Been wrong for sooooo long. (A thread about coffee)

One real good thing to look for if you are in the market for a coffee maker. Purchase one that has a thermos not a heated pot. The heated pot constantly burns off the water making the coffee stronger and staler. You will be amazed at how much better your coffee tastes 45 minutes after brewing from a thermos than from a heated pot. There a only a few companies that make them with a thermos, with a built in grinder, even more scarce. Take it from me they are well worth it.

Steve

:cloud9:

Press

k... I'll bite.... how does one use a French Press exactly?

You put the grounds in the glass container and pour in the hot water and give it a stir. Then the lid, which has a screen filter on a plunger is used to slowly force the grounds down to the bottom of the container. It is simple and the coffee has the most caffeine and flavour of any kind of coffee bar none. :tup:

Yeah, sort of like what oldschool said.

I boil my water. While it's boiling I grind my beans and pour the grounds into the bottom of the french press.

Then, when the water is boiling, I pour it in and put the lid on the press. You let it sit for four minutes. (This is science, you know.)

Then, after four minutes, you press down the plunger.

You'll never have better coffee, I guarentee it.

You don't want to do boiling water though... that cooks the grounds before extracting all the flavor. You want water to be at the 201 - 204 degree mark for optimum coffee flavor. ;)

You guys mess with my head too much..... I pulled out the thermometer and checked this morning.... water temp gets to 170 in my pot ....

I honestly like the convenience of having a normal coffee pot compared to a french press... I can grind the beans, hit the start button, and continue getting ready for my day... hop in the shower, get dressed, etc.... I think the french press, while it may create great coffee, would slow me down more in the mornings.... So... I'll likely be looking for another coffee pot this weekend...

How will a pot capable of higher temps change the way I'm making coffee now? Will I be using less grounds to get the same taste I'm getting now? or is that going to be something I have to adjust a little bit each morning?

Ok... broke down this weekend and bought that Bunn Coffee Maker.... tried it out this morning with some pre-ground Starbucks coffee that was opened in December....

and the result was better coffee than my old machine made with fresh ground goodness...

Holy crap. I can't believe the difference.... the reason this bag of Starbucks has been open for so long is because it's 1/2 caff, and I wasn't a big fan of its taste.... but... with the new machine... OH MY GOD!!!

They put drugs in that makes you think it tastes good.

:laugh2: They must! The last time that I ate McDonalds food (or drank coffee from there) was when one of the guys at work bought lunch for everyone. I needed a hepatitus shot as a result ( Me and 10,000 others). I just can't bring myself to go back. It could have happened anywhere I know, but still, not a good thing.

We drink Peet's coffee. Usually "Major Dickenson's Blend". We stop in every month at the the store and buy 3lbs of fresh ground beans. We keep the excess in a vacuum sealed container using the food saver. The current coffee maker is a Krups and it does well.

This is what I used to use. Haven't replaced it since I split with the ex, but it made a very nice coffee (once you get the packing right) if you keep it scrupiously clean. Every bit as good as any coffee I've ever had at a cafe. Freshly ground, fresh beans, packed just right and you let it run for just the right amount of time (need to watch it come out of the head) and get the cup out of the way. Don't want it bitter...lol. Cup warmer plate on top also. Once you get the knack for frothing your milk, you can whip up a cappuccino in no time. Sprinkle with chocolate, maybe make a nice pattern with a skewer and the whole time you're whiffing on freshly ground beans....yummo.

http://www.sunbeam.com.au/Pages/Browse/ProductDetail.aspx?pid=1129

:worship:

Ever since I started to grind it fresh every morning before brewing, and using a coffee press ... well can't go back to coffee makers and stuff....and yes somebody mentioned above that the hot water temperature should be ~200F. If you haven't tried the coffee press you should. Just my 2 cents.

My wife and I love coffee, but we're too lazy to go through all the effort of grinding / french press etc.. I just clean the maker then put the grinds. I really should make the effort, this thread is good motivation.

Its the water, water filter etc, then the coffee maker. Water flavor affects the flavor of coffee.

Michael

I'm a big coffee drinker. I'm not at all surprised with your test results. However, I also find an important component in a good cup of coffee is the coffee maker. We have a coffee company in the NW called Tulleys. I love their drip coffee; when they make it I grind their beans with my own grinder and can't get the same taste. I have them grind a bag exactly as they grind for themselves, and still can't get the same flavor. Must be something about their coffee maker.
Currently, I'm drinking coffee, ground at the store and then stored in the freezer, from Trader Joe's. (May not be in your neck of the woods) I like it well enough and they always have one of their coffee selections on sale for about $3.50/14 oz.

Just wanted to let you guys know this thread inspired me to dig under 15 years of my wife's clutter and dig out my old grinder and cappucino machine. It's been great. I forgot how much I like the stuff. I even have my 10 year old daughter steaming the milk for me. I bought some fresh beans at Shop-Rite but I plan to send away for the good stuff.

They both still work. I though for sure at least one of them would be broken from old age.

Hey Va_Rider, maybe you should have titled this thread....
"Bean wrong for so long."

ok damn it.

I came downstairs this morning, ready for my morning cup of coffee... I hit the switch on my Bunn... and .... .... .... nothing. WTF!?

I have it plugged into a timer so it's not keeping the water in the reservoir at 198 degrees all day long... so, being the intelligent problem solver that I am in the mornings... I turned the timer.. nothing happened... I hit the switch to change it from timer controlled to just a pass-through for the outlet... nothing.

Crap.

So, I walked away. .. came back 10 minutes later, thinking that maybe it was all an awful dream and it was working fine... Nope.

Finally, I thought to unplug the machine from the timer, plug it straight into the receptacle. ... nothing. ... next move: check the breakers in the panel... hmmm none of them are tripped... maybe a mouse chewed through the wires or something...

As I was unscrewing the cover on the receptacle, it dawned on me that maybe I should plug something else in... so, grab the iPad and charger just to confirm that the receptacle is dead... and..... nope. Receptacle works fine.

So.. this tells you all 2 things:

#1 - My brain doesn't work properly in the mornings. That whole diatribe above would normally be solved in 2 steps.

#2 (and the important one) - MY DAMN COFFEE POT IS BROKEN.

So.. time to pick the collective brain.... what should I get tonight so I can have good coffee in the morning? I've been looking at some Cuisinart coffee pots.... but I've also been tossing around the idea of getting a french press...

So.. I guess the real question is: Is the french press that awesome? It'd require me to change my morning routine and wake up earlier... also, if I have people at the house, it'll take significantly longer to make coffee for several people.... or should I just get another coffee pot?

Back