Come on people, let's talk!

You're kidding, right?
I get about 200 to 220 miles between fillups on the FZ1, and it usually takes 4.3 to 4.5 gallons.
Usually fill up pretty close to when the \"reserve\" light comes on. I figure about 50 to 51 mpg commuting, and about 45mpg playing(depending on how hard I play). 168 miles today, and it's showing 1/4 tank left on the guage.:D

How are you able to go that far? Is your bike a gen 1 or 2? Have you changed the jetting or mapping? My stock gen 2 only goes about 150 miles before I'm nervously looking for a gas station.

It's a gen1.
5.5 gallon tank. Running 16/46 gearing and cruising around 70 to 75mph. Has Ivans jet kit, a 3 degree timing advacer, and a yosh TRS slip-on. That's about it. Oh yeah, a modded airbox with a BMC filter. It's just always got good gas mileage.;)

Edited to add: Just saw pics of your bike...If you would take some of the camping/traveling gear off of it, it would get better mileage! poke poke wink wink nod nod...
Just kidding with ya!

Last edited:
Hello ... my name is John. I'm 39, single, no kids. I'm justing getting back into bikes. I haven't had one since '91 or so. Started on dirt bikes/mopeds as a kid. My first street bike at age 18 was a '82 Yamaha Virago 750. Soon after came an '86 Fazer 700 ... what a fun bike that was! I still think they look badass ... 23 years later.

Anyway I got the bug to get a bike about 3 months ago out of no where. I was torn between a getting a slightly used VMax or FZ1 ... and ended up buying a new '07 Black FZ1 that was held over at a dealership a couple of weeks ago. Sure it's a different bike that my first Fazer, but how could I not get another Fazer?

I have to say it's been a lot of fun, but I'm a little worried that I may have 50 speeding tickets before 2008 is over. It is so hard to drive slow.

Other stuff I like to do ... golf (although I haven't played much this year), play guitar/sing ...

Welcome Actungtwister John. I always liked those older Fazers, wish I could find one somewhere at a decent price. Enjoy your new ride, but remember, if you are right handed, you'll sign the ticket with the same hand that got you the ticket...Just tell that hand "NO TICKETS!" and you'll be fine. I have to look my right hand right in the knuckle and say "stop it!" sometimes in a firm voice, it doesn't listen...;):D:innocent:

My name is Bruce,and I am a motorcycleaholic!

You're kidding, right?
I get about 200 to 220 miles between fillups on the FZ1, and it usually takes 4.3 to 4.5 gallons.
Usually fill up pretty close to when the \\"reserve\\" light comes on. I figure about 50 to 51 mpg commuting, and about 45mpg playing(depending on how hard I play). 168 miles today, and it's showing 1/4 tank left on the guage.:D
Geez, you gotta have a GenI, cause there aint no way in hell My GenII can get anywhere near 200 per tank. On my '04 200+ per tank full was expected, now with the GenII I'm lucky to see 160 when I'm just cruising around, the funny thing is cranking the throttle doesn't seem to hurt the milage on these injected bikes. (Well, at least not any worse than normal compared with those carburated machines!)

I've visited several other FZ1 sites and the consensus really seems to be this: the gen I are better out of the hole, but the gen II kills on the top end. the gen I gets far superior gas milage, but the gen II has ........ well, alright the gen I gets better gas milage, but at least I never have to worry again about some guy flying up to me at a light to tell me how cool my glowing red pipes are because I forgot to turn off the damn choke.

It's funny but last weekend I had a chance to ride my old bike again ( my friend and I swaped and went on a long run) and I didn't like it for the first 20 miles or so, the performance was just so ..... I don't know , off , different than the gen II they really are different animals. But once we got to moving along the feeling of the bike came back to me and I really enjoyed it, especially the wheelies, which the gen II really don't want no part of unless you're willing to use alot of clutch, but the bike felt like it had no sack at all up in the rrrrr's (which is where the gen II lives to make it's power) and the ergonomics felt all funky after the last 4 months on the new FZ. Once back on the new bike everything felt right, natural, but my partner bitched the whole time about how much he hated the feel and power curve of the gen II and said he'll take his anytime over mine. ( He didn't seem to frustrated when he went by me at 100 mph though, and he did seem like he could force himself to get used to the different engine characteristics when he really wanted to get on it, hmmmmmmm:innocent::cool:) . So all things being equal, and they aint, I guess you love the new, but remember the old, and the old weren't half bad!

I have had over 50 bikes in a lifetime of riding, dirt to choppers, Harley to Hodaka, 50cc to 130 ci. I live to ride and ride every chance I can, when I'm not riding I try to be scuba diving. 45 and just getting started, life is good and getting better.

I'm Tom, 28, and I work in the city during the week and on fridays I make my way out of the city and spend the weekends in michigan with my girlfriend. The FZ1 is my first street bike. I've heard more than 100 times that the FZ is not a first bike for anyone. Thankfully I fully disagreed with everyone b/c the FZ is a great bike and I cant imagine a bike with any less performance. I even passed my road test with the FZ while I saw a guy on a Harley sportster and a ninja 250 both fail. It may have something to do with the fact that I have rode dirt bikes since i was 5, my last being a YZ450! (Including a '79 yamaha enduro that may have seen some street time when I was 10 :innocent: ) But seriously the FZ was probably a great starter bike for me b/c I showed it more respect and rode very cautiously compared to if I would have bought a smaller bike. I'm just now getting into the mod thing. At first I thought the FZ would never need to be any faster for me...but as all of you know that doesnt last too long! Most of mods have been cosmetic, but I'm now getting into the performance stuff. I ride the 2 hrs back and forth b/t chicago and michigan during on the weekends and then do my "fun" riding in michigan on the weekends. Other than riding I wakeboard in the summer, deer hunt in the fall and snowboard in the winter.

How are you able to go that far? Is your bike a gen 1 or 2? Have you changed the jetting or mapping? My stock gen 2 only goes about 150 miles before I'm nervously looking for a gas station.
Well i finally did it !!!:eek: after 34 miles on empty (about 3 miles from home)a few coughs and splutters and im walking for my petrol can!!!

Hi all you FZEE-ER's and the GEEZER
Name's Henry, I hail from SUNNY SOUTH AFRICA. Been riding Yamaha's since I was fifteen (Now 50). I've just migrated from the FJR Forum. Rode a FJR1300 for the last for months but found it too heavy as a commuter (Awesome for touring). Main problem is that I dropped the FJR in traffic three times and decided to change to something a little lighter. Hence the FZ1000 (2007 model) which I took delivery of today and am like a little boy in a toy store. In comparison the FZ feels like a bicycle with a rather large motor, and I just looooove it.

Here is an artists impression of my SCOOT, only difference is my one is fitted with a Micron Racing pipe wich is a little loud but I'll see how long I can avoid the authorities.

For my sins I'm a Systems Engineer and attempt to play golf on the odd occasion.

View attachment 205

I've never witnessed the birth of a forum before this one. So feeling a bit fatherly here, I want to know about everyone of you. What do you like to do? What are you good at? How many bikes have you owned? You know, just general chat. I invite all of you to chat with me, and get this forum off to a good start, I know a little about a lot, but not a lot about much. I'm willing to teach and willing to learn. I love "better" ideas, and I'll bet you guys are full of them.
I'll start: My name is Scott, some call me geezer. I am 45 years old, happily married, with 2 beautiful teenaged daughters. I have been riding street bikes since I was 15. I am a decent mechanic, and make my own custom parts. I am a "big brother" to a fine crew of young men ranging in age from 25 down to 12(that's where the name geezer came from). I like all bikes, and have had my share of them. At one time, I had 21 street bikes, all of them running! I've had some wicked fast bikes(h2 750 tripple) and some slow ones(rebel).
I'll sit and talk with you for hours about bikes and cars.
Talk to me, and let's get this post count up!
My name is Ryan, I live in Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada. I've been riding since I was 13 years old. I've only had a couple of bikes. My last one was a 1987 305cc Kawasaki street bike, and this spring I decided I needed something better. After sitting on, and checking out every bike I could think of I decided on a new 2007 FZ1 at my local dealer. I love the bike, and was really sad to have to park it for the winter last week. I sell cars for the Mazda dealer in Saskatoon, I'm not married, but I got engaged this summer. I also have a passion for mountain bike racing, ultimate frisbee, and downhill skiing. I pretty much love anything that get's me outside and gives me a rush of adrenalin. I don't have much of a knack for working with my hands, so all my maintenance is done at the dealer. That's pretty much me in a nutshell.

wish I was just watching rain come down... it's been snowing here like nuts... I've got a modded airbox lid, a Factory Pro jet kit, and a timing advance just sitting here... none of which will see the bike until probably February.

Name is Adam, 35, with two boys, BROdy and HAYden (3 and 2 years old) Commercial G.C./Consultant for a developer who primarily focuses on Tribal (Indian) Economic Development all over the US.

All my bike experience up to this point (March '08), hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, uhhhhhhhhhhh none really, in the sense that I owned my own. Walked into my local bike shop and fell in love with the '01 FZ1 (they tried to stick me on newer, but it just didn't feel right and I'm glad that I listened to the little voice inside my head)

Outdoor activities -- hiking/biking/camping/riding (FZ and horseback)

Watching the rain come down, letting my foot heal. Wishing I could ride my bike with all my new mods.

And yourself Stonesie?

had a sprinkling of snow this morning ! so im playing with my dremel in the kitchen polishing my new radial brake mounts, when i got them i didnt realise i also needed the spindle but ive managed to find one should have it in a week or two:) hope yer recovery's goin well!

wish I was just watching rain come down... it's been snowing here like nuts... I've got a modded airbox lid, a Factory Pro jet kit, and a timing advance just sitting here... none of which will see the bike until probably February.

bet ya can't wait for the spring :D

Name is Adam, 35, with two boys, BROdy and HAYden (3 and 2 years old) Commercial G.C./Consultant for a developer who primarily focuses on Tribal (Indian) Economic Development all over the US.

All my bike experience up to this point (March '08), hmmmmmmmmmmmmm, uhhhhhhhhhhh none really, in the sense that I owned my own. Walked into my local bike shop and fell in love with the '01 FZ1 (they tried to stick me on newer, but it just didn't feel right and I'm glad that I listened to the little voice inside my head)

Outdoor activities -- hiking/biking/camping/riding (FZ and horseback)

I went the other way egnored the voice in my head and i have'nt stopped laughing since:D:):D:)

Hi, Already kinda introduced me in the Europe section
(http://www.998cc.org/forum/europe/590-hello-belgium.html)

As they say in Belgium, I'm since this year on tram4 (being 40y) and I've been riding roadbikes since I got my license at the age of 18.

The bikes I've been riding:
Suzuki GS850 : how to ride a bike
Honda CBX400F2 : how to corner a bike
Kawasaki KZ1100 : mistake
Kawasaki GPZ1100 : how to use the throttle
Thompson mountainbiking : due to money in the house and dipers (2 kids) sold the bike and was forced to ride this cheaper alternative (but loved it though)
Yamaha XJ900S Diversion : how to ride a bike properly (I took this bike to the mountains, tracks, exam exercises, riding lessons)
on the track in France
DSCF0208_1.jpg

Yamaha FZ1-SA : my current BIG SMILE bike...had enough of second hand bikes, and as it was staring at me in my dealershop...I did no listen to the little €voice, and bought this brandnew awesome looking bike...and it rides awesome :)

To pay the bills: I'm a Quality Manager, reveiwing performance of suppliers to my company (International Telecommunication) Bakground is electronic engineering.
Married, two kids (boy 15y, girl 13y) and live near Antwerp-Belgium.
Hobbies: motorbike, movies, comics

Last edited:
:)Like yourself this is my first new bike ,my only worry was having to let someone else do the servicing for the waranty but everythings been spot on !

Back