Buying a tablet wholesale

So I found a link where I can get all 6 members of my immediate family tablets for a price well in my budget. Here are the specs on the tablets:

CPU: CONTEX A9 FSB 1G MHZ
Memory: DDR 512MB
Nandflash: 4GB-32GB(standard 4GB)
Extended: tf card U disk
GPS: Build in
Antenna: External
LCD display: 10.2" TFT highlight display 1024*600
Internet: build in Ethernet, support wifi
Camera: build in camera

I/O ports: DC IN, Earphone, tf card U disk, network port, 1* USB 2.0 Host port, 1* USB2.0 device port, HDMI output
Touch screen: Multi point resistive touch screen
Audio: Build in stereo speakers 1w*2, build in mono recorder
LED indicators: Power, charging
Key press: power on/off, menu, back, home
Max battery time: wifi on: 4 hours
Power adapter: 220v input 9v DC output 2A
Battery: polymer lithium ion 4000mAH
o/s: android 2.3
office: word viewer, excel viewer, powerpoint viewer, PDF viewer, image viewer,
editing programs: microsoft wordpad and microsoft spreadexcel
messengers: QQ, MSN, SKYPE
Audio: MP3 playing, WAV playing,WMA playing, AAC playing, AAC+ playing, WAV recording, WMA recording
Video: H264:1080P, MPEG4/2/1 Divx& xvid: 1080P, Real: RMVB& RM720P, Remark: full HD Video
Image: JPEG image, GIF image
Language: support multi - language

I'm thinking one stop Christmas shopping. Is this worth it?

I'd say hell no.

I've seen a bunch of reviews on 3rd party tablets, but I've never once seen a good review.... Some of the big companies can't even get it right... Look at HP for example... Around here, you can go to CVS pharmacy, and they'll sell you a $79 Android tablet made by Emerson... That is an absolute piece of garbage....

Look at the Kindle Fire.. It's a $199 device made by a mainstream company, that still isn't really worth the cash... It's running on a neutered version of Android, only certain apps work.... You have to think of it as an eReader with a browser... That's about all that's useful.

Also... Read reviews on the device...

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Zenithink-Touchscreen-Android-Tablet-ePad/product-reviews/B0041FFJQA/ref=dp_top_cm_cr_acr_txt?ie=UTF8&showViewpoints=1"]Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Zenithink 10" Touchscreen Android 2.1 Tablet (ePad)[/ame]

Look at the Kindle Fire.. It's a $199 device made by a mainstream company, that still isn't really worth the cash... It's running on a neutered version of Android, only certain apps work.... You have to think of it as an eReader with a browser... That's about all that's useful.

But that's all some people want. Not everyone has to have an iPad strapped to their waist. I have a three year old Kindle which is great for books and can be read in the sunlight. I bought a Fire to see what it is all about, found that I am not a tablet person; don't need to keep in contact at MickeyD's when I pop in for lunch. At home my desktop is the workhorse, if travelling my Dell laptop is fine for evening browsing. Everyone is different and everyone doesn't need the latest and greatest gadget from Apple or other vendors.

Evitzee - If the thread title was looking for eReaders... I'd say go for it... cause when it comes down to it, the requirements of an eReader are much lower than then requirements of a tablet.... I just bought my sister in law a Nook simple touch ... the eReader with the least amount of features... with monochrome eInk.... and it'll be perfect for what she wants it to do... which is read books... I have the Original Nook, and I prefer it to my iPad for reading books...

But... since the request / question is about tablets... that's a different story, and what I provided advice for.

I know that Billy just picked up a nook color and installed cyanogenmod on it and got a working android tablet for two bills.

I did not check the above link for price point for Droid does not want to load it...

Yes, the Fire is a purpose-built e-Reader that "happens" to do tablet functions. This shouldn't even be considered or mentioned when speaking of tablets, right? You are correct that it is an e-Reader with a browser but I'm finding many more uses for it within the browser and the limited selection of applications for it. To say it isn't worth the cash isn't fair IMHO. It's more than worth the cash if you are seeking a tablet only to do web browsing, email, notes, documents, e-reader, etc... Why pay $400+ for a tablet when all the things you really care about are handled by an e-reader that has these other functions? :sinister:

I think the question to ask of Patrice is... what functions are the family members looking for and then see what fits that need, be it a full-blown tablet or something like the Nook or Fire that has additional functions of a tablet at a reduced cost. ;)

The reason the whole thing appealed to me was the ability to get tablets for everyone at a wholesale price. I think if I were just getting them for me and others as savvy as me with the Android/linux system, I'd do it just with different specs.

But I know some of the people on my list are gonna be real PIA's. They were when I built them a computer and they screwed it up. I had to provide tech support! I realized as I read the reviews and then went back to the site to look for different specs that I didn't want to be the tech support on this one. I'll likely pick up a cheaper Android tablet just to have one but not for all of us. Some of us (my immediate family) need ipads for their simplicity. I don't have ipad money and realized sometime very early this morning that even if I did, giving them computers is on my list of "BTDT-never again!"

I was shopping tablets for myself when I saw the deal to get enough for us all for about the price of an ipad and posted my question about the specs.

I am loving the Nook Color! All for 200 bucks plus a 4,8,or16gb Class 4 Micro SD Card and a little work and you'll have the best of both worlds. Insert the preloaded Micro SD and you boot up to a fully working Droid running 2.2.3. Remove the card and reboot and you have a fully functioning Nook Color! You won't void your warranty cause you run the CM7 directly from the Dual Boot Card. The best is that you can buy books from Kindle, Nook, and Google Books and read them all! How sweet is that. All it take is a couple of programs to hack the card which anyone that can read instructions can do, and a "one time" install process where the programs get unzipped onto the card, not the Nook's drive and thats it. After that, it's just a matter of booting the Nook up with or without the card to the operating system you want to use. The color, speed, and video is awesome and I haven't had any issues to date. Battery life is pretty damn good and the WiFi works great on either system. Plug in some stereo headphones and you get some nice audio from MP3 files or just listen to Pandora or some other app. Everything you need to know is on YouTube, or if your not technically inclined, you can go on Fleabay and buy a Micro SD Card all preloaded and ready to go for 39 bucks! Here are some shots of the first night I had the hack installed. I have since changed my wallpaper. By the way, Angry Birds Rules!!!!!

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2485.jpg

I'm not saying this is the way to go but worse case scenario, if you bought the card from Ebay plus the Nook Color, you still have only spent 240 bucks for a really nice dual purpose tablet that Rocks!

They'd be hard pressed to screw up a Kindle Fire.... ;)
You don't know my folks! :eyebrow: (There's no kinda kiddin' smilie)

I am loving the Nook Color! All for 200 bucks plus a 4,8,or16gb Class 4 Micro SD Card and a little work and you'll have the best of both worlds. Insert the preloaded Micro SD and you boot up to a fully working Droid running 2.2.3. Remove the card and reboot and you have a fully functioning Nook Color! You won't void your warranty cause you run the CM7 directly from the Dual Boot Card. The best is that you can buy books from Kindle, Nook, and Google Books and read them all! How sweet is that. All it take is a couple of programs to hack the card which anyone that can read instructions can do, and a "one time" install process where the programs get unzipped onto the card, not the Nook's drive and thats it. After that, it's just a matter of booting the Nook up with or without the card to the operating system you want to use. The color, speed, and video is awesome and I haven't had any issues to date. Battery life is pretty damn good and the WiFi works great on either system. Plug in some stereo headphones and you get some nice audio from MP3 files or just listen to Pandora or some other app. Everything you need to know is on YouTube, or if your not technically inclined, you can go on Fleabay and buy a Micro SD Card all preloaded and ready to go for 39 bucks! Here are some shots of the first night I had the hack installed. I have since changed my wallpaper. By the way, Angry Birds Rules!!!!!

I'm not saying this is the way to go but worse case scenario, if you bought the card from Ebay plus the Nook Color, you still have only spent 240 bucks for a really nice dual purpose tablet that Rocks!

Did I mention I'm cheap? I'm cheap, okay frugal. The whole appeal of the tablets in the first place was the great price. Like I said, it was 6 of them for less than the price of one Ipad. At this point, If I'm spending $200, it won't be on computer stuff for just one person--not even myself.

I have to move and buy christmas stuff this year. Somebody's gonna suffer. I really wanted to be able to do this so I could be shopping for a place to live rather than gifts (still selfish).

TheMomma's birthday woulda been today. I've been off kilter about that for the last three days!

I'll forget about the tablets for now and focus on the individual gifts (likely spending more than I would've for the 6 wholesale tablets).

Did it anyway... kinda

Just got my first tablet :woot:

It's a no name brand I picked up from geeks.com when the price was under $100. Works great outta the plain box it comes in. Been playing with it for the last few hours with no issues. It's a start, I'll see how I use it or if it gives me problems.

M906G 1.0GHz 512MB 4GB 9" Capacitive Touchscreen Tablet M906G

Features/Specifications:
M906G 9-inch Touchscreen Android Tablet

General Features:
Black color at front and white on back
Google Android OS 4.0 pre-installed
9-inch TFT capacitive touch panel
800 x 480 resolution
Allwinner A13, Cortex A8 1.0 GHz processor
512 MB RAM
4 GB internal flash memory
microSD/microSDHC expansion card slot (supports up to 32 GB)
Integrated IEEE 802.11b/g/n Wireless LAN
Built-in speaker and microphone
Built-in front-facing 0.3 MP camera
G-sensor function provides orientation sensing
Built-in rechargeable lithium battery

Ice cream sandwich is cool. Might have to finally root my phone so I can upgrade.

I have a nook tablet running CM7 and a ASUS TF300t. I use the nook for general stuff and the ASUS for HD content. Best of both worlds! Both tablets support HD content but the ASUS has the bigger screen!

Last edited:
That link says $400! I'm just too cheap to spend that much on a tablet. Especially when I don't know how I'll use it. So far, my value tablet is doing what I expected--I can lay in bed when I've over extended myself and be on the internet. That's what I'm doing right now.

I can do that with either plus I can get a docking station with keyboard with another battery source for the TF300T and turn it into a netbook. I know it's not at your price point but it is fun! I didn't put the link in that was the forum.

Last edited:
Quick Review

It's been about a week since I got it and I'm completely addicted to the little thing! For something that I didn't think I'd use a lot, I've been using it a lot since I got it. I'm chalking that up to the "it's new" effect. :flash:

Screen. It's 9 inches and sufficiently bright even at it's lowest setting. Only problem is that it's apparently a new size so I can't find a protector for it. Good thing I left the one it shipped with on.
Touch. The capacitative touch is very responsive. If I get my finger too close it'll select whether I meant to or not. I gotta get used to that.
Speed. It loads web pages pretty quick in either Opera or Dolphin but Chrome doesn't do so well. My favorite games are a lot faster too.
Pre-loaded apps. It does come with a lot of bloat like my phone did so that's a plus. The stuff that is on there is very useful.
Battery. It's great. I can use it pretty much all day long and only need to charge it around a normal person's bed time.
Sound. It's okay. I didn't expect much so I can't be too disappointed about it.

Dislikes:
Keyboard. It's a tablet so I guess that's the same no matter what kind I got.
RAM. 512mb seems to be the standard at this price point but with Ice Cream sandwich, it could use 1g or more. I have to kill apps a lot when the thing starts slowing down. Once I do that, it's back to normal.
Camera. .3mp What the hell is that? It's front facing so basically it's just a web cam but it sucks at being a web cam. Of course when I tried that it was before I discovered the memory clearing thing so I might need to reserve judgement.
That little adapter cord. It comes with a cord to go from usb b to usb a that I keep misplacing. I need a cover with a cord holder :shame:

Overall 4 out of 5 stars. It meets my current needs pretty well. Maybe if I decide to participate in social media more I'll need to upgrade but for reading books, watching movies, and in bed net surfing it's a keeper. It's tough too. My akita has stepped on it a few times and it still looks new.

12%2520-%25203.jpg

12%2520-%25202.jpg

I made the stand out of some of the bamboo I got to make a dog trailer to pull behind the bicycle for my cocker and a coat hanger.

It's been about a week since I got it and I'm completely addicted to the little thing! For something that I didn't think I'd use a lot, I've been using it a lot since I got it. I'm chalking that up to the "it's new" effect. :flash:

Screen. It's 9 inches and sufficiently bright even at it's lowest setting. Only problem is that it's apparently a new size so I can't find a protector for it. Good thing I left the one it shipped with on.
Touch. The capacitative touch is very responsive. If I get my finger too close it'll select whether I meant to or not. I gotta get used to that.
Speed. It loads web pages pretty quick in either Opera or Dolphin but Chrome doesn't do so well. My favorite games are a lot faster too.
Pre-loaded apps. It does come with a lot of bloat like my phone did so that's a plus. The stuff that is on there is very useful.
Battery. It's great. I can use it pretty much all day long and only need to charge it around a normal person's bed time.
Sound. It's okay. I didn't expect much so I can't be too disappointed about it.

Dislikes:
Keyboard. It's a tablet so I guess that's the same no matter what kind I got.
RAM. 512mb seems to be the standard at this price point but with Ice Cream sandwich, it could use 1g or more. I have to kill apps a lot when the thing starts slowing down. Once I do that, it's back to normal.
Camera. .3mp What the hell is that? It's front facing so basically it's just a web cam but it sucks at being a web cam. Of course when I tried that it was before I discovered the memory clearing thing so I might need to reserve judgement.
That little adapter cord. It comes with a cord to go from usb b to usb a that I keep misplacing. I need a cover with a cord holder :shame:

Overall 4 out of 5 stars. It meets my current needs pretty well. Maybe if I decide to participate in social media more I'll need to upgrade but for reading books, watching movies, and in bed net surfing it's a keeper. It's tough too. My akita has stepped on it a few times and it still looks new.

12%2520-%25203.jpg

12%2520-%25202.jpg

I made the stand out of some of the bamboo I got to make a dog trailer to pull behind the bicycle for my cocker and a coat hanger.

Thats way too close to the edge of the railing! It looks like a long way down to the floor from there! :eek5:

Back