Considering FZ1 Over FZ6--Your Help please

I had a 2009 FZ6 for about a year until 3 months ago--traded her for an ST1300. I'm now considering adding a more nimble bike back to my garage.

Can you please tell me advantages of a 2010 FZ1 over say an FY09 FZ6? Also, are there any known issues with the FZ1? Be honest please despite the bias on this forum...:cool:. Thanks......Jeff.

Edited to add: I'm 47, 5'9", with a 30" inseam, and once I loose 25 lbs I'll be back to my athletic 165 lbs. self. And while I enjoy my VTX1800 too, it seems my preferred style of riding is more quick and agile.

Last edited:
I think there are a couple of riders on this forum that have had FZ6 and now have an FZ1, hopefully they see your thread. I have only had an FZ1.

i had a 2009 fz6 for about a year until 3 months ago--traded her for an st1300. I'm now considering adding a more nimble bike back to my garage.

Can you please tell me advantages of a 2010 fz1 over say an fy09 fz6? Also, are there any known issues with the fz1? Be honest please despite the bias on this forum...:cool:. Thanks......jeff.
i've had both 07fz6, 07fz1, 10fz1, loved the look of the under tail exhaust on the fz6 great bike, the 10fz1 has factory ungrade on the ecu ( i think thats what they call it ) has better low end and midrange now.

I think there are a couple of riders on this forum that have had FZ6 and now have an FZ1, hopefully they see your thread. I have only had an FZ1.

I'm one of them. If you have the means, get the FZ1. I've been through a number of bikes, and like you, I recently got an '09 C14 and then a '10 C14. I've got nearly 15,000 miles on those two bikes but they simply don't replace the FZ's. Between the FZ6 and the FZ1, as Hellgate said, the 1 is better at everything other than mileage, which it sucks at: about 35 MPG depending on how you handle the throttle.

For a good laugh, I had posted this in the FZ6 forum when someone asked "FZ6 vs. FZ1?"

I drove both the 2005 FZ6 and then the 2008 FZ6. I traded up for the FZ1 for the following reasons:

1. It took SOOOO long to get through a tank of fuel on the FZ6. I couldn't stand riding that many miles without stopping. My savings account was still growing and getting too fat with the lack of fuel expense.

2. I *NEEDED* more POWER! :squid[1]: The 6 just couldn't haul my fat arse around fast enough and I am simply too darned American and lazy with my desk job to do the free FZ6 HP increase (lose 30 lbs) so I bought MORE HP.

3. Adjustable suspension - FZ6 doesn't have it, FZ1 does! One day, I'll actually adjust it too!

4. Looks! The FZ6 has such a FAT head on the front! I like the smaller fairing on the FZ1... this allows a TON more air to hit my chest and really has strengthened my neck (trying to hold my bobble-head still at socially spirited speeds).

5. Akshay has one!

6. I can't stand to own a bike outright and simply HAD to have payments again!

7. It was Cobalt Blue, like my '08 FZ6. I only wanted the FZ1 bars but they told me the whole damned bike had to go with it. Stupid me, eh?

8. I want to kill myself FASTER! (OF course, I went the wrong way on engine size since a damned Ninja 250 can haul arse through the corners a LOT faster than my heavy beast of burden)

9. I wanted to change my forum name to hide my past mistakes! It is still a secret as to whom I *USED* to be! :rolleyes:

10. I wanted to say :Rockon: & :yes: & : owned: to all of you who don't have an FZ1.

:jk: I hope you all take this for the joke that it is! :D

:poke: FZ1inNH and :spank2:

Pseudo-

I came to the FZ1 last winter after 5 years on a ST1300.
Great bike for the long haul!

I'm gonna say it all depends on what you want out of a second bike.

Seeing that the ST fills your touring needs, I'm assuming you're just looking for a lighter one-up play bike.

If that is the case, and if I were the one making the decision, I'd opt for the FZ6 just because it's lighter, no touring duties needed, cheaper to insure, etc.

When my ST was in the stable, I went through several play bikes, beginning with a 1992 VFR, then a 2002 Kawasaki ZRX1200R, then I settled on a 2007 Suzuki DR-Z400 Supermoto-which I still have.

Of course after riding the ST, the FZ1 feels like a featherweight. :tup:

I (Akshay) had one and it was a great bike. Great handling and a great commuter. I still miss it sometimes. But one thing FZ1 ended, was the lust to replace it with another bike. I may add a SS later this year but FZ1 is going to stay forever. Once you have the FZ1, and do the tasteful upgrades (see sig), you would no longer want a different bike. I have seen now far too many that sold their FZ1s want/bought them back.

Get the FZ1

I had my FZ6R for less than a year before I upgraded to my FZ1. The weight difference is very nearly nonexistent. You will not even notice.

The FZ1 feels much more solid and handles like a dream. I would never go back without kicking and screaming. I love my FZ1.

The power difference is a thing of beauty. There is so much more power it is unbelievable.

I do not like the fuel range at about 125 miles per fill up but I am getting 38.2 mpg since new. I have about 2300 miles on my bike since 1/22/11. The FZ6R got better mileage and had more range.

Get the FZ1. I don't think you will be sorry.

Thanks for all the responses so far. I edited my post to add:

Edited to add: I'm 47, 5'9", with a 30" inseam, and once I loose 25 lbs I'll be back to my athletic 165 lbs. self. And while I enjoy my VTX1800 too, it seems my preferred style of riding is more quick and agile

I came from a ST1300. I rode a demo FZ6 when I was looking. After the ST the FZ6 felt like just not enough of anything. I had to purchase the FZ1 without a test ride. I have not considered trading for anything since that day with the possible exception for the s1000rr but I purchased the FZ1 for half the cost of the BMW.

AW

I came from a ST1300. I rode a demo FZ6 when I was looking. After the ST the FZ6 felt like just not enough of anything. I had to purchase the FZ1 without a test ride. I have not considered trading for anything since that day with the possible exception for the s1000rr but I purchased the FZ1 for half the cost of the BMW.

AW

Yeah, since the dealer still has my FZ6 I could probably buy it back, but feel like I will need more now......

You robably already know the answer, "there's no substitute for displacement" and that's why you had a ST 1300 instead of a smaller displacement vehicle. The FZ1 will terrify a ST 1300 and it will simply outdo a FZ6 because of it's displacement advantage. The FZ6 is a very good bike, no doubt about it but when you are doing slower maneuvers and want to move out without going down a gear or two, the torque advantage and ultimately the H.P. advantage becomes obvious. With your size, the FZ1, I think is a better choice. Unless you need the ST 1300 for two-up riding, you probably won't need it any more. I will say that although some riders do go the two-up route with the FZ1, I think the passenger would rather have more seat and room if they were honest.

Back