Delkevic exhaust: I am no longer a fan.

On the way from work today, I noticed the bike sounded louder and raspier/tinnier than usual.

Got home and examined the exhaust:

u5ab.jpg

ftd5.jpg

That whole area where my hand is (about 4 square inches) is soft and *empty*.

I called up Delkevic and a very nice lady told me their warranty is 1 year.

Now, I'm not saying that Delk is crap.. I don't know how well the *good* names hold up. This thing lasted less than 2 years.. a bit over 12k miles. Not bad for the price, I suppose.. having paid less $200 shipped for it.

Nope it's definitely crap.
That shouldn't happen to a 2 year old exhaust. Looks like they skimped on the fiberglass packing.

For $200 you can't expect Akra quality.

Sent from my GT-I9300

This thing lasted less than 2 years.. a bit over 12k miles. Not bad for the price, I suppose.. having paid less $200 shipped for it.

I'd say that is shit. 12,000 miles is unacceptable, budget brand or not. I guess that's mainly dry weather riding as well? Imagine how long it would last if subjected to inclement weather!

That sucks for you, Erci! What a disappointment

I'd say that is shit. 12,000 miles is unacceptable, budget brand or not. I guess that's mainly dry weather riding as well? Imagine how long it would last if subjected to inclement weather!

That sucks for you, Erci! What a disappointment

I can't say that most of my riding has been in the dry. I've ridden quite a few times in heavy downpours and have ridden in the snow few times. Not sure how that affected the exhaust, if at all.

Any way you slice it, lesson learned. Time to look for a quality pipe.

It still shouldn't have opened up like that. I ran a GYTR carbon exhaust for over two years and it is still like new. I also work with carbon fibre a lot and for it to split open like that, it wasn't done properly. Either not enough overlap on the seam, not enough resin or a bad resin mix. You can fix it by laying some new carbon on the inside of the can & you will hardly notice it from the outside.

It still shouldn't have opened up like that. I ran a GYTR carbon exhaust for over two years and it is still like new. I also work with carbon fibre a lot and for it to split open like that, it wasn't done properly. Either not enough overlap on the seam, not enough resin or a bad resin mix. You can fix it by laying some new carbon on the inside of the can & you will hardly notice it from the outside.

Yeah, looks like simple repacking won't fix this. The entire inside part (the side facing the swingarm) is mushy. I can push it in 1/2" - 3/4" inch without putting much pressure on it.

Repacking I would definitely tackle, but laying new fiber.. I think I'll just get a new quality pipe.

Thanks, everyone!!

Just curious. Do you have your AIS blocked? If not, some people have posted that excessive popping and back firing through the exhaust can cause such a failure. Probably shouldn't fail like that either way though.

Just curious. Do you have your AIS blocked? If not, some people have posted that excessive popping and back firing through the exhaust can cause such a failure. Probably shouldn't fail like that either way though.

Interesting.. never saw such info. Nope, never blocked my AIS.

Interesting.. never saw such info. Nope, never blocked my AIS.

If your getting popping/backfiring, that can and will destroy any carbon can under the right circumstances. I've seen a ducati with a split Akropovic from a backfire.

Little pop,pop,pops usually wont cause a problem but if you get the occasional big BOOM ( deeper more thunderous ) that will split a can.

Last edited:
I just took apart my FMF pipe for the first time, it's not that hard. FMF four stroke packing was 9.95 a bag. Check a dirt bike store.

Try to take it apart if nothing more than to see what happened inside and learn how to repack a can. Perhaps you can slip a piece of sheet metal on the inside of the crack to fill in the soft spot, repack it with the new packing and good to go the rest of the season. Just a cheap thought.

I just took apart my FMF pipe for the first time, it's not that hard. FMF four stroke packing was 9.95 a bag. Check a dirt bike store.

Try to take it apart if nothing more than to see what happened inside and learn how to repack a can. Perhaps you can slip a piece of sheet metal on the inside of the crack to fill in the soft spot, repack it with the new packing and good to go the rest of the season. Just a cheap thought.

I'll be getting a new exhaust, but I definitely plan to take this one apart to see how it looks on the inside. Thanks!

I'm pretty sure I have the same slip on. I will be interested to see what it looks like what you get it apart. Please post some pictures for us. Mine is a little over a year old and I have been very pleased with it.

It has about 6000 miles on it.

It does pop a bit on deceleration but not very loudly and I enjoy the sound.

Popping is normal with any exhaust unless you plug AIS, so that's fine.
If I were you, I would re-pack it right now. 6k miles sounds just about right (based on the fact that TwoBrothers recommends re-pack at 5k and Yosh at 7.5k)

Re-pack kits are $10 - $20 and rivet gun is another $20. Looks like a pretty easy job too. I will definitely post up pics when I pull it apart (probably towards the end of next week).

Back