Breast Cancer Awareness Month

We're doing this on the 6 side....how many members can we get to change their avatars for October in support of Breast Cancer Awareness?
Come on guys and girls.....

Last edited:
Just want to ad that i have a family member that had breast cancer about 12 years ago and besidesshe had to remove a breat all went ok and the cancer never came back again, and another family member with mouth cancer also turned out ok. So what i want to say is Be Strong and Believe to all the persons that have this problem, and family and friends support makes all the difference.

Done. I wish I had received some support for my interest for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, so I will happily join you all in the fight against breast cancer!

Fantastic idea, Brenda!

Last edited:
Done. I wish I had received some support for my interest for the Pediatric Brain Tumor Foundation, so I will happily join you all in the fight against breast cancer!

Fantastic idea, Brenda!

I can't take credit for the idea....a member on the 6 side started it. And I would have loved to join you for that ^^ ride, but I'm afraid that PA is just a bit too far!
I hope you had a good time though.

Love this avatar! I can't wait til my wife gets home! :scared0016:

Oh behave!
Lee's new avatar is, ummm, well, you know

Last edited:
I say we all do something meaningful and make a donation.

http://ww5.komen.org/Donate/Donate.html

Ok... my mom and mother-in-law are both breast cancer survivors so I'm aware of the need for research and education. Unfortunately I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one. I personally do alot of volunteer work for Autism orgs & other pediatric disability causes so all this is a bit personal to me.

Frankly, Im stunned at the pink Komen juggernaut that is everywhere. All the NFL games are awash in pink. Every product I buy at the grocery store states that they are partnered with Komen. Heck, my family ate at an On The Border restaurant a few days ago and they had pink flags hanging from the ceiling with nice signs saying partial meal proceeds would be going to Komen. I think you get the picture.

I saw an article recently that stated the funding for cancer research far exceeds the need from the research sites that require it. Meaning, the major cancer research facilities are pretty much set for the next 20 years.

So all Im suggesting is that if you have extra money to give to a charity, try to find one with desperate need and one that doesn't have a marketing juggernaut behind it. If you're eating Campbell's soup, or using Tide detergent, then more than likely you're already donating to Susan G Komen on a daily basis.

fully sympathetic with your pov...it is indeed these that draws the most attention, simply because many people suffer from it...due to many people suffering from it, medical and pharmaceutical are jumping on these groups and spend a lot on research and cure..do not get me wrong, I support these efforts and am fully sympatetic (my mother in law survived twice breastcancer)...but on the other side it frustrates me that diseases, which affect minor groups or individuals, do not get the right focus and attention (and $) to look for cure or treatments....so as you elequantly put, select a donation to a group or charity who is in most need...Maybe the cancer research groups, who have now enough money now, can be encouraged to donate to other research groups, like the research on muscle atrofies-distrofies (my oldest son has mytochondrial myophatie, which is a non-aggressive muscle disorder)

Ok... my mom and mother-in-law are both breast cancer survivors so I'm aware of the need for research and education. Unfortunately I'm going to play devil's advocate on this one. I personally do alot of volunteer work for Autism orgs & other pediatric disability causes so all this is a bit personal to me.

Frankly, Im stunned at the pink Komen juggernaut that is everywhere. All the NFL games are awash in pink. Every product I buy at the grocery store states that they are partnered with Komen. Heck, my family ate at an On The Border restaurant a few days ago and they had pink flags hanging from the ceiling with nice signs saying partial meal proceeds would be going to Komen. I think you get the picture.

I saw an article recently that stated the funding for cancer research far exceeds the need from the research sites that require it. Meaning, the major cancer research facilities are pretty much set for the next 20 years.

So all Im suggesting is that if you have extra money to give to a charity, try to find one with desperate need and one that doesn't have a marketing juggernaut behind it. If you're eating Campbell's soup, or using Tide detergent, then more than likely you're already donating to Susan G Komen on a daily basis.

I share some of your concerns. Prostate cancer in men is much more prevalent than breast cancer but it hardly gets any notice. Though breast cancer research aids all areas of cancer research. That is why I am a supporter.

I do not propose that everyone the planet make a donation to a Breast Cancer related charity or research. We all have charities that we prefer to work with. Whether we donate time, knowledge or money to our preferred charities matters not. What I do propose is that you do not just wear a ribbon for whatever charity you sympathize with. ...and if you do not have any charities you like, well that is fine with me too. Don't wear their ribbon. :)

Last edited:
Back