bike wont start in gear

snofrog

if my bike is in gear it wont start ( yes I pull in the clutch ) I must put it in neutral to start . is this the norm or do I have a switch on the fritz . thanks in advance for your input . Mark

if my bike is in gear it wont start ( yes I pull in the clutch ) I must put it in neutral to start . is this the norm or do I have a switch on the fritz . thanks in advance for your input . Mark

Sounds like the switch at the clutch lever is acting up. The side stand switch is fine since it starts in neutral.

Check the wires/plugs at the clutch side switch. Look under the clutch lever and see the two wires connected there? Unplug and replug them both. Try again and it should start in gear with the clutch pulled. :D

yep fixed now . one wire was just hanging loose below the clutch lever . thank`s a ton everyone

Easy fix then. I really don't know why Yamaha put such flimsy connectors on those wires. And connect them individually instead of having them both in a nice locking weatherproof plug. The beancounters just go too far sometimes...:shame:

Last edited:
I agree it does look kind of cheesy . an actual plug would be a much better design . make it weather proof for long life and call it a day

I agree it does look kind of cheesy . an actual plug would be a much better design . make it weather proof for long life and call it a day

The sad thing is that they have been using the current design for many, many years. Probably since the 80's. Time for a redesign and upgrade...

If the side stand is down, mine won't start in gear either, even with the clutch pulled in. The display registers a code 19. My c14 would still start in gear, so long as the clutch was pulled in, regardless of the state of the sidestand.

Back