Changing your own tires... Tool discussion

FZ1inTX

Adminstrator
Who here has changed their own tires? What tools do you have to do this? What tips? Tricks? High tech? Rudimentary devices?

Please share your arsenal as well as what we know of on the market. Do you have friends with these items and use theirs? What are your reviews of these things?

Talk it up!

I change my own tires every time.... although... I may not be the best person to ask about methods....

My equipment:
Lift - Snap-On Desperado Lift
Balancer - Snap-On Computerized Balancer
Tire-Machine : This guy
atc400-0.jpg

Part of the job.... breaking the bead. Hmmm... I've mulled over purchasing tools but often wonder what the quality is. Will it damage my wheels? The price range is from nearly free to thousands!

Has anyone used this device? Buy Now: Motorcycle Bead Breaker Tire Iron Bead BrakR | Pashnit Moto

I also found this hand-made rig that, while crude, looks strong enough to do the job. I'm considering mounting the arm to the garage wall and making a floor plate to secure the tire that I can pick up and also hang on the wall. When not in use, it will all be out of the way. Maybe, if I can pick up a welder, make it out of steel later with some hard rubber (hockey) pucks for securing the wheel and to press the tire.

attachment.php

I change my own tires every time.... although... I may not be the best person to ask about methods....

My equipment:
Lift - Snap-On Desperado Lift
Balancer - Snap-On Computerized Balancer
Tire-Machine : This guy
atc400-0.jpg

What is it you do for work Aaron? Do you work in or run a motorcycle shop? :D

Maybe I just need a house closer to Aaron! :icon_beer:

What are some tire tools that the average guy can (afford) obtain that you'd recommend for the garage?

Based on all of your experiences, what's the average cost for having your tire changed and balanced?

I have two bikes and we plan on holding on to these ones. If anything, I'd add one to the stable, not trade out either of them. So, at what point should a decent changer come into play where I'm saving money? Around here, it can range from $35 to $50 depending on the shop, the quality of THEIR equipment and whether or not you've brought in the wheel or the entire bike.

For Joe Average.... on a FZ1... you can skip the lift for the most part... if you have the room and REALLY want one... a cheap alternative to our $7k+ Hydraulic lift is a $600-$900 Pneumatic Lift.....

Required Equipment:
Tire Irons. - Get the type that are plastic coated on one half.
Compressor - This is a no brainer... if you're actually going to be "changing" tires.. you need air.
Bead Breaker: - Harbor Freight Tools - Quality Tools at the Lowest Prices
98875.gif

balancer: Get yourself a truing stand.
255820383_tp.jpg

They can be had cheap: PORTABLE MOTORCYCLE TIRE WHEEL BALANCER TRUING STAND : eBay Motors (item 170404200648 end time Apr-06-10 18:02:02 PDT)
and they actually allow you to change your own tire completely... an unbalanced tire is a waste.

That's absolute minimum... past that... A no mar changing station is nice...

You really don't need the fanciest stuff in the world to change tires... it's really an easy job... very expensive equipment makes it nice and easy and downright pleasant to do... but... Average Joe spending $30k on equipment... you'll NEVER get that return back.... unless you start changing every tire in the neighborhood and charging $40-$60 each for them....

Figure out how many tires you change a year.... multiply that by the cost at a motorcycle shop... multiply that by 5 years.... that's what you should be willing to spend on DIY equipment....

Good video Tony. Thanks for the link.

As an FYI... most of what I'm asking is to fill the thread for people who haven't done this. While I haven't on my last three bikes, I have many times in the past with crude tools and strong arms. ;) This is to build a thread for people who want to do their own work and give them options to look at and help them decide if it will be effort or money. :tup:

Here is another video from youtube on an fz1 tire change, maybe just maybe this guy is from the south :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC9_J1MOYls]YouTube - Yamaha FZ1 Tire Change[/ame]

I have changed lots of tires on dirt bikes but I have always paid a professional to do the job on my "mag" wheels. They seem to still be able to scratch the powdercoating or anodizing so maybe its time to start doing my own. That video indicates I need to improve my technique. I DEFINATELY have to build one of those 2x4 bead breakers and I'll give the furniture polish a try unless I hear bad things about it.....like the rims will spin in the tires or something. Has to be more slippery than dish soap and water.

Roy

I've heard Aquanet hair spray. After it provides the great lube, it dries out, helps to stick and seal the beads too. But I was also told to not put the valve stem core in if you use the hair spray, just fill with air to pop the beads and let the air out which expells most of the hair spray. Then, put the core in and fill to spec.

I'm still trying to locate a local place to fill the tires with nitrogen too.

I've heard Aquanet hair spray. After it provides the great lube, it dries out, helps to stick and seal the beads too. But I was also told to not put the valve stem core in if you use the hair spray, just fill with air to pop the beads and let the air out which expells most of the hair spray. Then, put the core in and fill to spec.

I'm still trying to locate a local place to fill the tires with nitrogen too.

If you leave the core out it's much easier to seat the beads since you can get so much more air in the tire. I've never changed a motorcycle tires, but have done plenty of car tires using that method. Uncle used to own a repair shop and I worked there every Summer and after school since about the time I was 12 years old or so. That went on until my college years...

When I got out of the Army, I filled a gap in employment working at a local garage for two years. This was how we did the cager's tires too.

I figure if I set the compressor for 60 lbs at the dial, I can't overfill the bike's tire anyway. Quick in and quick out!

Ok, after I'v broken the bead.... NOW HERES THE TRICK........ none of us want to scratch our aluminum wheels, so what I then do is cut up a milkjug and get a circular or rectangular piece that is the size of the palm of your hand, you'll need to make two of them,........fold it in half, bang the fold with a mallet or hammer so it will stay folded in half and then push it between the tire bead and wheel.........only then can I use the tire irons to push between the bead and wheel and pull and roll off the bead of the tire over the wheel lip, insert another milkjug protector a little further down and roll it over the rim again. by this time the first protector can be pulled and replaced further down the wheel and again the bead rolled over the wheel lip. By this time you can usually just pull the rest of the bead off by hand, but you now have saved the wheel the pressure and gouges likely that tire irons would have made in your wheels. My point is how to get the tire off after it has been bead-broken without gouging up your wheel faces.

Last edited:
Back