Best first mods: Go!!!

Jared...I thought u need a PC w ivans package regardless?

correct, if you buy his flash he'll include a fuel map for a PC with it too i believe. just, have it checked out when you do. other flashes have the fueling included built around your exhaust, whether its stock, a slip on, or full system.

I don't get why some of you whine about the bike not being fast. I have a slip on k&n and a 16t and I have no issues keeping up with ANY of the supersports I ride with.
On the track, I'm sure it can't keep with the big boys but any back country twisties I have no issues.

Yes it can be made faster, which I fully intend to do at some point.

Honestly I've ridden tons of bikes, there are bikes that do this better or that better but all around the fz is my favorite. I'm 6'5 so the supersports are cramped and honestly so are the road couches. Different riding style but still cramped.

it cannot keep up with any supersports anywhere and the only reason you are is because you're a better rider than they are or they won't ride that hard on the street. it's heavy, it doesnt turn well, it doesnt brake well, it doesnt accelerate well, you have to ride it like a 600 and keep it over 7k rpm's to really have fun with it, torque pulls you outta corners nicely but it cannot keep up with a real supersport, anywhere, in any category on the street or track performance wise. that's not negative, that's not whining, that's just fact and is what it is.

it's not whining, it's the truth. the bike is limited by its hardware and software. hardware can only get x amount of air in and with software you can only add y amount of fuel with z amount of timing to get as close to complete stochiometric combustion as possible but hardwares limited to hardware, unless you find a way to get more air into the combustion chamber, or rev higher to allow, you're at a hardline of performance wall. you can't just tune out more performance if it's already maxxed out. whats in the fz1 can only do around 150hp and that's rare, anything above that is usually dyno inaccuracy.

no ones arguing that the fz1 isn't a great bike. it's personally my favorite street bike i've ever owned and why i still have it. no one is not saying it's a bad bike. but no, it's not a fast bike.

i absolutely love my fz1. i swapped R1 suspension and brakes onto it, flashed it, gytr slip on, custom seat done and i'm not sure how i could love the bike anymore. i just rode it around the USA comfortably, 1,000 mile days easily, dragged the pegs through mountains in every state that had curvy roads, it was amazing cuz it's capable of a lotta fun in every category, thats what the fz class is, good at everything but not great at anything and i love it.

I completely disagree. Compare the 08 fz1 to the 01 R1 the fz weighs 24 lbs more and has 8 less rwhp. (stat wise)
I'd say that's fairly comparable. Put a bit bigger boy (I'm 195) on the R1 and its even more leveled out.

Will the fz keep up the the modern Supersport 1000's no not all out. But if you step back 8-10 years I believe it's a bit different story.

Now that we've completely derailed the thread...

Last edited:
I may be in the minority here but I say suspension and tires first. Better handling with a weaker power output is much better than poor handling and a powerful engine. I grew up in the 60s and we had many muscle cars emerging then, all straight line acceleration but no suspension, tires or brakes. Going in a straight line gets old very fast on a twisty road.

I got an R1 rear shock with Satan's adapter and Michelin PR4s for just the cost of a carbon slip-on only and it handles so much better than if I got the slip-on.

Agree. FZ1 has a lot of un-usable street power. Only can go so fast before *handling* comes into play. Improve the suspension. Upgrade the rubber.

I was lucky and have ohlins front shocks and 6 piston brakes and ohlins rear. No complaints with those but I think it's close to 4k for the setup. I got the Ivan flash and every thing else except yosh headers. Dyno at 137 hp it gos pretty quick and 83 in first with -1 in the front.

I was lucky and have ohlins front shocks and 6 piston brakes and ohlins rear. No complaints with those but I think it's close to 4k for the setup. I got the Ivan flash and every thing else except yosh headers. Dyno at 137 hp it gos pretty quick and 83 in first with -1 in the front.

W a -1 in front did u have to take any links out of your chain?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

ohlines fronts? aawesome, ive wished i could afford a set up like that. stock 08 R1 fronts arent bad but will be having them built soon as is

Ohlins are the Bomb, Have them front & Rear on mine and is by far the best performance mod once tuned to your weight, second to Marchesini rims (lighter and quicker/smoother change of direction) then slipon w/ headers with a dyno-tuned PCV then Brembo front brake calipers. I'd include better handlebars and sproket change in the top ten too as the Rizoma bars I am running takes away all the buzz. Rearsets are nice, but not necessary.

What about custom exhaust? I have a friend who's making custom exhausts for the 2007-2014 mazda speed 3. He could route that into my slip on yoshimaru exhaust. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Back