Canon EOS Rebel XS 10.1MP SLR (Woot.com, 12/13)

It's a decent deal on a piece of very outdated equipment.... I personally wouldn't go for it... At that price point, a better buy is a Canon S95 point and shoot... More zoom, better low light capability... Newer sensor....

If you're looking to get into a DSLR, I recommend you join the forum over at POTN...(google it)... In their classifieds, the Rebel XS with kit lens goes for $300-$350... But if I were looking for an entry level DSLR, I'd be looking for either a T3i, or a good, used 40D or 50D... The 40D or 50D especially if you've got regular human male sized hands.

I got a used Nikon D60 DSLR camera (frame + AF-S DX 18-55mm VR lens) for 250$ from and old lady that never used it (christmas gift). I got very lucky but if you search, you'll find great deals!

2009 Retail price : 699,99$ CND

Last edited:
the T3i will be dropping in price inevitably before too long... Canon seems to have gotten themselves on a 1 year replacement on the Rebel line.... I'm not quite sure what they were thinking with the T3... I guess just an entry level, low cost version for the cash-strapped folks.... but everyone has to start somewhere....

Their point and shoot cameras are coming a long way though, the new S100 has a Digic 5 processor, which is the same chip used in the brand new Canon 1DX.... so, that's super-duper awesome... I recently picked up a Canon SX230HS as a "sidearm" ... and it's a pretty stout little point and shoot... it does great in low light...

It depends on what you're looking for I suppose... But, for anyone looking to enter the world of DSLR goodness, let me know via PM... I actually run an "invitation only" forum for photographers I know.... a pretty dang good group of guys, we have bi-weekly competitions to work on our skills, discuss processing techniques and trends in photography, provide real-world reviews on camera gear that we own, and all sorts of other fun stuff.... but since it's invitation only, you've gotta let me know if you want to join.

Back