Best Full Tank Mileage Ever!

The cold weather is doing wonders for my gas mileage. Tony and I filled up yesterday in NJ before heading out for our ride. I reset my trip meter at the pump. When I returned home yesterday afternoon I had racked up 169.4 miles total. That was done running both mid 30's through the towns and stretches between them at 55 or so mph. Once on the highway to go home, I ran an average of 65 mph all the way to the house. Now this morning I ran up to Walmart to pick up some dog food and misc. stuff for the house. When I left I still had just over a 1/4 tank of gas. Walmart is just over 41 miles from my house. I figured that I would gas up over there, so I left on what I had in the tank. Well, I got up to Walmart with 211 miles on the trip meter and still had just over the "E" line and no warning light on yet. If it's true that you have one gallon left when your light comes on it would mean that theoretically I could have gone almost another 40 miles! I didn't fill the tank up by Walmart. I only put 10 dollars gas in, but just going by the trip meter and where the gas needle was, this had to be my "all time" best mileage since owning the bike.

I'm curious as to how many miles others have ridden on a full tank of gas. No need for mpg readings here, just a total amount of miles for one tank of gas. This goes for you GenII guys as well.

168 miles and I was sweating out the last 5 of those! What is the tank size on the GEN I?

I hear you! I've gone about 15x and the last 15 miles or so the F-trip was on. I was sweating to say the least. Kept having visions of pushing the bike on the side of the road.

Gen I gas tank is 5.5 gallons and yes us gen II guys are jealous :D

pushing it!

My record is 298 km.(About 183 miles) I was about 35 km into the "F-Trip" (reserve). I was hoping that I had 4 L of reserve like the manual said, but I was a little concerned by then.

depends

Hey, that ain't bad at all for the GenII! You were still over 40mpg.

It was when the bike was still fairly new and I wasn't getting too crazy. I had not installed the hard bags yet at that point or the taller windshield. When spring arrives I will report on the fuel mileage as it stands then. Nature is not co-operating these days.:eyebrow:

I wish I could contribute something useful but so far my bike has gotten a whopping 38 miles on it and then the bad weather hit. Come on spring.

One week that I was just running out and back to work I got about 210 or 220 miles. I pushed it to the limit the indicator was flashing for about 10 miles or more. That whole week was all easy riding and no play just for the purpose of seeing what I could get.

The cold weather usually kills my gas mileage for the cars and so far the same seems to be happening for my bike. I'm getting about 37 mpg on average, 40 mpg once in a while. On the plus side the bike seems to be even peppier than before.

The cold weather usually kills my gas mileage for the cars and so far the same seems to be happening for my bike. I'm getting about 37 mpg on average, 40 mpg once in a while. On the plus side the bike seems to be even peppier than before.

Really!? Thats strange. Gas when in a colder temperature becomes more dense. That, and the colder charge of air into the intake should make for more power and improved gas mileage. I'm going to enjoy every minute of the winter months. Yesterday aside from the fact that I had recorded my best mileage, I was shocked for the simple fact that I wasn't even trying to conserve gas when we were on our ride. Thats why I was so surprised. This coming tank I am going to consciously try to take it easy to see if I could better my mileage from Sunday.

I've had my bike for a few months now (gen I) back when it was warmer the best I ever got was 49mpg. I was absolutely amazed. I was @ 75mph for about 3 hours going from northern California to southern California. I was skeptical that I got a fluke reading so I double and triple checked with the mpg ranging from 48-49 mpg.

Ok so totally off subject here but I can't find anywhere else this would even remotely apply.
So I have access to free aviation gasoline (100LL), the key word being free.
I only get a small amount but when I do get some it's about 5 gallons, so it's enough to fill a tank in my bike. I usually get it to run lawn mowers and such but now I finally have a bike I might be able to save on fuel a little.
I already know that leaded fuel will clog catalytic converters so I want to know if my bike (2003 FZ1) has one?

The more important question is that I've been warned that aviation fuel will/might cause damage to my engine.
I already know that the fuel is the same as auto fuel, but will the Tetra-ethyl lead additive do damage to my engine?
Does anyone have a solid answer to this question or know someone/somewhere where I can get an answer?
Thanks!

Seems like i end up filling tank everytime i ride, my F-Trip is always yelling at me! So i'm curious exactly how many miles do i have before bone dry on a Gen II when the F-Trip comes on?

Back