back. On 60 degree to 75 degree days my temps run around 173. we will see how it dies in the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unless you're racing the bike (where they don't allow antifreeze) I would just stick with the premixed 50/50 stuff. Our bikes have enough cooling capacity and what's most important is corrosion protection for the the aluminum parts...

I'm still on stock but both bikes will be on Engine Ice soon. I've heard far too much good about that stuff. I'm almost ready to remove the AIS completely and change out the plugs so I figure I'll drain, flush and fill the cooling system with the new stuff.

Brad, we should change your ID to Link you know. :D (This is a good thing!)

Unless you're racing the bike (where they don't allow antifreeze) I would just stick with the premixed 50/50 stuff. Our bikes have enough cooling capacity and what's most important is corrosion protection for the the aluminum parts...

This is exactly what I wanted to know. Thanks! Phew!! I got so much info from everyone which I truely appreciate, but I just wanted to know if I can buy the premix 50/50 stuff like i would for my car. Guess I should have phrased my original question better. lol.

I just emptied my radiator last weekend and filled it and the reservoir back up last night. I just buy Prestone antifreeze from walmart and a gallon of distilled water. I have an empty Prestone jug in the garage. I use the two jugs to make a 50/50 mix and get two full jugs for the price of one plus 83 cents for distilled water. Have done this on all my vehicles for years after seeing my father do it on all his vehicles with zero problems.

Back